Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my hunting properties has quick sand. What kind of pre cation do I need to take? Should I take a grapel and rope?

Thanks

Jay

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
1. Really? I've never heard of this. Pics!
2. Don't walk in the quicksand.
3. Carry your cell phone in a chest pocket rather than belt or cargo pocket.
4. Watch that Bear Gryll video on escaping quicksand.

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
Is it quick sand or under ground springs?The springs can be worse for you.Flag it with survey tape to be safe.

·
Registered
Mathews Chill X
5,714 Posts
Yeah I'm interested in seeing some pics! I've only heard about quick sand, but I've never seen it before. Be careful!

·
That's a bear track!
28,860 Posts
I think of it more as slow sand but the stuff is legit, just not how many people think of it. I got stuck in it once and it was on New Years Day during a thaw. I would have never gotten out had it not been for a couple of friends who were there hunting (wolf) with me.

Glacial silt...a wet, powdery sand that locks around your feet like concrete. The more you struggle the deeper you're drawn in. You don't have to sink out of sight like the movies depict, you only have to be held captive long enough to freeze to death or drown.

http://www.turnagaintimes.com/SR09/Mudflats.html

·
That's a bear track!
28,860 Posts
If not, learn how to call elephants. The proper wording is "Ungawa Simba, Ungawa."
I'm calling bs on this. It's been a while, like forever, since I had to speak elephant but I had kids and caught the Lion King a time or two.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I have found some here before (both spring and actual quick sand style). Spring style you have to think quick and try to grab anything you can to pull your self up, ours is over 40' deep (using a rod to feel for bottom) and never found the bottom. You will sink fast in these and the ground around them will most likely give way while you try to pull yourself out. The quick sand the best method if rope and boards are not available lay down and once your feet come free from the sand, roll while trying to reduce the preasure of hands or feet!

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
I fish a creek in western ny that has these blue silty areas that are scary as heck if you wander in to them. It's Elton creek, if you wade it downstream of the concrete plant be careful!

·
pro deer watcher
2,336 Posts
Avoid it. From duck hunting old old swamps and bowfishing them for a long long time avoid it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts