Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a new pack of 2-blade rage and noticed how dull the tips and blades are!!! they are horrible.has anyone else noticed this??

·
Just beat Terry Club
9,334 Posts
I just got a new pack of 2-blade rage and noticed how dull the tips and blades are!!! they are horrible.has anyone else noticed this??
Have noticed they were no where near as sharp and the Slick Tricks I had.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
they are as blunt as can be!! I called the company and told them.when you pay $40 for 3 heads you expect some sharpness there!!

·
Just beat Terry Club
9,334 Posts

·
Registered
5,899 Posts
I have to agree, I do a little test with my broadheads. I wear rubber gloves and spread my fingers so that the spaces between my fingers fan like webbing. If I can run a broadhead over the surface and it not cut the glove, it's not sharp enough for me. My montecs will split it open (after some sharpening of course, slick tricks and muzzys also will cut it) but my rage won't cut a hole unless I nearly push the tip through the other side. I'm concerned about this personally as I've never used rage to harvest a deer to date.

·
Registered
935 Posts
I was a littlel worried about that also but I took a deer with them last night and it left a heck of a wound so I am going to leave them alone.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Okay guys, I've put a little thought into the dullness on the tips of these. My conclusion is this.....

When you cut yourself the two sides of the cut don't stay where they are, they spread and increase the size of the opening. If they tip were razor sharp, it would have the potential to allow the intial cut to open up the flesh too much and weaken the resistance needed to properly open the blades to a deployed position as they are entering the animal. With weaker flesh on either side of the entrance wound not allowing the blades to fully open, the broadhead would be no more functional or offer any bigger entance wound than a "front deploying" mechanical.

Or.....

Maybe I'm overthinking it and it could just be sloppy engineering.

·
Registered
9,265 Posts
They aren't as sharp as most other broadheads, but they are sharp enough to get the job done.

:izza:

·
Registered
769 Posts
My Take on Rage

I used Rage last season with great success...1 buck and 4 does. Great blood trails and all recoveries within 100 yards of POI. All shots were less than 30 yards; found there mark, and I was shooting a 70lb X-force with 27" draw.

IMO the problem with Rages comes with lower poundage bows/lighter arrows (less KE) and shots that are off the mark. Yes, we all strive for a perfect hit, but let's face it bad shots happen from time to time with all the variables that come into play in a hunting situation. A hit too far foward will likely get poor penetration in the shoulder with a Rage, while a fixed blade at sufficient KE will likely blow through it. For this reason, along with price and durability, I will not be using them this season.

$40 for 3 with practice head is darn steep especially when the cutting tip and blades are not razor sharp out of the package. Also, forget replacement blades, the head is done after one shot! I could maybe live with that, but not when you factor in the other deficiencies. Now it could be a great broadhead if it came out of the package with a...robust head, better/durable cutting tip, sharper blades, and better blade locking system to keep them from opening in the quiver or in flight. Hopefully, the quality will catch up to the price next year. Until then, it is back to fixed blades for me.

I'm not bashing, just callin it like I see it.

·
Banned
18,640 Posts
My Steelhead XL's and Slick Trick's are way sharper(Stronger also)....plus they dont pop open in flight.......:darkbeer:

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am going to look at some different heads!! maybe go fixed with like the Slick Tricks or Magnus Stingers.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
i have been using them for the past three years and i love them. they arent the sharpest ones out there put the do the job. i have taken four bucks and five does with them and all of them have gone less then 40 yards and one was dead in its tracksand i shot a yote last year with them and it only went 12 feet from were i shot him. i have taken them after i have shot them and sharpend them with a good stone. you can make them really sharp if you know what your are doing with a stone

·
Registered
328 Posts
Rage

IowaSwitchback
"Will just send them Rage my way I'll put them to good uses... "

I AGREE SHOT ME A PM WILL SEND MY ADDRESS AND MAIL THEM 3 OR 2 BLADES IM NOT GREADY EVEN PRACTICE TIPS. DULL BLADES AND BROKE HEADS AS WELL

SHOT A DEER WITH ONE LAST NIGHT LOOKED LIKE A BLOOD HIGHWAY GOING TO STICK WITH THEM.

·
THwack--CRASH
11,173 Posts
IowaSwitchback
"Will just send them Rage my way I'll put them to good uses... "

I AGREE SHOT ME A PM WILL SEND MY ADDRESS AND MAIL THEM 3 OR 2 BLADES IM NOT GREADY EVEN PRACTICE TIPS. DULL BLADES AND BROKE HEADS AS WELL

SHOT A DEER WITH ONE LAST NIGHT LOOKED LIKE A BLOOD HIGHWAY GOING TO STICK WITH THEM.
mine looked like roadkills with a mack truck

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Some of you guys on here seem to live for nothing other than to hate on certain things. Are you all that bored?

·
Banned
3,965 Posts
Some of you guys on here seem to live for nothing other than to hate on certain things. Are you all that bored?
I could be wrong but this does not look like hating. It looks like a good honest review.
I used Rage last season with great success...1 buck and 4 does. Great blood trails and all recoveries within 100 yards of POI. All shots were less than 30 yards; found there mark, and I was shooting a 70lb X-force with 27" draw.

IMO the problem with Rages comes with lower poundage bows/lighter arrows (less KE) and shots that are off the mark. Yes, we all strive for a perfect hit, but let's face it bad shots happen from time to time with all the variables that come into play in a hunting situation. A hit too far foward will likely get poor penetration in the shoulder with a Rage, while a fixed blade at sufficient KE will likely blow through it. For this reason, along with price and durability, I will not be using them this season.

$40 for 3 with practice head is darn steep especially when the cutting tip and blades are not razor sharp out of the package. Also, forget replacement blades, the head is done after one shot! I could maybe live with that, but not when you factor in the other deficiencies. Now it could be a great broadhead if it came out of the package with a...robust head, better/durable cutting tip, sharper blades, and better blade locking system to keep them from opening in the quiver or in flight. Hopefully, the quality will catch up to the price next year. Until then, it is back to fixed blades for me.

I'm not bashing, just callin it like I see it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts