Archery Talk Forum banner

Rage Broadheads

503 Views 10 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  Will K
Hey guys
What do you think of the Rage Broadheads, I want to try them but still not sure on mechanical heads yet, so convince me.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
5,249 Posts
If ya like mechanicals than they are your head. I personally cant get away from crimson talons

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess I should say that right now I'm shooting Magnus 2 Bladed Stingers 100 Grain

· Registered
13,544 Posts
If you are looking for a mech with a very large cutting surface and are willing to pay quite a bit for them, they might be the way to go. They are not my personal choice, but I have heard many friends say they love 'em. Make sure you have enough KE to penetrate them deep enough into an animal. Compared to the 2 blade Stingers you are using now, you will not get as much penetration.

· Tooth, Fang, Claw
6,284 Posts
Here's my personal theory on mechanical BH's; When they hit the market years ago, they were touted to fly just like field points (or pretty close, which most of them do). So, folks who couldn't, or wouldn't, tune their bows with fixed blade broadheads (and there's a lot of them out there, believe me) figured they could just screw a mech BH on the end of their arrow and go hit the woods without a properly tuned bow and/or a properly tuned arrow. Figuring that the mech BH would hit like their field points, then not recovering their game, mech BH's get a bad rap (always blame the wquipment, right?). But they would have probably experienced the same outcome if they were using a fixed blade. Of course shot angle, distance, SHOT PLACEMENT, and other factors always come into play as well. It's just as important, if not more important to have your equipment properly tuned when using mechanical BH's because you want/need the proper amount of KE, and perfect arrow flight to allow the head to deploy properly. Granted, some mech BH's perform better than others simply due to their design, method of operation, and the material the are constructed of. Mechanicl BH's have came a long way in the past several years, (as has the efficiency of the modern day compound bow) and when used properly, have a devastating effect on game. Maybe fixed blade, or COC fixed blades might have an edge in the penetration department, but mech BH's will do the job as long as the person using them does their job. This is just my "spin" on mech BH's after years and years of bow hunting. Others may have different opinions, or may totally disagree with my thoughts altogeather, but I'll bet I'm not too far off base. Right now, the RAGE mech BH is one of the most popular heads on the market. There's gotta be a reason for that. But in the meantime, I'll stick with my Spitfires.........and I've had pass-thrus on everything I've shot in the past 10 years from 17 to 40 yds. :wink:

· Registered
19,079 Posts
Yep the snypers are a great head. My personal favorite from Rocky Mountain was the Gators thou!!!

for $10 more than 1 pack of rages
you could get 2 packs of RM snypers,
same head with a slightly smaller cut ,and they stay closed better.

· Registered
2,124 Posts
Solid head

You know, for a few years I swore off mechs. I decided that I would try them again this year for a change and due to reports from some I know about how Rage's worked for them.

My bow is well tuned and at close to 90ft/lb of KE. So I have plenty of energy behind the head.

Shot my first deer with one yesterday.

The head made it through the deer, and into the ground 8-12" I'd estimate. 6yd shot. The head looks perfect. I was amazed. Reading some threads on here and another site recently had me very seriously thinking about putting the Tricks back on (bow shoots both dead on with FPs). I opted to give them a chance. The head worked great and was in good shape after the shot.

I believe regardless of cost in hanging up a head after it takes a deer. I dont know what strain may be in there my eyes can not see and I dont want to take a chance on the next critter. so I wont be putting new blades in and using it again. But from all appearances I could.

Again, I'm shooting a ton of energy so maybe that is why I had such a positive outcome with it. I dont know. But I do know that the head performed well and I feel good they will work again well for me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.