Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A short back-story:
I have been on a hiatus from AT for a while, but decided that this is where I need to be asking questions for advice...
I had open-heart surgery back in August of 2017. It has been almost a year, and I am already back into weight-lifting, but have decided that I do not want to be pushing the limits on draw weight. I have decided that I am going to keep my draw weight under 60 lbs.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I do not think that the Grim Reaper 1 5/8" are going to work on my Brute X shooting around 50 lbs. I have decided that I am going to give the Rage SS a try, as I want to stick to a mechanical. (If I remember correctly, this will elicit responses about how I should be shooting a fixed head, tuning my bow, etc...) My bow is tuned, but I cannot ever seem to get a fixed head to fly with my field tips, plus I do not want to be blowing through targets because I am having to practice with broad heads so I know that I am accurate...

I am looking for any and all experiences with this broad head (Rage SS).

As always, thank you, and it is good to be back.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
if you must use a mech i'd look at something like the rocket steelhead at 1-1/8" or the rage ss or hypodermic +P as you were saying since they are 1-1/2".

And yes, you remember correctly, you should be tuning your bow. this statement: "My bow is tuned, but I cannot ever seem to get a fixed head to fly with my field tips..." is incorrect. Your bow is not tuned. there is no further argument on this. If your fixed do not hit with your fp's, your bow is not tuned properly. (or your form is not proper, one of the two).

You will get better penetration with mechs if you can tune a fixed head to fly with your fp's. Your arrows will be flying better from a tuned bow, and you will need all the momentum you can get.

welcome back! Good luck with further recovery and hopefully you're GTG after that surgery. That's a scary one man!

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
If I were you at that weight and wanting to use a mech I’d go with the rage +p hypo but swing that they’ve increased their price again maybe look at other options like this Wasp Jakhammer in 1 1/4” cut

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just looking for a general review of the Rage SS, as there are not that many out there...

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
the SS is a good head. gets the job done, made for setups like yours. i prefer the chisel tips over the cut on contact blade of the SS. you could just cut the blades shorter on a regular rage if you have some laying around.

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
I have shot so many animals with the rocky mountain synper which is basically a rage SS, I would never shoot the 2"rage, bad blade angle

·
Registered
8,261 Posts
I shot 2 deer with a Rage +P last year out of my 56 pound bow and did not have a pass through on either. Both were under 20 yards too so that bothered me. I easily recovered both deer but I am switching to a fixed blade Magnus for this season.

·
Registered
8,878 Posts
Well tuned bow , super heavy arrow u could probably use a bigger cut mech.

·
Registered
409 Posts
the SS is a good head. gets the job done, made for setups like yours. i prefer the chisel tips over the cut on contact blade of the SS. you could just cut the blades shorter on a regular rage if you have some laying around.
The whole point of the Rage SS is not just actually having a smaller cut diameter, but also having a more swept back blade angle.

I have used the Rage SS extensively in the past because I was pulling 60lbs and have a draw length of 27”. I was shooting a light weight arrow of 330gr, but had pass throughs a on all game that I shot. The smaller cut diameter helps, but I believe it’s the blade angle that tremendously aids in penetration. I’ve shot through both shoulder blade of deers and still had pass throughs with the same arrow mentioned above. I honestly think that even with I had a longer draw length and pulled heavier poundage, the Rage SS’s blade angle and penetration still trumps cut diameter of other Rage models. This is just my PERSONAL experience.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts