Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not asking if this is ethical or not or if you'd do it in the future, but have you or anyone you know throat-patched a deer? I wouldn't do it for love nor money, but I'm just curious about how it goes.

·
Banned
944 Posts
What does that mean? I dont understant the question. Clarify before others assume for you and the wheels come off another thread.

·
Registered
788 Posts
I'm guessing shooting a deer in the throat patch/neck shot?

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, like facing straight towards you, into the front of the neck...

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That term wasn't as common as I thought it was. Now I look like a moron. Haha.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
I never have with either, but if it was the only shot I had I would take it with a rifle but not a bow.

·
Back down to ground level
16,324 Posts
I don't think I hit the throat, but I have taken straight on shots into the lower neck that were heart shots. If the angle won't put the arrow into the vitals, then I won't take the shot. Keep it above the briscut bone. Close range.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I have with a gun before, drops them like a sack of potatoes but requires a follow up shot.

Stan Potts did it with a bow on a giant awhile back on tv, caught a lot of flak for it, but he found the buck.

·
Proverbs 21:19
9,615 Posts
I learned a lesson a long time ago, and that is, if you are lucky enough to knock one down like that with a bow you will need a follow up shot. I wouldn't do it again. You better off taking a high brisket than a throat patch shot.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts