Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else have the problem of being up in your stand and an arrow nocked and then the broadhead inadvertently bumps something and is like half deployed or in some stage of opening. May not have time to check in the heat of action.

·
Vendor
4,577 Posts
The first time i used the Rage heads was opening day 2 years ago. I drew back on a doe and the blade caught the front of my riser and opened up. I went ahead shot ( 18 yards). The next thing i know i was dragging.

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
Nope never had that problem ever in the last 2 years with them opening prematurely, check your equipment before you go afield and change the O-rings if needed and you wont have a problem with them opening prematurely!

·
Liv4Rut
7,281 Posts
I have only had that problem once and I will admit it was my own fault. It cost me a 173 inch 12 pointer. The buck came in on the right side of the tree and just as I started to pull back he saw something he didn't like. He spooked and ran about 15 yards on the other side of the tree quartering away. I kept my bow drawn and tried to move it on the other side of the tree and just when I got perpendicular to the tree my rage caught the edge of the bark and opened up.

So now I am at full draw on a boone and crockett animal and my rage is half opened. I thought about shooting but didn't want to wound a magnificent animal. I slowly let down and tried to fix the blade but I couldn't get it done with my gloves on. The buck eventually trotted out of range. I still kick myself in the butt over that one. My buddy ended up taking him a week later....

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So how true will the arrow fly partially opened up, it appears OK at 18 yards. Even with good O rings it appears it doesn't take much bump to open them. Maybe I'm just not careful enough. I know they open when I pull one out of the quiver. The foam causes them to open.

·
Elitist
5,753 Posts
No problem here either. 3 turkeys and a buck with Rage 3 blade. I really would like to shoot one with one blade not hooked into the rubber band just to see where it goes. I just can't believe it could make it fly two feet off line like some have said.

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
So how true will the arrow fly partially opened up, it appears OK at 18 yards. Even with good O rings it appears it doesn't take much bump to open them. Maybe I'm just not careful enough. I know they open when I pull one out of the quiver. The foam causes them to open.
Yea depending on what quiver you use you may have problems with them opening as you remove the arrow, the Wildman Fast Four, Cat Quivers, and Treelimb quivers all work great with Rage in my experiences. As for how well they fly check out the link below and you will see you have NO worries!!!

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1055819

·
Registered
281 Posts
Only time i ever have that problem is if i'm still hunting and the tip of my arrow hits a twig. Once in my tree i knock the arrow and double check to make sure it's good to go an then hang it on my bow hanger. 4 does and 2 bucks in 3 years with them.

·
Embrace the suck!
7,673 Posts
I bet your buddy was happy.

I have only had that problem once and I will admit it was my own fault. It cost me a 173 inch 12 pointer. The buck came in on the right side of the tree and just as I started to pull back he saw something he didn't like. He spooked and ran about 15 yards on the other side of the tree quartering away. I kept my bow drawn and tried to move it on the other side of the tree and just when I got perpendicular to the tree my rage caught the edge of the bark and opened up.

So now I am at full draw on a boone and crockett animal and my rage is half opened. I thought about shooting but didn't want to wound a magnificent animal. I slowly let down and tried to fix the blade but I couldn't get it done with my gloves on. The buck eventually trotted out of range. I still kick myself in the butt over that one. My buddy ended up taking him a week later....
Ouch, that one hurts. I have a buddy that climbed out of his stand to take a whizz. He heard something and looked over as a gigantic 4x4 with 11 inch eyeguards trotted in to 20 yds. Luckily he had taken his bow down with him and he knocked an arrow. One of his Rage 3 blades was partially open so he tried to grab another one. The buck caught his movement and ran off. My buddy finished what he was doing, reeled in his wand, and went home. He never saw that buck again. He was using an Alpine Soft Loc with the deep foam. I use a Kwikee Kwiver with the shallow rubber and have never had a problem. I always check the blades before I noc them just to be safe.

·
Former Wyoming Boy
8,664 Posts
Check out the thread that's on the first page of the list right now. A guy test shoots a rage with ONE blade open at 50 yards and it's in the kill zone.

Need to have your bow tuned for fixed blades though.

·
Registered
865 Posts
good o-rings are the key. i can take mine and smack the arrow around, it rattles a touch but wont open.
i agree on this one. ive done the same thing with the same results. heres one for ya, i also did a test to see if i could get them to fly bad. i took the o-ring completely off the head and closed the blades like you would to lock them under the o-ring. shot three times and shot perfect bulls eyes on every shot with dead straight arrow flight and the blades didnt open till they hit the target. i could tell b/c i could hear them smack the body since there wasnt any o-ring there to cushion the blades. the only time they didnt fly good was when the blades were completely open before the shot. other than that they shot awesome. always check your o-rings.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
man i want to say lonestar did a vid last year shooting rages that were already deployed ( blades out). i want to say it did not make a difference as far as point of impact.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Dental Floss

I read on the other post that dental floss was tied around the mechanical. I assumed that worked, I guess it keeps the mechanical closed, might give that a whirl.

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
never had an issue with my Rage's opening while in the tree. . I always check the O-Rings, and make sure they are good.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts