Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if there is such a thing? I'm not sure why manufactures have to use noisy synthetics but I'd love to have a puffy that is quiet and still lightweight.

·
Registered
274 Posts
That's why I asked. I have never had a water proof one that was quiet. For cold weather I prefer wool shirt and jackets. Sam's club had sherpa lined wool sweaters at the beginning of the month for $10, got me a charcoal and a dark grey.

The other question I thought of is what are you needing it for?

I do have a diving suit type jacket that is not as noisy as a nylon jacket. It is water proof, and as long as I don't rub it on anything it is quiet-ish, but I still here it. I have had frog togs, was told they were quiet, maybe to a deaf person, but to me they are very noisy.

So, how much noise are you wanting? Deer woods quiet? Sneaking in late quiet? Or just, save my sanity quiet?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Kelvin active jacket is probably even a touch quieter than the midi but also a little less insulation. Awesome jacket though.

·
Registered
11,953 Posts
Kuiu Kenai is whisper quiet, have used it since they came out with it 3 or 4 years ago. Have worn it as a outside layer multiple times, just have to be careful of not walking thru stuff.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
I don't think there is such as thing as a quiet puffy. Some are quieter than others, but none are what I call fleece quiet. I returned my Kenai, as it was just too loud for me, I would have never used it in the field.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I don't think there is such as thing as a quiet puffy. Some are quieter than others, but none are what I call fleece quiet. I returned my Kenai, as it was just too loud for me, I would have never used it in the field.
See, that is why I buy local, I buy this things at the start of the business weekday only so it is slow and quiet in the store. If I am hear it then I know 4 legged critters can.

It is also why I stay with so many natural fibers. I don't mind that they snag, I can easily pull them. Where I roam I end up in lots of snags, so it slows me down and raises the potential for noise.

Other than that color and odor are very important to me. So, back to OP, what are you needing it for?

·
Registered
19,283 Posts
Use a Cabela's down jacket Guide Series that probably 10 years old & wear a Winona Camo sweater over it & it is whisper quiet & very warm.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
See, that is why I buy local, I buy this things at the start of the business weekday only so it is slow and quiet in the store. If I am hear it then I know 4 legged critters can.

It is also why I stay with so many natural fibers. I don't mind that they snag, I can easily pull them. Where I roam I end up in lots of snags, so it slows me down and raises the potential for noise.

Other than that color and odor are very important to me. So, back to OP, what are you needing it for?

It's hard to beat a puffy for warmth without the weight. I need something packable and light for backpack hunting but still whitetail quiet. I currently have an Uncompahgre puffy from FL but it is way too noisy.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I would also like to have something a little warmer than the Uncompahgre. I looked at the Kuiu Super down. I think it would be warm enough but still loud.

·
Registered
11,953 Posts
I shot a bear with my bow wearing only my Kenai, had 5 inside of 20 yards and they never knew I was there. I wear it for whitetails also as a stand alone, never been a issue, it is plenty quiet.

·
Registered
11,953 Posts
I would also like to have something a little warmer than the Uncompahgre. I looked at the Kuiu Super down. I think it would be warm enough but still loud.
Yes, it is loud, the kenai uses a different exterior face fabric, it feels almost like a cotton on the exterior, it's not though.

·
Corripe Cervisiam
22,341 Posts
The Kuiu Kenai is dead silent. Its what I would call a light jacket though....not super warm.

Kuiu's other puffy's are louder as they are the traditional nylon shell outer.

·
Vendor
10,797 Posts
Sitka made a puffy but looks like it was discontinued. Very light and warm. Not noisy at all.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Celsius midi or Celsius Jacket/ shacket

1 - 19 of 19 Posts