Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am simply a curious person, and I was wondering who has ever hit the shoulder of an animal with a rage BH and what happened?
I personally don't shoot rage because I don't pull a heavy enough weight being a woman, but I have always wondered how that would turn out. I have nothing against rage, there are pros and cons to all different kinds of broad heads. I would just like to know!
Also while we are on the subject, has anyone had a rage not deploy while they were hunting? How did that turn out?

·
Registered
441 Posts
I punched the shoulder blade on my buck last year. I had a longer tracking job than I'm used to (around 300 yards), but managed to recover the deer. shot was 30 yards quartering away slightly. It was a rushed shot, I'll admit. I hit the deer forward and ended up with about 8 to 10" of penetration. My arrow shaft broke off in the chest cavity, which probably helped my cause. I gave him about
2 1/2 hours after it was all said and done. Blood trail was not very good, but never is on that shot.

All in all, I don't blame the broadhead at all. My shot, my fault. They're in my quiver this year again.

DL 28", LB #61, 286fps Rage 3-blade chisel tip

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I was 3 for 3 with three blade, 2 for two with chisel tip, and 5 for 5 with hypodermic. Had a deer that I shot through the shoulder blade last year and still had a pass through. Even with a fixed blade, I try a little behind the shoulder to take out both lungs and blow through them unless quartering away and aim for offside shoulder. Had a doe not make it 10 yards last year with a perfect shot. I really like the Hypodermic with the shorter stronger head. Shot a really good sized buck a week ago hard quartering away. Arrow went all the way through and lodged in shoulder ball on off side. No pass through but blood trail was great on entrance hole.

Would not recommend hypo with less than 70 lbs KE.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've shot rage since they came out and have never lost an animal with them. I try different broadheads also just to see how tough they are. My wife shoots a Bow tech Assassin at 50# and she has shot several deer through the shoulder with a rage and it has always at least stuck out the other side. I would recommend them to anyone, also the NAP Kill zone is just as good in my opinion.

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
Everything I have every hit with a rage I have killed and recovered!
I tinker around a lot and have tried all kinds of different broadheads. I have finally found the one for me:
The Hypodermics (with the new blades) are nothing short of amazing! 2/3 deer I have destroyed opposite side shoulder and head comes out looking perfect.
Blood trails are INSANE and so easy to follow! I have found my broadhead for the next few years at least.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I shot a doe on Oct 27 @ 20 yds and it went through both shoulders. Looked like cornmeal. Combo of the old Rage 2-blade, 2" cut and 70#ke. Never had an issue with them.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have only used Rage since they came out and only lost 1 deer and that was one I hit in the shoulder blade. I don't blame the BH just my poor execution of the shot and a one time experiment with a lite arrow! I did recently blow through both shoulders of a Doe with my crossbow and a Rage 2 blade this year. Broke both shoulders and she went head over heals! LOVE THE RAGE!!

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I have used hypodemics the last 2 years and have had nothing but great results. Best blood trails I have ever had in 30 yrs of bow hunting.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I use hypos and am 2 for 2 with them with pass throughs both times. I know this doesn't answer your question but some people will never use rage or similar mech's but really if the blades don't deploy but you make a good shot on the animal, most likely you will still do enough damage to kill. I have shot other broadheads both mech and fixed blade and the hypos seem to do the best.. (haven't shot the 3 blade, or kore rage's). Although replacing the collars is a pain but its worth it.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I use the 40KE Rage and love them. Perfect for #60 bows in my opinion.

Dennis

·
Registered
734 Posts
Love the hypo's, I switched from ST mag's and don't look to go back.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Used them for a bit, rage extreme 2.3 and some of the earlier rages before the collar (o ring instead). Hated the o ring, did the job on the two deer I took w/ them but could very easily open in the stand if them bumped anything. Gave the 3rd head away. Rage extreme I was pretty confident w/, first deer I shot went no where, huge blood trail although I didn't need it. Here is the video of the 2nd I shot w/ an extreme (pass through) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8nKAEuOQAc, she went 400 yards and off the property, never found her that night and it rained the next day when I had permission to go look on the neighbors. I think it may have been one of those freak situations where a whitetail endures what looks to be a good shot and goes for a mile.

Although my experiences haven't been wonderful I wouldn't hesitate to shoot rage again in the future. Shooting Ulmer Edge now, great head.

·
Registered
250 Posts
use 2 blade rage chisel tip, so far so good, make a good shot and all broadheads will work the same

1 - 20 of 32 Posts