Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m looking for opinions on some of the quietest rests on the market. What would be the best choice overall? I know there will be many opinions on this, I’m just looking for unbiased opinions based on first hand experiences.

·
Registered
Reign 6, Reckoning 35, Hamskea, HHA, MBG, Tight Spot, Illumapin, Shrewd, Stan, Carter
1,119 Posts
Whisper, I mean, Whisker Buscuit comes to mind. Never shot one but have seen them in action. Why's a quiet rest important to you? When you mean quiet you mean the action of is rising and falling? Most drop away rests today are really quiet, imo. A little felt on the launcher and the arrow should silently come to full draw along with a proven rest. Hamskea and QAD come to mind.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Any rest is going to be quieter than your bow firing.... If you are worried about the draw, moleskin on most rests will do the trick. Obviously won't work on a bisquit type, but has worked for years on my QAD...

·
Registered
11,869 Posts
One that has no moving parts so it's a Whisker Biscuit. I have used HHA, QAD and vaportrail and never thought any of them as loud

·
Registered
8,059 Posts
Whisper, I mean, Whisker Buscuit comes to mind. Never shot one but have seen them in action. Why's a quiet rest important to you? When you mean quiet you mean the action of is rising and falling? Most drop away rests today are really quiet, imo. A little felt on the launcher and the arrow should silently come to full draw along with a proven rest. Hamskea and QAD come to mind.
I have a biscuit on my daily shooter / backup bow, and I can assure it is NOT a quiet rest. That said, people are very successful at hunting with them, so I’m not sure how big of a deal this really is, but I’m also not willing to test that theory.

Semper Fi,
Mike

·
Registered
Reign 6, Reckoning 35, Hamskea, HHA, MBG, Tight Spot, Illumapin, Shrewd, Stan, Carter
1,119 Posts
I have a biscuit on my daily shooter / backup bow, and I can assure it is NOT a quiet rest. That said, people are very successful at hunting with them, so I’m not sure how big of a deal this really is, but I’m also not willing to test that theory.

Semper Fi,
Mike
Quiet on the draw or release....or both? Maybe after your tags are filled put your backup bow thru some real woods tests? I've had guys over who shoot them and I guess I really didn't notice how noisy they really were.

·
Registered
8,059 Posts
Quiet on the draw or release....or both? Maybe after your tags are filled put your backup bow thru some real woods tests? I've had guys over who shoot them and I guess I really didn't notice how noisy they really were.
On the draw I can hear the arrow “scraping” across the fibers. Never really tried to listen to it during the shot- likely couldn’t distinguish it from other noise anyway. The rest is new- maybe it wears in over time. I probably have 1-200 shots on it. But I hunt in a DMAP program, and deer season goes until the end of March, with unlimited antlerless deer tags. But maybe I will try it out once the freezer is maxed and I’m working on “donate deer”.

Semper Fi,
Mike

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I’m just looking for a quiet setup. Yes, I mean the noise when the rest drops. I have an XV rest now which seems quiet, but have zero experience with anything else besides a whisker biscuit. The QAD has caught my eye but the maker of XV which is Schaffer has steered me away due to being noisy. Seems like there would be zero clearance issues with the QAD as well. I have to use low profile vanes or they will hit arms. I’ve used blazers with this rest and-one of the arms broke. This is why I’m in search of unbiased more experienced bow hunters. I’m relatively new to the game, but absolutely is my passion now.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I’m just looking for a quiet setup. Yes, I mean the noise when the rest drops. I have an XV rest now which seems quiet, but have zero experience with anything else besides a whisker biscuit. The QAD has caught my eye but the maker of XV which is Schaffer has steered me away due to being noisy. Seems like there would be zero clearance issues with the QAD as well. I have to use low profile vanes or they will hit arms. I’ve used blazers with this rest and-one of the arms broke. This is why I’m in search of unbiased more experienced bow hunters. I’m relatively new to the game, but absolutely is my passion now.
I don't shoot a QAD but there are many that do and LOVE that rest. I'm sure all/most of them are shooting a standard hunting vane with plenty of clearance.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Any rest is going to be quieter than your bow firing.... If you are worried about the draw, moleskin on most rests will do the trick. Obviously won't work on a bisquit type, but has worked for years on my QAD...
exactly what i was thinking, bow is louder than the rest, release, etc.

·
Registered
11,762 Posts
I prefer QADs but I think PAKraig is correct that the TT Smackdown Pro is very quiet, more quiet than a QAD.

·
Registered
Hoyt Ventum 33 in wilderness, Easton axis 300, Carter releases, Hamskea, Firstlite, Spot Hogg
412 Posts
I’m a Hamskea guy myself and have had great luck with it. I will parrot what the other guys have said though and say that the noise of a rest it absolutely inconsequential to the shot on an animal. Your arrow flying through the air is way louder then your rest or even your bow to a deer. I’d pick out which mechanism you like “limb driven, cable driven, or static” then find a brand and price range your comfortable in.

·
Back Yard Champion
35,321 Posts
Another subject to not worry about........Worked for a archery shop and I got to try several brands and makes of arrow rests and never heard a loud one..........

Drop rests, if the launcher is smacking the shelf the rest isn't set up correctly............

Reactions: Strika
1 - 20 of 59 Posts