Registered
13,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Check out my new test of the Trypan NC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,691 Posts
Wont watch, all you do is bash on Rage and pimp Sevr. And its been proven over and over the Sevr heads are junk.

·
Registered
Pse Mach 1
5,265 Posts
I think he does a great review and doesn’t slam anything in ur face about what to go with. I have the rage trypan nc and agree with his findings also.

·
can I shoot it?
17,162 Posts
Wont watch, all you do is bash on Rage and pimp Sevr. And its been proven over and over the Sevr heads are junk.
I have to disagree. I really like Rage broadheads. I have taken over a dozen different big game species with them and several more javelina, Turkey and smaller game as well. I also have sent Trypans to Lusk to test out. While I like Rages I think John does an awesome job testing all heads side by side and if there are weakness in a head he shows it. If he prefers a certain head it is because it has done well in the tests. The NC design gives me equal pause for using them. If you compare this test to the Huntstand broadhead test this year they also had the rage (in that case the Extreme Chisel tip NC) close up in the gel test. That makes me worry a bit. Will I still use them? Probably as I have had excellent results in the past, but Lusk’s tests have show me there are a lot of good choices.

·
Registered
12,691 Posts
I have to disagree. I really like Rage broadheads. I have taken over a dozen different big game species with them and several more javelina, Turkey and smaller game as well. I also have sent Trypans to Lusk to test out. While I like Rages I think John does an awesome job testing all heads side by side and if there are weakness in a head he shows it. If he prefers a certain head it is because it has done well in the tests. The NC design gives me equal pause for using them. If you compare this test to the Huntstand broadhead test this year they also had the rage (in that case the Extreme Chisel tip NC) close up in the gel test. That makes me worry a bit. Will I still use them? Probably as I have had excellent results in the past, but Lusk’s tests have show me there are a lot of good choices.
Well, you push and pimp his videos as much as he pimps sevr...

·
Registered
12,691 Posts
As historically proven, the mention of anything Rage draws the ire of its fans unless the discussion is 100% positive. Too funny.
Not going to deny that.

I tried to watch a video and I remember this...

Paraphrasing...

"I dont know why I continue to test these things, they always fail"

Then he got all moist fondling a sevr

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Gel tests suck for broadhead expansion. If they don’t lock open, the gel will push them shut.

You cannot judge this, or any similar head by the gel test. Deer insides are not gel.

I strongly disagree with using gel in a test like this, but it’s not my test, can’t control it.

I personally have had excellent results with regular Rage Trypans, never a failure, always an excellent wound channel and a short tracking job.

I have killed two deer and an elk with a Sevr. All animals died, but did not like the performance on any animal. The way the blades go side to side really effect the entrance/exit wound. I slammed a medium doe at 20 yards with a Sevr 2.0, perfect shot in the rib cage. I was shooting a 77# VXR 30” draw, 565 grain arrow - a LOT of energy. That arrow went in, deflected and did not pass through.

I’ve never not had a pass through with a Trypan…just saying…

·
Registered
12,691 Posts
Well to be fair, they are all trash chinese junk metal anyways, so let him fondle his and you fondle yours lol.
Trash that kill more in one month than the POS he peddles ever will.

·
Registered
12,691 Posts
Gel tests suck for broadhead expansion. If they don’t lock open, the gel will push them shut.

You cannot judge this, or any similar head by the gel test. Deer insides are not gel.

I strongly disagree with using gel in a test like this, but it’s not my test, can’t control it.

I personally have had excellent results with regular Rage Trypans, never a failure, always an excellent wound channel and a short tracking job.

I have killed two deer and an elk with a Sevr. All animals died, but did not like the performance on any animal. The way the blades go side to side really effect the entrance/exit wound. I slammed a medium doe at 20 yards with a Sevr 2.0, perfect shot in the rib cage. I was shooting a 77# VXR 30” draw, 565 grain arrow - a LOT of energy. That arrow went in, deflected and did not pass through.

The real test is on live animals in actual hunting conditions, and thats where Rage heads shine.

·
The Impartial Archer
20,184 Posts
I have shot deer with a LOT of different heads. That said I'm trying the Rage heads again this year....I shot the original Rages, the Hypos and this year the Xtreme's. I tried the Sevr's 1.5's two years ago and they did fine and I like to see how this stuff works in the field for myself.

For me I have to see a LOT of good things to stay with mechanicals because I hate the little screws, collars, bands, springs and the hassles of swapping blades out on them bar none. Most are one time use heads in reality and not real cost productive IMO. So I always dabble with them and then go back to a easy, stronger, reuseable fixed head the next year.........as the hassles just get to me for the slight flight advantages.

That said I have seen so many non-pass threw shots lately on TV from women and men that pour blood out of a wide entry hole it has got me curious...........I gots' to know.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts

why is the physics of gel pushing against a broadhead significantly different from the insides of a deer pushing in a similar direction?

1 - 20 of 190 Posts