Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some suggestions to choose from. Color doesn't matter but they must be made from a quiet material.

I would be willing to put durability second over noise.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Kenetrek :darkbeer:

·
Sponge 4 bowhunting info
11,112 Posts
I'm looking too and ruled both of these out because they use Velcro which is ridiculously loud and if you need to peel off your boots for the final stalk you are screwed unless there's a waterfall nearby or a plane directly overhead. I'm still searching for a decent gaiter that's stretchy with a quiet zipper.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not real concerned about noise from taking them on or off just from rubbing against each other or brush. Keep the suggestions coming.

·
Registered
12,277 Posts
My Kenetreks are awesome, super quiet. Ya Bruce the velcro makes noise if you take them off so don't if you are in close. Peal them off sooner if you have to or stop and open up the bottoms so you can get to your laces when the time comes, there are ways around it.

·
Corripe Cervisiam
22,157 Posts
Why would the velcro deter anyone?

OP- the fleece gaiters will be the quietest and I have a pair of the Cabelas fleece I will sell you cheap. The problem with fleece is if you are in an area with burrs they pick up everything. I haven't seen the Kuiu but the Kennetreks have a sanded outer finish thats quieter than straight cordura

·
Registered
536 Posts
My kuiu gaiters are the most quiet gaiter I've ever owned.
They have held up on 2 moose hunts busting brush for weeks.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I dont even have the quiet ones and i have snuck into 30 yards on elk with them on. If i was doing it again i would get the quiet ones (not fleece) and i wouldnt let the velcro deter you. If it is wet enough or there is enough snow to warrant gators i dont think you will need to peal them off in a final approach. I have never had too.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Why would the velcro deter anyone?

OP- the fleece gaiters will be the quietest and I have a pair of the Cabelas fleece I will sell you cheap. The problem with fleece is if you are in an area with burrs they pick up everything. I haven't seen the Kuiu but the Kennetreks have a sanded outer finish thats quieter than straight cordura
I live and will use them in PA so fleece is a no go. Gonna be making a KUIU order this spring so as it stands now they are the winners.

Now to find a size for my wife.

·
THE ORIGINAL
9,186 Posts
This is correct...v

I dont even have the quiet ones and i have snuck into 30 yards on elk with them on. If i was doing it again i would get the quiet ones (not fleece) and i wouldnt let the velcro deter you. If it is wet enough or there is enough snow to warrant gators i dont think you will need to peal them off in a final approach. I have never had too.

·
Registered
13,127 Posts
I've had Kuiu and Kennetrek. For a tall one, I liked the Kuiu better. The Kennetrek could not adjust to be tight enough around my calf, so they kept falling down. The Kuiu had much better adjustability. Both are quiet. My favorite however, is the OR Wrapid Gaiter. They are much shorter, which are better for my short legs and needs to keep scree and water out of my boots.

If I wanted a full size gaiter, it would be Kuiu for sure.

·
Registered
6,554 Posts
Can I ask a dumb easterner question? What's the purpose of a gaitor?

·
Registered
460 Posts
When postholing in deep snow they will keep your pants from rising up and allowing moisture to get into your socks and subsequently your boots. In wet conditions they just protect the lower part of your leg to keep moisture from getting in at the pant and boot intersection. This becomes even more important when the vegetation is thicker on the ground.

·
Sponge 4 bowhunting info
11,112 Posts
The also keep your pants dry when walking thru wet brush, keep ticks and other critters from getting into the inside of your pants and keep your boots dry during creek crossings. I have some synthetic Optifade base layers I rarely use, think I'll sew some to the outside of my Sitka gaiters to quiet em down. When they rub together it is annoying as hell.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Can I ask a dumb easterner question? What's the purpose of a gaitor?
Snow during the PA rifle season for me. We do a lot of still hunting hunting in the mountains the second week. Just last week we got surprised with a storm. We just duck taped our pants to our boots but that's a pain.

I also hike in the winter.

Beleive it or not I see a lot of hikers with the short ones on in the summer. Not me for the record.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts