Archery Talk Forum banner

Rage Broadheads

955 Views 31 Replies 28 Participants Last post by  stlmodroptine
what do ya'll think about the rage broadheads, be honest. I've been shooting muzzy 3 blades for years now and there a good broadhead but i've been hearing great things from rage. what do ya'll think
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Registered
960 Posts
If fixed blade heads fly good out of your bow why use a mechanical? I have used both mainly Muzzy and Rocket with the same good results on deer but I don't have to worry about a fixed blade not performing if I put it in the right spot.

· Registered
7,580 Posts
Ive used both the 2 and 3 blade Rage. I personally think they are a terrific expandable. Nothing but positive results with them. They fly great, are durable, penetrate well, and leave huge wounds.
If i was a still hunter(stalking), i may not recommened them, only because they will open up if bumped(sometimes).
While stand hunting, its a non-factor.

· Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've been hearing that there penetration holes are that of a freakin cannon, my muzzy's are good but most of the deer I have shot dont leave great blood trials. My father-in-law shoots muzzy's as well and he shot a buck this season and while tracking he too noticed the blood trial wasn't great. Even after the recovery we noticed that he had perfect shot placement. so....I may give them a whirl and see how it goes

· Registered
3,243 Posts
I shot the Muzzy BHs for years and they are a great "Vanilla" head with no failures. I did sometimes think I wasn't getting enough blood trail and switched to the Montecs, which were the sharpest heads I'd ever used, but still not alot of blood. I shot the Rage last year and WOW. The broadhead testing that Petersen's Archery conducted convinced me that they would be durable. They shot all BHs through concrete backer board and the Rage penetrated completely and did not break or bend the blades. The biggest reason I like them is there is more blood trail than anything I've ever shot. I use the 2" 2 blade.

Best of luck and good shootin'.

· Team #9
9,751 Posts
I did kill a buck with them this year..but was lucky to find it..thanks to the
lumen nock I was able to....not for me...the tip curled and I got bad
penitration..and the hit was perfect, got it all on Video...no pass thru
and Iam was shooting my X-Force at 72.6 lbs with 370 gr arrow.
hard to keep in your quiver. maybe they would be great for Turkeys....
no pass thru..is what you want on a bird.....

bigbucks170

· Registered
396 Posts
Got a set liked em, no complaints... Switching to Montec CS's this year... If you want a virtually new set of 2 blade 100 grains, hit me up and we can make a deal...

Stay away from 3-blades, problems with full expansion

· Registered
342 Posts
Me and all my friends use the 2 blade and have had nothing but sucess with them. Deer usually run about 40 yards and drop!

· Registered
1,612 Posts
Love my two blade 100gr rage...I dropped 3 deer this year with them, 2 fell almost in there tracks, and 2 out of the 3 broadheads are still good, 1 hit bone bretty hard wrecked the broadhead and the arrow, so i dont feel so bad about that one...

· Registered
1,296 Posts
Rage

I used Rage 2 blade last season, I switched back to Slick Tricks but went with the Grizz Tricks this time. The rage will open in your quiver, or if you have a arrow nocked while stalking (like I do) and they even touch a twig/branch they will open. Dident like that.

Stick with fixed blades

· Registered
5,381 Posts
I like my slick tricks. The only advantage to mechanicals I can see is the 'fly like a field tip' thing, but honestly if tuned properly slick tricks should do the same thing.

· Registered
4 Posts
I've shot them for a couple of years and am really impressed. I like the 2 blade best. They fly great and leave a wound channel big enough for a VW bug to drive through. I will say that the o-rings can be a bit bothersome as they will fail after a while and need to be replaced. Still, it's easy to take a look at them before a hunt and simple enough to replace that it's not that big of a deal. I'm an outdoor writer and I shoot what people give me to try out and critique. I get tons of heads that I never shoot again after trying them but I've found myself gravitating toward these whenever I'm hitting the woods. I've seen no problems with pass throughs unless an angled shot lodges in the opposite shoulder. That hasn't happened to me but I've seen it. Happens with all heads from time to time so kinda hard to consider that a drawback.

I recently worked on an article with Hank Parker and he gave me several packs of the Swhacker broadheads that he's promoting. From what I can tell so far (just shooting into layered targets) they fly just as well and leave a similar wound channel through the target. The biggest difference is that, instead of an o-ring, they have a small ring of shrinkwrap that holds the blades in flight. It pops on impact and releases the blades. Looking forward to trying them on the living to truly compare but I think they'll create a "gusher" as well. The shrinkwrap is obviously replaced on them each time. Sounds bothersome but they just slide over and shrink with the heat off of a lighter. The one thing that I have noticed about these that I think is better is the fact that the shrinkwrap ring is pretty durable until an actual impact. The blades of the Rage heads will occasionally slip off of the o-ring and dangle while just walking around or when bumped.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.