Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a Mongoose release and the thing is noisy.
When I draw,I can hear the velcro.For those of you familiar with this release,you know there is a ton of velcro on it.
Is there any way to quiet it down?

·
Registered
15,176 Posts
When you put it on, rub the strap pretty hard. Try to wiggle the two pieces slightly to get the Velcro to grab together. It may just be worn out and you need a new strap!

·
Registered
852 Posts
Noise is one of the reasons why I don't use velcro attatched wrist straps - the others are : I don't really trust them all that much(although I realize that's mostly unfounded - they're actually pretty strong), and MOST importantly: it's difficult to get them adjusted to exactly the same spot every time - just a tiny variance can make a difference in your anchor point... I use buckle type straps only, and shun ANYTHING that's velcro enclosed for hunting - that stuff is NOISEY, no matter how slowly you peel it apart... I think that as it wears in, your strap should quit making noise "on the draw", but a MUCH better solution would be to put a buckle strap on your release, instead... You should be able to get one for around $13 to $15 - I'd HIGHLY recommend it...

- georgestrings

BTW - Your Mongoose release is a very good choice - I used one for years, and it was 100% trouble free - my girlfriend is still using it, and it's STILL smooth as silk, and solid as a rock.. I prefer the Little Goose, because the smaller diameter head is more comfortable for my anchor point, but either is a fine release...

·
Fat Jesus
29,130 Posts
Buckle up

Yeah I'd would back what georgestrings said up totally....Just pick up a buckle strap from SCOTT for your Goose....I've used one for years & I love it.....

·
Bonehunter
8,861 Posts
I agree with the buckle option.I switched and am much happier now. Easy to adjust with or with out a huntin glove.

Once the velcro wears in it tends to be quieter. Also,the tighter the better

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The thing is,I've never had another release that was this loud.
They really pack the velcro on the 'goose.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Jo,
When I got serious about bow hunting my choice for a release was a Scott Mongoose. The day it arrived in the mail, I put it on and the FIRST thing that came to mind was "this thing is so loud, I will get busted for absolute sure with it"........not true. Put the thing on and shoot with it and believe it or not, it will quiet down on its own. You will get the thing broke in, in a short periond of time. Try getting it a LITTLE damp too and the stiffness will go away. I wouldn't trade mine for all the tea in China,,,Well ???

·
Registered
358 Posts
Scott Mongoose

I love it, and am very pleased with it. I think it is loud, but I guess anything that close to your ear would seem loud. I like 30 pt buck thought the same thing, that I'd get busted forsure. Sep. 18th was the last day of first season here. I was sitting in a clump of tress with 1 shooting lane and the buck I was hunting finally came out of the trees only 15 yards away! Sweet! I thought. He started grazing and moving towards my lane. I got him now, I thought to myself. I started to draw when he couldn't see and the velcro started doing it's crackling sound.....damn, damn, damn, I'm going to get busted forsure! It didn't even phase him!
What did though, was an elk hunter walking over the ridge doing the worst bugle I have ever heard in my life! Needles to say the buck bolted. I sure hope he lives to second season! I'm not concerned about the velcro anymore, but I will get a buckle now that I know you can (Thanks, whoever posted that) just because for the reason somone else mentioned, it's kinda difficult to keep it consistant.

·
Registered
34,167 Posts
The best way to quiet velcro on your release. Is to buy one with a buckle. The buckle will allow you to have the release on the same everytime. Plus it doesn't make that sound.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts