Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
not here.... i saw some post on here about penetration issues with rage heads i for one have not had a problem and yes i have hit bone with them, so if you have some pass threw shots with rage lets see em the latest was a doe last night 10/2/09 nice easy chip shot i exited threw the opposite leg and one blade hit the bone enough to break it.... it also bent the blade you can see a smaller than normal exit hole

entry

entry zoom

exit smaller hole... threw the front leg

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks

here is a pic of the full deer she is a very nice big doe... going to be tasty back straps for dinner!

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
COngrats!! Good eating!!

·
Registered
544 Posts
I just bought some Rage for this season and I don't get why sometimes the arrow only goes in half way and then other times it blows through the deer. This has to be the most controversal broadhead ever made by far. Does the penetration have to do with how the broadhead splits the ribs when it goes in the deer or if it hits a rib head on and that's where penetration is not good? You guys know why this seems to be a talked about problem with the Rage penetration. We all know they leave a huge hole in the deer but these seem to be about 50/50 on pass throughs. I haven't got good bloodtrails on the last few deer I've shot so I thought I would try them out since tons of the pros are using them today with good success.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
nice doe.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Good Job! How much KE are you getting with your setup ?
i would guess around 76-77 lbs of ke

i checked speed at local shop a week or two a go... the weight of the arrow was 384 and i was getting 299 i had some tuning issues and the suggested a lighter spined arrow and it now weighs 364 grains but i dont know its speed.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I just bought some Rage for this season and I don't get why sometimes the arrow only goes in half way and then other times it blows through the deer. This has to be the most controversal broadhead ever made by far. Does the penetration have to do with how the broadhead splits the ribs when it goes in the deer or if it hits a rib head on and that's where penetration is not good? You guys know why this seems to be a talked about problem with the Rage penetration. We all know they leave a huge hole in the deer but these seem to be about 50/50 on pass throughs. I haven't got good bloodtrails on the last few deer I've shot so I thought I would try them out since tons of the pros are using them today with good success.
Ive had pass thru's w both the deer ive shot since i switched to em...one was a perfect shot placement..the other went thru both shoulders no problem...no damage to the blades, nuthin...re-sharpen and back to the quiver they go....

·
Registered
103 Posts
heads

I'm happy with the heads but last year I had a heck of a nice buck at 27 yards, shot the arrow fell out about 10 yards later. left 1 heck of a blood trail, I could see where he bedded down several times.Never did find the deer, an the broadhead was all messed up, guess I must have caught the edge of the shoulder.

·
Registered
7,574 Posts
back in the day before compounds when we shot recurves we thought a non-pass threw was a good thing. while the deer was running the arrow was moving around inside and causing more damage.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I bought a pack of rage 2 and thought they where trash until I figured out how they stayed closed when drawing back. I cant wait until i get a deer with one.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Good doe.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have a theory on this right or wrong. they shoot like a field point so when people get them and practice they hit wright where they want them to. with a fixed blade you have to broadhead tune your bow and it shoots lasers than. when you shoot the rages out of the package they hit where they should so no one broad head tunes. the arrow whips comeing out of the bow and you instantly loose Ke. hence loss of Ke = no pass thru. Just my opinion

1 - 20 of 21 Posts