Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my new GT500 and as I was unpacking the box a friend grabbed it and tried to draw it back. As he grabbed the handle, he also caught the cable for the QAD HD rest and ripped it from the thumbwheel.

The cable has a little burn on the end of it which I guess was supposed to keep it from pulling out, but there is also a tiny grub screw that allows you to clamp the thumbwheel down.

So what I can't figure out is if I just enlarge the blob on the end of the cable will that solve the problem?

The reason that I a suspicious is because the first time I managed to get the cable back through the hole, when I got back to full draw the cable ripped most of the way though the thumbwheel, so it seems as though it is a little bit too short.

Since I didn't install it, I don't know how it was to start with, and I can't get hold of the guy who did the job.
But I'll assume that he left the cable as it was on the thumbwheel end then cut off any excess or moved it alone at the buss cable end of it.

I've been waiting for this bow for 8 months now, and as soon as it gets home, I con't shoot the damn thing.
How's that for frustrating?
If anyone can just confirm how the cable is attatched from the factory, I would appreciate it and can start shooting.

Thanks.

·
Banned
3,170 Posts
I just got my new GT500 and as I was unpacking the box a friend grabbed it and tried to draw it back. As he grabbed the handle, he also caught the cable for the QAD HD rest and ripped it from the thumbwheel.

The cable has a little burn on the end of it which I guess was supposed to keep it from pulling out, but there is also a tiny grub screw that allows you to clamp the thumbwheel down.

So what I can't figure out is if I just enlarge the blob on the end of the cable will that solve the problem?

The reason that I a suspicious is because the first time I managed to get the cable back through the hole, when I got back to full draw the cable ripped most of the way though the thumbwheel, so it seems as though it is a little bit too short.

Since I didn't install it, I don't know how it was to start with, and I can't get hold of the guy who did the job.
But I'll assume that he left the cable as it was on the thumbwheel end then cut off any excess or moved it alone at the buss cable end of it.

I've been waiting for this bow for 8 months now, and as soon as it gets home, I con't shoot the damn thing.
How's that for frustrating?
If anyone can just confirm how the cable is attatched from the factory, I would appreciate it and can start shooting.

Thanks.

I would suggest going here: http://www.qadinc.com/UltraRest_Instructions.pdf

Just follow the instructions. There are a lot of detailed pictures that will give you a lot of help too. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I already did, but in the pictures you can't see how the timing cord mounts on the otherside of the wheel. I also tried to call them, but the young bloke I got on the phone wasn't of any help.

See how it enters the wheel on the side closest to the shooter? I need to know if, from the factory, the other end is simply melted into a blob to stop it from pulling through, or if it is clamped somewhere inside the thumbwheel.

·
Registered
921 Posts
is it installed with the football shaped clamp or did he serve it into the buss cable? A quick fix for it to stop pulling through the thumb wheel would be to take the end that is burned and make an over hand knot on the front side of the wheel. It will never pull though that way. but make sure you have enough slack for the knot if you dont it will pull on your cable and put you out of time.

another thought if you dont have any slack to knot or to move that rope for your rest take some loop material and knot one end run it through the rest and tie it to your cable just like a d-loop. lengthen and shorten the rope till you have the two timing marks inline take a sharpie and mark where it is on the cable remove the loop and serve 3'' over top that mark re-tie the loop and there ya go

·
Registered
32 Posts
The set screw on the shooter side of the thumbwheel is suppose hold the timing cord in place. The timing cord should have a little bit of a tail sticking through the front of the thumbwheel with the end melted. The melted glob is not intended to operate the rest it is there just to stop the timing cord from pulling through when you loosen the set screw.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok thanks, that seemed like the only possible logical answer, but I didn't want to go change anything on the bow after waiting so long for it to come.

The cable is served and possible glued into the cable, so there is no extra slack to play with, which is the other reason I was leery about changing anything on it.

I've set a big blob of super glue on the end of the cord, hopefully that will be enough to stop it from pulling through, also because if I burn it some more that would shorten it by a small amount.

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
There is a screw on the thumbwheel that tightens the cord. That is all that hold it- doesn't matter if there is a ball on the end or not.

My concern is that if you did not remove the screw and thumbwheel, and just fed the cord back through the thumbwheel, something is wrong.

You HAVE to remove the thumbwheel to feed the cord back through. On the axle of the rest, there is a larger hold on the to the left where the set screw goes, and a smaller hole to the right where the cord passes through. It's sometimes challenging to get the cord back through with the thumbwheel off. If you were able to just slide it through something is not ser up right.

try taking the screw all the way out and confirm which hole the cord is going through. If it's the right (the outside of the thumbwheel) you're ok. If it's the inside hole, it is set up wrong).

Also, from your comment, it sounds like there is a lot of tension on the rest at full draw.

You may need to get a longer cord and tie in. The rest needs to be set up to raise up to the full 90 degree upright position in the last 1/2" of draw with binary cams.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wasn't able to just slide the cord back through, I had to get a length of very fine strong cord. I used the core from some dyneema. That was tied to the end of the timing cord and used to thread through then pull the actual timing cord through.

I've just been shooting the bow, for the very first time and even though it's windy as
hell here it's shooting very very well.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
You need to get a brass nockset and clamp it on the end of your cord rather then just use the burnt end..if you catch the cord on some brush in the field your going to have the same problem... and throw the clamp on your buss cable away and split the cable and put the cord thru the buss cable and tie it in with serving or dental floss..

You MUST have the QAD timed right or its not going to work well..you want the rest to go all the way back just at the moment you reach full draw.. have some one help you do that..once you have that set then tie your cord into the buss cable..

I have used the QAD since they came out and have never had a problem with the one i bought years ago and still use.. the QAD is a great hunting rest if you get it set up right..JMO

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
As others have said, timing is key. If the rest comes to firing position prematurely, it will cause your cam timing to change....something you dont want. I set mine to come up at full draw and it works flawlessly, has never miss-fired and does not change my cam timing at all. Some will tell you to have it come up to fireing position the last 1/4-1/2 inch of draw....that may work also...i just dont like anything tugging on my cables. Ill post some pics for you.

The auto adjusting clamp may not be pretty, but it works perfectly to self adjust the timing if you follow the directions.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts