Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a Gamemaster and I am wondering the best way to quiet it.
Where is the best place to put limbsavers on the limbs? (pics would be nice) I seen a pic of a guy who had thunderblox on the limbs all the way up at the llimb pocket, does this work well? Also does anyone have an STS on their recurve? How well does that work for ya? Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. THanks

·
Registered
492 Posts
Heres what you do........

Place limb savers 4" from riser fadeouts, and place string silencers {cat whiskers} about 14" from limb tips. Brace the bow at 8.5", and she will be quiet. I have killed deer out to 25 yards with Game masters, and they are plenty "hunting" quiet.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Supershot said:
When you say fade outs where exactly do you mean? Thanks
Where the riser ends, and the limb begins.

·
Registered
20,775 Posts
supershot -

I probably wouldn't bother with limb savers, or only use them as a last resort.

Figure out if your getting string noise or limb noise. Some limb couplings on the GMs aren't perfect fits. A thin layer of cork or rubber between the limbs and the riser might help. Next use the right string! The one that came with the bow probably isn't. Play with the brace height, up and down, yes - sometimes a lower bh quiets a bow, especially Hoyts. Make sure you have the right arrows, spine and weight wise and the BOW is tuned to the arrows. Lastly concider light string silencers. If all else fails then use the limb savers. But I tend not to like extra weight anywhere on the limbs - and I've never had to resort to using them.

Viper1 out.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Super, trust me.......I have owned 5 Gamemasters. Limb savers DO work, and provide a noticable difference. Also do NOT put any material between the limb and riser. The factory fits are just fine,and it is not needed, and if anything does happen to the limbs, Hoyt could refuse to honoe your warranty.

·
Registered
350 Posts
gamemaster

Supershot - Where is the noise coming from? I shoot a Gamemaster and the only problem I had was with the quiver. I got a Quikee Three and that did the trick. Bow is as quiet as you can make it. Make sure your limbs are cranked down tight.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
In most cases you have to get rid of the string slap noise which travels down into the riser. Can't think of a better way to deaden string slap noise than a Mountain Muffler string. Viper has good recommendations about using a sound-deadening material on the limb beds, different string material and probably less strands (like 12-14), and brace height adjustments. I found that the Gamemaster is like most metal-risered recurves... level of noise is more than wooden bows and you have to give them more attention. Of course if you're shooting 9-12 gr/lb.... no problem, should be quiet enough. It's the 6-9 gr/lb range that needs more attention.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think it is mostly coming from the string. And maybe the string hitting the limbs.

·
Registered
20,775 Posts
SS -

As we discussed in the PM post your full specs and that might point us to the culprit.

Viper1 out.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Just guessing from a distance, but string slap is often a result of low brace height.

A theory of string silencer placement is to place them at the 1/4 and 1/3 positions on the string. You can calculate this by measuring the distance between where the string touches the limbs when at brace and dividing by 4 and again by 3. These are the mostly likely locations of the highest string harmonics and dampening them will be the most effective. I have found that generally some fine tuning is in order but it's a good start. I start with silencers at the 1/4 position, the easiest to live with, and add the 1/3 position if I'm not happy with the results.

Lastly, my GameMater quieted down a lot after about a month of shooting it. Maybe I just lost some hearing over that period of time or maybe the limbs seated themselves.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
THe specs of the bow.

54#
Brace height is about 7 3/4

What else you need to know?

I am pretty new to recurves and trying to figure all these things out, quite a bit different from my compounds:mg:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts