Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I've always been a lover of archery and I'm trying to get into target archery. I've been reading this forum so much my eyes are falling out, but I'm still uncertain of which bow would best.

The two I'm interested in (though not cemented to) are the Quinn Comet XL (or Comet XL3D or Comet Classic) or the Samick Agulla with their Universal Limbs. From what I've read and understood so far is the Quinns are excellent for the price however aren't IFL compatible. That being said, I'm curious if having an IFL compatible bow should be a higher priority to having a higher quality bow? If I had to choose right now on the spot I would pick the Quinn, but would that be the wrong decision?...I think this is my only drawback.

My background:
I used to own a cheap youth bow about a decade ago, so if that counts as experience then I have a very tiny bit. I'm 26 yrs old now, 6 feet tall and my current draw length is 29". I tried a 50# and a 45# hunting recurve at Bass Pro just to feel the pull weight, but I know I'd want to get a lesser weight to do target shooting. Possibly looking at a 68" or 66" bow, recommendations are welcome.

Thanks a bunch for any info at all!

·
Registered
20,334 Posts
B_O --

Sounds like you already have a pretty good handle on it. The Quinns I've shot were/are excellent bows and should serve you pretty well, but without the ILF limb coupling, you'll be married to Quinn for new limbs and you WILL be getting new limbs sooner or later. That really cuts down your options. If you're serious about this type of shooting, go with the best ILF riser you can afford (don't forget the used market/classifieds - as in don't break the bank- yet) and an inexpensive light pair of limbs. Remember is the weight AT YOUR DRAW LENGTH that matters, not what the limbs are marked.

Just a guess, but odds are you draw length will increase as you get (back) into it, so go at least 68" and 70" might not be a bad idea either.

Viper1 out.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Bender Offender, Where are you located? Someone on here may be close to you, and may be able to offer some face to face help.

Listen to the Viper, he knows of what he speaks. I second the ILF limb bow. I started with a PSE Optima. Not a bad bow, but I had no market for used limbs when I wanted to change. I'm not familiar with the Quinn bow, so can't comment on it. The Samick is a good riser, and can get you pretty far in competition. It has all of the ATA mounting holes for sights, stabs, etc., so buy higher quality on the accessories end, and move them over to another riser if/when you buy one.

Start out LOW in poundage. As Viper says, your draw length will most likely grow. As a rule of thumb, add 2# of draw weight to each 1 inch of draw length over 28". Look for some limbs in the 24# @ 28" weight range. That will give you about 26# at 29" draw, or 28# at 30" draw. You should look for a 25" riser, and get long limbs (70# bow), based on your draw length.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts