Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
8,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have issues with Rage out of high speed bows?

·
Registered
6,288 Posts
I killed 2 deer this past year with Rage Xtreme's, one with my MR5 and one with my MR6. Did great.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I've had 3 heads (3blade) last two years and killed 4 deer so far. All three have been used and couldn't tell you which one has been used more than once. None of the blades are bad and foresee many more deer to be killed with them. Shoot a vulcan around 290.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I don't trust them and the blades are weak.
I have seen plenty of antelope, mule deer, and elk shot with rage 2 and 3 blade broadheads. Never heard of any issues yet. That is what most guys around my area use.

·
Registered
14,574 Posts
No problems here. I wouldn't shoot them out of a slow bow for penetration issues but out of a fast bow I've had had 6 passthroughs on the only 6 deer I've shot with them.

·
Registered
73 Posts
They should work just fine. I've used the 2 blade chisel tips. I'm shooting the Swhacker 100 gr. 1.75" blade now. My friend killed some with the same ones out of his cross bow...its 350 cps.

·
Registered
5,921 Posts
I don't trust them and the blades are weak.
thats funny you say that, i've shot them since 2007, first the 2 blade 2" cuts, then last year the extreme 2.3" cut and I've never broken a blade and I've shot a lot of deer with them, 38 deer

·
Registered
5,921 Posts
No problems here. I wouldn't shoot them out of a slow bow for penetration issues but out of a fast bow I've had had 6 passthroughs on the only 6 deer I've shot with them.
also haven't had a problem/issue with this shooting a 2004 Mathews Outback, 27" draw @ 70lbs shooting a 373 grain arrow @ 255fps.

I get two holes on 99% of the deer I"ve shot with them, the 2 deer I haven't were both spine shot

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
No problem with rage broadheads here. Bent a few blades on them before but if you hit something hard enough to bend the blades, it's going to do some damage to any broadhead blades be it bent, broke, chipped, ect.... Rage broadheads are nasty, I have been shooting them since they first came out and don't plan on switching.

Also, to answer your question, I am shooting 300 fps with them currently and have no issues at all.

·
Team Overkill
6,628 Posts
No problem here at all. However,I would suggest the speed serves a purpose in shooting a heavier arrow, which is what I believe best suits them, in order to maintain flat trajectory and high k.e./momentum. Speed in and of itself serves a good purpose in trajectory but not in assisting with the penetration of larger diameter heads. In reality, velocity also means resistance. The faster that projectile hits, much like throwing a ball at a wall it will bounce further away the harder you throw, the further it will resist. With a large diameter head, being a mechanical requiring extra energy for deployment and being rear deploy, which requires more than most to push a fully deployed 2" head in and out, I would suggest making the most out of speed by shooting heavy arrows fast instead of light arrows really fast. Then the Rage will really illustrate its potential.

·
Registered
237 Posts
no problem here.. shot all of these animals w Rage broadheads (including 2 blade, turkey head, chisel tip, crossbow head, and extreme) and no issue so far. but to each his own

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
I've shot them out of three different bow with different speeds. Only problem I've had was huge holes and short tracking jobs

·
Team Overkill
6,628 Posts
I've shot them out of three different bow with different speeds. Only problem I've had was huge holes and short tracking jobs
Kind of like this one

·
Team Overkill
6,628 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Been shooting them for years (since they came out) and love them. I am shooting somewhere in the 320fps range, never had any problems there. Puts them down fast and makes for an easy track job. Cant wait to try the hypodermic!

·
Registered
11,666 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
The titaniums shoot perfect out to 25 yds. Then the problems start 3'' low at 30 yds. and 6-7'' groups at 40 yds. I also shoot 100 gr. steelheads and the Ulmer Edge, they are spot on with field pts. out to 50 yds. I like what a rage does to a deer but will only shoot them when Im in a close shot spot.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts