Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am starting to look for a bow for this spring, more than likely it will be a 2012 or 13 model. Something I am taking into consideration is noise levels. I have used cat whiskers, golfballs, string leaches, string sleeves, and monkey tails, and they all work to some extent but I want to start off with something quiet to begin with. Who makes the quietest, who makes the loudest...All opinions are welcome.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I had a Hoyt that was super quiet. Vtec. But I never shot it well. My PSE stinger was really quiet, but it was slow at my draw lenght. My PSE Drive with just 1 string sleve is a bit louder then the hoyt, but faster. I am trying to get that one a little more quiet.

I did shoot a bear carnage not long ago, and that thing was whisper quiet, and a nice draw, and comfortable bow for the price. so all in all, The bear canarge or a hoyt Vtec where the quietest in my opinon. but the PSE shot the best for me.

·
Registered
7,265 Posts
The Bowtech Invasion (dropped from the line after the '12 model) is very quiet and a good shooter. Plenty fast too, if that's important to you.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
I think my EVO is the quietest bow Ive owned to date and Ive shot mathews, Hoyts, Elites. My DNA sp is also very quiet.

·
74,535 Posts
Always felt my Elite Z28 was quiet. Turkey, yotes and deer dont seem to hear it. All that matters to me.

My Elite not no speed bow, never had anything jump the string.
DB

Attachments

·
Anti Fanboy
42,727 Posts
Most of the newer bows will be pretty quiet IF it's tuned properly and you don't shoot a feather weight arrow.

BowTech Experience is pretty quiet rig.

A friend of mine has an EVO and I was shocked at how quiet that bow is.

·
Airborne Archery
9,089 Posts
I think my 2013 Elite Answer is quiet. The Experience is also a very quiet bow. Also, the Hoyt carbon bows.

·
Snowmobile Fanatic
4,623 Posts
I think Obsession makes some of the quietest bows out there.

·
Registered
622 Posts
My new to me new breed genetix is REALLY quiet. I had it in the shop the other to press it and a couple of guys shooting there said all they could hear was the arrow hitting the target-they walked over to see what it was.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Maitland Halo extreme is the best I've seen in this category's.... I actually hear the click of my release more than the bow.

Other than that, from my experience... the Bowtech guardian was almost silent if set up right.
I also had a Z28 that was rediculasly quiet...(I also had one that was kinda loud too)

·
Registered
273 Posts
The biggest reaction I have gotten, other then the new bow thing, from others when I shoot my Energy35 is how quiet it is. Behind the bow it's quiet too. It comes with a few string leaches installed from the factory and that is all it needs. I'd say it's the quietest compound I've shot and heard and is down near longbow quiet. Watched a bunch of bows being shot indoors recently at a shop and the only other bow I thought was noticeably quiet was Bears top of the line- Anarchy I think they said. Bear is a brand I've not watched or cared about but the reactions from those shooting it has me wanting to try one. It was fast too. Food for thought.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
Obsession bows followed closely by Bowtech Experience.

·
The Impartial Archer
18,789 Posts
The Bowtech Experiance would be one in the quiet catagory.
Not really........I sold mine because it wasn't as quiet as my Commander or Admiral. It's a good bow but it isn't a s quiet as you think. The problem with "quiet" is it's based perception and experience. So if you had a LOUD bow and then bought a bow that was more "quiet" you would think that's the best.......That's why I added to this comment.

This guy's Experience seems like a quiet bow for him........but for me it was louder.

I doubt many of us have shot them all and can truly say what the "quietest" bow is......but I can tell you I if I had a dime for every time someone told me "that's the quietest bow I have ever heard"........I could retire.

Granted I shoot heavy arrows and catwhiskers but still apples to apples the Commander is one of the quietest bows out there. It's old and they don't make it anymore so it's not really an option for you.

IMHO because the BIG for speed is on again a lot of the bows are getting more aggressive cams and in general they are not as quiet because of the shape. You end up with string "pop"......that was the issue I had with the Experience. The Solo cams and rounder wheels are quieter BUT don't create the speed people lust for these days........so really you will have to "turst" the folks here or just go shoot em"

They use to rate sound level on new bows with a BD meter.........maybe if you look HARD you can find that info on the bows that peak your interest.....that way you don't get an opinion......you get facts.

·
Registered
415 Posts
When I shoot a bow it's hard to judge how quiet it truly is, but I get more comments about how quiet my invasion is while at the range then any of my other bows.

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
The Obsession bows are the quietest bows i have ever heard shot even with Ibo weight arrows. I have never put a whole lot of emphasis on my bow being as quiet as i could make it. Just never had a problem with deer jumping the string.

My Sniper is crazy quiet. I made up some 650 grain arrows for a customers Lethal Force and Knightmare. He said the bow is now even more quiet that he thought possible. I guess so shooting something as heavy as a truck out of your bow.:teeth:

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
I had a Hoyt a Maxxis 35 that was the quietest bow I have ever owned. Only thing is I think 2011 was the last year they made them.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts