Archery Talk Forum banner

Quick help with Boot selection!

873 Views 11 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  Steadfast1
I am a beginner bow hunter and am right now using some older boots. I hunt with my Father-in-Law in Southern New Jersey, so the temperatures are usually between 20-30 Degrees Fahrenheit. I am looking to buy a pair of good hunting boots and was wondering what some peoples opinions were on the issue. How many grams of Thermolite should I look for? Any brands to avoid or specifically consider?

Any help would be appreciated!!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
153 Posts
There are a lot of good boots out there. I have used a couple different types of Danners (Pronghorns and Acadia's) that I liked. Not for hunting but similar usage. Word of advice. Make sure to try them on with the type of socks you intend to be wearing.

· Registered
745 Posts
I bought a pair of lacrosse alpha lites and they are great
Not the warmest but they are a great bowhunting boot and completely waterproof
Also they have an appetizing price tag as well

Sent from iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you both very much! I will definitely take the advice of trying them on with the socks that I'll be wearing in the woods.

Any difference between the rubber boots Vs. the laced ones? Just personal preference?

· Arrow-minded Conservative
3,313 Posts
Make sure they are roomy.

Tight boots = cold feet.

· Registered
1,283 Posts
Some guys go with rubber boots because they won't hold human scent like a leather boot will. LaCrosse and Danner are good boots. Rocky and Irish Setter are decent too. As far as Thinsulate, it depends on if your feet get cold easily. If it's 20-30 degrees I'll wear wool socks and a boot that has 400 grams thinsulate. I don't like heavy and bulky boots so I use wool socks and toe warmers to make up for lack of insulation in the boot.

· Registered
12,074 Posts
Like others have said, make sure the boot fits properly. You want some room, for air to move in and out. This is key to keep your feet warm. Also get yourself a good pair for wicker and wool socks. Besides that if your hunting late season might want to look into boot blankets

· Registered
4,940 Posts
You are going to get just about the same number of opinions are there are brands/styles of boots.

My simple advice for that weather would be 400-600 grams of Thinsulate, or even 800-1000grams if you are prone to cold feet and plan to sit in a stand a lot vs walking or still hunting. Rubber vs lace up is personal preference, some folks say scent doesn't stick to rubber boots like it does cordura or leather...I personally don't think it matters. I don't wear rubber boots because my feet sweat too much and they don't breath. So my second piece of advice is to get something that is waterproof but breathes (gortex, dry plus, etc). Third, as already noted, get them to fit correctly with a heavy pair of socks; too tight restricts blood flow and makes for cold feet. Fourth piece of advice, go to a store that sells lots of good hunting boots like Bass Pro, Cabelas, Gander Mountain,etc...what ever you have in your area and try them on. You can order online once you figure out what you like and what size you need, but remember different brands of boots fit differently. Finally, don't cheap out on boots. I've purchased cheap boots (well under $100) and expensive boots ($150 plus) and I've found that you really do get what you pay for. Spend upwards of $125-175, unless you can find something on sale.

· Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Everyone!

Thank you so much for all of the great help! This is all going into making the start of my bow hunting passion that much better!

I have tried on both rubber and lace up boots and feel a little more comfortable in the rubber style. I am a smaller guy and do get cold relatively easy so I will take the advice and invest in boots worth the price and in the 800-1000 gram range.

But is there such thing as too much Thermolite? I only ask this because of this great deal that I just found on Cabela's website:

http://goo.gl/5rMFt

They are the "Cabela's Comfort Trac™ Rubber Boots – 2,000-gram Mossy Oak® Break-Up®" for only $50!!!

Oh and by the way... I am beginning to think that my smartest move yet in the whole process of preparing to bow hunt was signing up for a username here on AT!!

· Registered
410 Posts
I live and hunt in south jersey also. I use Lacrosse burlys for the early season, I have the new Under Armour HAW boots for the rest of the season. If it gets real cold I have Rocky Bear Claws. I like a knee high rubber boot because of how versatile they are with all the different terrain there is here. So if I had to pick a great all around boot, I love the Under Armour HAW's. Super light, tough, warm and comfortable

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.