Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first time at this thread. So far I very impressed with the post on this forum. My question to all of you is, for those who use a quiver do you prefer a detachable or a 2-piece?

Thanks and look forward to being an active participant to your forum.

·
archery nut
6,120 Posts
i prefer to use a quick detach quiver, when i shoot 3D, target, in the yard, etc i don't use a quiver (i don't like the "bulkiness" and balance) so when i hunt i just take it off once i get to my stand and hang it in the tree

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I prefer a kwikee quiver, because I can take it off and screw it to the tree once in the stand. I don't have to contend with the arrows in my lap and my bow is quieter without it.

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Of the two choices offered, I perfer the detachable. I rarely use one though since I spot & stalk I generally use a hip quiver.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I use a two piece holds 10 even then thats not enough I work on ten arrows a day for a two to three day hunt and I still run out when you hunt in swamps you even loose a pass throughs in the mud

·
Registered
11,651 Posts
SOLID 2 piece Quivere Reign Supreme

I have doen soem bowhunting over that last 50+ years fixed bow quivers are the way to go

The biggest joke is the Chuck adams type of hip quivers you waves like a peacock in fulltrut if you are stalking the arrow attrat attention

Next arrows will fall out of hip quivers

then it slower than a bow quiver and a lot more movement

Randy Ulmer did a Test on Shooting with a full 8 arrow bow quiver and empty 8 arrow bowquiver

at 40 yards there was a 1/4" difference in impact point

Chuck Adams said that bow quivers "RUIN"bow tune

Gee Randy Ulmer doesnt seeem to have any tuning problems
shootign a 8 arrwo bowquiver:D

WHY 8 arrow quivers?

Well ethics for one thing

if you carry a Cheapee Quiver of plastic that holds 3 arrows what do you do if you wound a critter and have to track him down?

A leg shotdeer will walk abou t a 100 yards out of range all day

if you have 7 back up arrow you cna cleanly kill and recover a wounded critter

Also if you every go otu West you will be making alotyof trips to the truck for more arrows

I know several g uys Dick Combs for onehat have killed deer with the 8th shot they took at the deer.

Guys who take boq quivers off play hell gettign a afst secodn shot froma tree stanbd

I used to be able to shooit 8 arrows from 8 arrow bowquiver in about 20 seconds

Fred Bear invented the bowquiver 90% of sucessful bowhunters use them

I was a professional deer guides in USA & Mexico etc

I hav seen guys taking quivers on and off and have dropped quivers from treestands andmake noise with them and over all if you are a serious deer hunter the fixed large arrow bowquiver is the only way to go

I am using the Alpine SoftLock now it holds

Hoyt makes a 9 arrow quiver

Those boys out in Utah know a lot about hunting

The 5 Arrow web quiver made by Mathews sucks

I have oneon my MQ 32

My opinions based on 54 years of bowhunting experience

My opinion no flames just my opinion girls

TINK

:D

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
I agree bow quivers do not affect tune to any great degree. Especially if the bow is tuned with the quiver in place.

As to the hip quiver, I have used one many times, I've never had an arrow fall from one, and I assure you that I look nothing like a peacock, more of a bear or water buffalo. As to Chuck Adams wearing one, I seem to remember Fred Bear wearing one in the 50's. There were no bow quivers when I started shooting that I can remember anyway.

I think the proper quiver is the one you are most comfortable with and that fits the circumstances of the moment.

To say that any quiver system is wrong is a matter of opinion and everyone is certainly entitled to their own.

Oh, I've never had to shoot at any animal 8 times with any weapon. If I can't shoot with a 99.99% chance of killing the animal with that one shot, I simply don't shoot.
I have wounded game before, I think we all have and had to track it and shoot again, but still never 8 times.

I've had guides make fun of me for not taking a shot, but to take a shot with a high margin of missing is stupid and wasteful.

I may not shoot as often as some but I hit my target many more times than not.

·
Registered
11,651 Posts
Fred Bear Never used a Hip Quiver

Fred & I were close ..... he was a guest at my home in McLean VA twice and I spent Christmas Eve at his home in Grayling Mich Dec 24 1964 Fred Never used a Hip Quiver for bowhunting,Sorry Sir. he Thought the King Hip Quiver was a joke

Fred invented the bow quiver had patenteds on it and used it all the time everey photo of Fred and Game shows the famous Fred Bear Bow Quiver in some style.

Game sees movement and you hip quiver " a la Adams" makes for maximum amount of movement when you move

I guide and when I see a hunter wilth a foolish piece of gear that will hurt his chances I say something

When he messes up the poor flipping Guide gets blamed

Texas teas is a free country So you keep doing what makes you happy

Wanna have a race as to can shoot t 8 shots off fastest

My Bowquiver vs your Adams hip quiver?
Winner buys a round at the bar?
Robert Houge is the Judge OK?

Hmmmmm????

My opinion my two cents.........

