Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
8,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to get final details worked out for elk setup. I have been using duravanes with no problem. What do you guys use and think about each? I'll even listen on broadheads. I bought some Slick Tricks to try.

·
Registered
11,651 Posts
Fletch Bonnet by Rancho Safari

This is what the game sees from the same angle

i use bright florescent arrows my old eye can see plus tracers Fur Fletch so I can see the exact spot I shoot.

The game never sees my arrows in the Bow Quiver

Fletch Bonnet in place ready for the hunt

Tink

Attachments

·
Registered
710 Posts
Blazers

No doubt quick Spins work great but 55 cents a vane is wayyy too much especially when they group no better than Blazers. Shot both out to 80 yards and decided to keep the Blazers and put the extra 40 cents a pop in my pocket.

·
Registered
11,651 Posts
Yes some broadheads today cost well over $3.00 each!

You get what you pay for

I may get one shot a year at a trophy buck
The last place I will skimp is with my arrow.

Yes my vanes cost $1.65 per arrow

Last year I didn't see a buck I wanted to shoot.

sign me

Tightwad

·
Registered
11,651 Posts
Shot this guy at 10 yards witha 4" Quick Spin The QS strightned the arrow out pronto so it went in and out straight

He made Pope & Young too 18 + 10/16" Dried

Go for it

Tink

Attachments

·
Registered
11,072 Posts
Durocab . . . I shot the 2.25" quick spins all summer. They worked great for target but I couldn't get them to shoot with broadheads. I had a couple arrows refletched with Blazers. I found I didn't even have to move my sights. The Blazers matched the quick spins for POI out to 50 yards AND broadheads flew perfectly out to 50 yards. The bonus is the blazers are half the price of the quick spins.

·
Registered
786 Posts
My brother shoots quick spins and they are noisy. It is a world of difference when he shoots regular vanes versus quick spins. I not sure if anybody else has noticed this problem. He also shoots a BT Allegience with 80 lb limbs (man can he zing em) so I don't think the added noise will be a problem. Just figured I'd point it out.

·
Trophy Nanny Hunter
2,448 Posts
shooter444002 is selling Blazers in the classifieds for 20 cents apiece. I bought 60 of them from him. They got here in 3 days. You might want to drop him a note if you are looking for vanes.

I too had the same questions you did. I went with blazers because so many people recommended them and they are quite a bit cheaper.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Give me your address and I will send you blazers to try for free. I dont sell them, but they are awesome, light weight and steer an arrow like no other fletch I have tried.

·
Vendor
35,935 Posts
BLAZERS. These things are every bit as accurate as feathers, quickspins, etc... and then some. If the accuracy isn't enough to convince you, the durability should be. These things are indestructible. If you know anyone that shoots broadhead league, we shoot through deer and bear cardboard silhouttes. These things don't even wrinkle. The quickspins fly great as well, they just don't hold up to the abuse.

Also. I shot the mini blazers for 3D this year and they worked fantastic. Arrows bounce of them rather than ripping like the quickspins.

Sorry, not on a quickspin bash (I know they fly well and guys like them). But I have shot them both extensively and the blazers are better for;

1. As accurate as any fletching out there for broadheads.
2. More durable than any fletching out there for broadheads.
3. Reasonably priced. (Especially compared to QS).

Do up a couple arrows of both and test them. I have some extra blazers if you want to try a couple. My QS have been gone for some time, but I'm sure someone would be happy to send a few samples.

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Personally, I think they are somewhat of a gimmick. I have no doubt that they work, but are they really needed?

Think of it this way, if a bow is properly tuned, it will shoot an arrow with NO vanes or feathers to the same point of impact as a fletched shaft. How much steering to do you think you really might need - especially with a broadhead with such a great flight reputation as Slick Tricks? Sure, you need some steering for a fixed blade head, but a properly tuned bow is most important.

The thing I REALLY don't like about the quick spins is the loss of energy. It might not seem like much, but that little tab sticking out robs TONS of down range energy from the arrow, and energy is something we are trying to maximize with every setup.

While it doesn't seem like much - think of this. Have you ever watched Nascar? When those cars start spinning, what happens? They have little TINY flaps that pop up to slow the car down. Compared to the car, these flaps are VERY small, however, think of how much they must really slow the car down to be a mandatory safety precuation? Why would you want to put them on your arrows?

I think if you are that worried about it, use a conventional fletch with a hard helical. At least its still more aerodynamic than a tab sticking off a vane. Besides, those things are expensive!

Just my thoughts....

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
ive been shooting the quikspins since last November.........................................

ive also shot the blazers......................

both are nice products......................for hunting guess what will still be in my quiver this fall ??????

for fixed blade broadheads i love them. id go with the 2.25's for mechs............

just my 2 pennies.

camoham

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Blazers worked a little better for me over the 2.25" Quickspins.
Using them this year for elk, antelope and deer with Muzzy's

·
Registered
8,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wow guys, thanks for the info and the free offer samples as well but I wont get you guys to do that for me. I may just rig up a couple arrows with each and do some testing. Elk hunting once a year or once in every couple of years and I don't want to take any chances I feel like many of you that either will work but I must test them with the broadheads either way.

·
Registered
9,795 Posts
Camoham.... gotta say that the white on white on white is sweet looking.... VERY clean and elegant. Only problem, you'll be a fashion victim after labor day with the white. Everyone knows your arrows can't wear white after labor day!!! :mg: :wink:

-ZA206

camoham said:
ive been shooting the quikspins since last November.........................................

ive also shot the blazers......................

both are nice products......................for hunting guess what will still be in my quiver this fall ??????

for fixed blade broadheads i love them. id go with the 2.25's for mechs............

just my 2 pennies.

camoham

·
Registered
11,072 Posts
za206 said:
Camoham.... gotta say that the white on white on white is sweet looking.... VERY clean and elegant. Only problem, you'll be a fashion victim after labor day with the white. Everyone knows your arrows can't wear white after labor day!!! :mg: :wink:

-ZA206
Guess he'll just have to paint 'em red! :wink:

·
Registered
303 Posts
I would love to try the blazers as they sound like a super vane. But no one around here sells them so i guess I will shoot the AAE vanes i have been. I don't want to order a pack of them and find out I don't like them or they don't shoot good out of my setup. The AAE vanes have always done me well and just dont care to shoot QS vanes as they are not that durable plus they are expensive.

·
Registered
771 Posts
I just switched from 4" QS (3-fletch) to 2" Blazers (4-fletch) and couldn't be happier.....flight is basically the same but the Blazers are INFINITELY tougher.....Unless you cut one, the Blazers will look exactly like they did when you put them on......For that, they will be on my hunting arrows......

·
Registered
5,812 Posts
Bowhunter20- Did you think of why they are noisey??? Its because they spin so fast.

Through my bow they drop at 55 while my VaneTecs fly like darts to 100.

But they are heavy and since they spin soo fast they drop.

?????????????

UP TO YOU

1 - 20 of 36 Posts