Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Always have been a rage hater due to so many friends having failures on countless deer. I used killzones last year with great results but the new Hypodermics have caught my eye and supposedly rage fixed the problems. Has anyone had a failure with the new rage hypodermics? Or success

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'll go ahead and say that this is my first year bow hunting and my first bow kill experience. I shot a roughly 100lb sow on Sunday morning with a Rage Hypodermic. It worked perfectly. My only complaint is that I didn't get a full pass through at 25 yards. She didn't bleed much at first, but bled like crazy after the arrow came out. I hit her a little further back than I really wanted, but still got heart and lungs.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm no pass thru, what poundage are you shooting?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Shot an antelope with one. Quartering away at 20 yards and got complete pass through. Shot a bear with one Saturday at 10 yards and it was a pass through. That head is ruined lol. It zipped right through and hit a big rock. I was a skeptic but the steel ferrule and shock collars made me decide to try them. I have no complaints.

·
Registered
7,871 Posts
I think your friends need some more target practice.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I cant complain about the killzones because they work great, but yes the steel ferules and shock collars are what caught my eye.
One guy shot the nine pointer in muzzleloader and found the rage still closed inside the buck when he gutted it. The other friends never recovered thier deer. So bad shots are on the table.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Shot a doe at 37 yards from a quickly made natural ground blind. I shoot a 365 grain arrow (Maximum Hunter 250 - cut short). EZ 7 at 65 lbs moving about 285 FPS. Complete pass through and stuck in the ground / high grass. Slight break on the end of one blade. No way to tell if it broke off in the deer or when it hit the ground. Doesn't really matter. I saw the doe fall 50 yards away. The exit hole was at least 2 inches. The entry hole was just about a inch. Maybe a little more. Definetly not as large of entry hole that I get from the originals.

·
I have MANY BOWS
2,432 Posts
I used killzones for my turkey (Neck shot opened perfect), just literally bought rage hypodermics 2 days ago...I'm taking both in my quiver, I hope they work.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think the other thread was in undirect response to mine. But good info on here. Thanks for all the responses

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just about my same specs, thanks for the info
No problem. The Hypodermic itself performed exactly like it should. There was a huge entry and exit hole and a blind man could've followed the blood trail once the arrow came out. I'm just not sure the combo with my bow setup, arrow, and broadhead works like I want it to on hogs. Hopefully, I'll get a chance this weekend to try it on a deer.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No problem. The Hypodermic itself performed exactly like it should. There was a huge entry and exit hole and a blind man could've followed the blood trail once the arrow came out. I'm just not sure the combo with my bow setup, arrow, and broadhead works like I want it to on hogs. Hopefully, I'll get a chance this weekend to try it on a deer.
Might end up buying some hypodermics tmrw. They will be used on whitetails, and by the feedback I feel they will do the job.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I used killzones for my turkey (Neck shot opened perfect), just literally bought rage hypodermics 2 days ago...I'm taking both in my quiver, I hope they work.
Killzones have worked great for me on deer,and left massive blood trails but I had to adjust my sights about three inches right for them.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I shot slick tricks for years and love them. Switched arrows this year and can't get a ST in deep six so I bought the QAD Exodus. Bought some Hypodermics just because they had me curious. When I shot the antelope he was 63 yards and I thought I grabbed a Rage tipped arrow. Got one with the Exodus instead. At the shot the buck ducked and I hit a little high. It would have killed him but I wanted to make sure he was dispatched quickly so that's why to 20 yard shot with the Rage. The bear I just thoght I might as well try the Hypodermic. They make a nasty hole and I had good blood even with a marginal shot. Think I'll stick with the Exodus for elk but who knows. I keep both heads in my quiver.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I shot slick tricks for years and love them. Switched arrows this year and can't get a ST in deep six so I bought the QAD Exodus. Bought some Hypodermics just because they had me curious. When I shot the antelope he was 63 yards and I thought I grabbed a Rage tipped arrow. Got one with the Exodus instead. At the shot the buck ducked and I hit a little high. It would have killed him but I wanted to make sure he was dispatched quickly so that's why to 20 yard shot with the Rage. The bear I just thoght I might as well try the Hypodermic. They make a nasty hole and I had good blood even with a marginal shot. Think I'll stick with the Exodus for elk but who knows. I keep both heads in my quiver.
I have been using exodus for bear hunting due to thier strength, good to know the hypodermic held up to a bear!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Yeah, it worked very good. A lot better than my spelling in my previous post..... I really like the design of the Exodus and they are sharp and fly good. I can't say anything bad about the Hypodermics though. They have proved to me that they are a quality head. Still have two elk tags and two deer tags so hopefully I get to put them to the test again. They've definately earned a spot in my quiver.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts