Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 119 Posts

· Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Let me qualify all this by saying this is NOT the fault of the broadhead, it's my fault. I made what I would consider a VERY good shot (if I was using a traditional fixed blade broad head), but it was too far forward for a rage. Another 1/4 of an inch back and it would have been fine. Heck, if my broad head was turned 90 degrees in either direction I would have been fine, but it was parallel to the ground.

I share this just so hopefully others can learn from my mistake, I'm not trying to throw my hat into the war.

Here's closeup of the shot:

And here's what happened to the broad head:

The rest of the story is that I found my arrow less than 30 yards in the woods in a pool of blood where the deer first fell. Then he continued to run about a mile until we found him dead in the middle of a cow pasture the next morning. BTW, I guess I should also qualify that I took this buck b/c he had a broken right front leg.

Hope this helps somebody.

· Registered
2,461 Posts
In all honestly Im not surprised of the bent blades , This can happen to any mechanical blade , I think it survived pretty well for being put in the shoulder, I have seen spitfires and rockets with bent ferrules on shoulders . This just goes to show shot placement is everything in the archery world no matter what head your using

· Registered
156 Posts
Shot placement? What are we talking about here, a quarter inch? I see in every Rage thread the fanboys fly in crying that it must have been a bad shot. Well is this really
a bad shot? The above pic compared to this...

Is this what it's coming down to? There's nothing wrong with a Rage as long as you make a perfect shot and aren't off by so much as a quarter inch. :confused:
I suppose the next accusation will be that he bent up the blades himself.

You know, this reminds me of a dozen or so odd years ago. Ford was having a problem with the Explorer blowing up in flames for no reason. How many did they sell? Millions.
How many blew up in flames? A few. But it was still a very serious situation. Ford never blamed it on the drivers.
The first step is admitting there is a problem.

· Registered
2,632 Posts
I will admit there are problems with Rage...The blades are thin and easy to break or bend, and the actual tip is more blunt than it needs to be...

If the blades was solid steel or Titanium to avoid breaking and bending, and the body was adjusted a little, Rage would be an absolutly amazing head you could fire directly into the shoulder without fear of it breaking. Remove tha BS tip they have and make the actualy body of the head the tip instead of that blade bolted onto the body...

· Registered
16,350 Posts
So the blade bent on the shoulder. The bent Rage still has a larger cut than most fixed heads. And there has already been videos of the beloved Slick Tricks not getting pass-throughs too, so its not a penetration issue.:noidea:

You made a shot where the Rage is weakest, and you still recovered the deer. :darkbeer: Not to big of a problem...

· Registered
1,568 Posts
Just wondering, what do you feel would have been different on a fixed blade?
I would say depends on which fixed blade. Some fixed blades probably would zip through that same wound channel and not needed more than a resharpening. Others would fare the same as the Rage head requiring replacment blades at the least.

Rage are an expensive fairly disposable head. The regular two blade Rage also require more kinetic energy than a lot of bows put out. They are not the panacea that Rage's marketing department has made them out to be. No products live entirely up to concerted marketing push's the size of the one for Rage. Super glue used to have a spot with a construction working hanging by his hard hat which had been glued to an I-beam. I can imagine now if that campaign had taken place now. Post's would be flying around AT with comments like. "Super Glue is C*&%, gorrilla glue holds things better...". American society as a whole needs to wake up from that television haze clouding their minds and start thinking for themselves. Maybe someone should spend the hour they were going to spend watching a bunch wannabe actors pretend to be stranded in a tropical paradise gaining a bit more knowledge about an item like a Rage(or any other product) they are considering purchasing.

· Registered
8,952 Posts
I didn't say it was a problem, this wasn't a rage bashing thread or a fanboy thread. This was simply me trying to pass on information so somebody could learn from my mistake.
You having only 55 posts i guess you didn't know all you have to do is post the word "RAGE" and it turns into a battle royal. WATCH OUT FOR THAT CHAIR!!!!! LOL Seriously search the word rage and read a few, kinda funny, kinda sad.

· snıuǝƃ ɹǝʇsɐ&#6
1,984 Posts
Broadheads are not meant to hit bone. NONE of them.

Ive used several different makes and models in my 25 years of bowhunting so far and Ive not seen one
that will stand up well in bone with any certainty.

If theres one made that will....with certainty....blow through hard bone and survive unscathed...I have not seen it
and I am quite sure I wouldnt pay for it because they would probably be $50 a piece.

OP....you made a brand specific post. I consider this a Rage bashing thread in spite of your little disclaimer. You would
have been likely to get the same result with dozens of other broadheads yet you post a thread saying 'this is what happens
with a Rage when a hunter makes a bad shot'

But im glad you got to post your gory pics.

· Registered
1,568 Posts
If theres one made that will....with certainty....blow through hard bone and survive unscathed...I have not seen it
and I am quite sure I wouldnt pay for it because they would probably be $50 a piece.

or

or

I don't recommend trying to drive a broadhead through bone but you can be reasonably certain that either of those will stand up well to hitting a bone. There are also some others I would feel confident with such as a Magnus Stinger(even if it gets trashed send it back then get a new one free), Maasai, Ashby single bevel, or the Nanook.

Out of the ones I just listed, the Magnus is probably the most cost effective (cheapest and great warranty). It is also the one that will prove easiest to tune for most shooters (smaller than most of the others so less planing from the front). No matter the tip on the front unless your pushing a lot of Ke a light arrow is not going to penetrate. Heavier arrows will penetrate better but there is the sacrifice of not having a flat trajectory.

1 - 20 of 119 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.