Good Huntign TINK

PS I am from San Antonio hope to return to Texas to retire

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
I like light-weight, 2-piece quivers because they are simple, quiet, and always there when you need them. I tune and practice with my quiver on the bow; I use a 4-arrow quiver, and I always practice and tune with 3 arrows in it -- just like it will be during that all important first shot. I have tried emptying it a couple times and it made no differnece, within my shooting ability (which ain't bad, but not quite up to par with Randy Ulmer!)

(BTW the quiver comes off for 3D season and goes back on before hunting season, and it does make a small difference in tune -- so small that I could put it on and shoot without retuning and it would hardly make a difference.)

IMHO four arrows is more than enough. I've never needed to use more than one. The one time I did make a bad hit and lost the deer I never got within sight of it after the first shot anyway.

I have tried a couple hip quivers briefly -- it didn't take long to realize that I didn't like them; they were always getting in the way and/or noisy and/or inconvenient to get the arrows out of, and another thing to deal with in the tree.

·
Registered
11,651 Posts
BERT You are right

I used to shoot State tournements with my recurve and bow quivers in palce so when I hunted in fall everything was the exact same

Hip quivers are a royal pain in the arse as you found out

Most of the guyds you see with them are FNG's anyway

One arrow is enugh you seldom get 2 shots in archeyr but it does happen

But the extra arrows are like a parachute

I like to carrya judo point and I like to take a practice shot just as I get down from the tree

Tink

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
To each their own, I ain't been a FNG at shooting a bow since 1957, and rarely hunt in the tops of trees, not many in South and West Texas. I do occasionally use a bow quiver, when I find it to be the best choice.
But crawling on my knees and stalking with a short bow I find them to get in my way.
Hell, I even own a backpack quiver, and use it occasionally.

Like I said there ain't one right way, it's whatever floats your boat....

By the way I was born in S. San Antonio...

There was a time when I would have accepted your challenge as to who could get off 8 aimed arrows the fastest. Back then I was a kid and shot a long bow holding my extra arrows in my bow hand. Thought I wanted to be like my ancestors. Never have got to shoot a running buffalo from horseback.

Now I practice to make the second shot un-needed.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Quiver user!!Do you prefer a detach or a two piece

I prefer a 2 piece myself,due to the fact that i have my arrows right there where i need them!I tune and practice w/them empty and 3 in the quiver as if i am taking a shot on game.they don't affect my tune or accuracy.I also use 4 arrow quivers except on my mathews which is a 5 arrow.archer 65

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
To two piece, or not two piece...

Two piece solid mount for me. Detachables are nice for in the bowcase, but I hunt with the quiver on, and have not found one that is quiet enough.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
2 Piece, less for the wind to get ahold of;)

·
Registered
11,651 Posts
Cut the noise witha solid mount

Dear right

Once it on the its solid Alpine makes a nifty one with lots of rubber to suck up the sound

In Africa Took this dude from NY or Jersey out and he brought along a hip quiver
Offered him a Cat quiver; he said no

We drive about 35 miles to a water hole that ahs been unhunted in recent history
W we had one day to hunt it before a huge game capture unit came in and took allthe animals away.

we bailed out of my Suburban at 6 AM and guess what ?

Jersey Bob left his hip quiver in camp we hadd to go back

We arrived back about 1 PM as it was all dirt back roads.

He lost a 12 day of prime bowhunting.
No one witha bow quiver has ever left arrows in camp.

:mad:

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
You're right... I'm wrong... Ok!!!

One hip quiver, and one backpack quiver and one quick detach quiver for sale or trade for whatever 27 arrow 2 peice bow quiver Africanbowhunter wants me to use...

Damn do I have to give back all of the animals I've killed because I used the wrong quiver for nearly fifty years?

Or is it that Chuck Adams uses one so that makes it wrong... I was using one before he was out of high School, so I didn't get the idea from him.... Is that better.... Actually I hadn't even heard of him till my daughter gave me his book for fathers day this year.
I don't read very many hunting rags cause most of them are full of bull, notice I said most, sometimes there are good articles.

·
Registered
11,651 Posts
CAT Quivers are great

We were commentignon quivers

The Cat Quiver is an excellent back quiver far far superior to the flagging braggign hipo quiver.

They make Several

Also bear used to make the Nimrod then the St Charles
quiver all th ree hung down the back to permit
STAkING AND SNEAKING ect with out flaggingndf braging your position to the game

Quivers are hust somethignto heol the arrows away til you need one.

Jerry Simmond mkaes a cenetr dxownthe back back quiver that looks good but I never have used it

but itssilent and allows you to slip an arrow into your hand,

I just bought a Sagattarius 8 arrow quiver off the ebay gizmo and I will hunt withj it this fall and be able to carry a judo or two

Now I havea drop away rest I can shoot Flu Flus ocne aga in TINK

1 - 20 of 40 Posts