Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I was lucky enough to punch a doe tag on public land in NH this weekend. I’ve been using wasp jak hammers for the past 3 years but was intrigued by the new trypan NC broadness enough to give it a try.
Results were less than stellar and not what I was expecting.
I had a perfect broadside 21 yard shot and could not have placed my arrow much better.
Entry hole was probably the exact 2” but the exit was only 1 1/4” at best. The arrow passed completely through and buried into a tree root. Slightly bent blades but nothing too much to worry about.

my biggest concern was the blood trail was almost non existent. I fully believe I would have struggled to find this deer in the dark. She probably made it 100 yards from my tree.

I fully believe that third cutting edge makes a huge difference in how much blood is let out , and how far the animal makes it on the death run.

Doe meat in the freezer though , bring on October !

Hunting Deer hunting Plant Plant community Trophy hunting

Entry side
Grey Asphalt Wood Insect Road surface

exit side
Hood Fawn Headgear Motor vehicle Tints and shades

Attachments

·
Registered
445 Posts
Well I was lucky enough to punch a doe tag on public land in NH this weekend. I’ve been using wasp jak hammers for the past 3 years but was intrigued by the new trypan NC broadness enough to give it a try.
Results were less than stellar and not what I was expecting.
I had a perfect broadside 21 yard shot and could not have placed my arrow much better.
Entry hole was probably the exact 2” but the exit was only 1 1/4” at best. The arrow passed completely through and buried into a tree root. Slightly bent blades but nothing too much to worry about.

my biggest concern was the blood trail was almost non existent. I fully believe I would have struggled to find this deer in the dark. She probably made it 100 yards from my tree.

I fully believe that third cutting edge makes a huge difference in how much blood is let out , and how far the animal makes it on the death run.

Doe meat in the freezer though , bring on October !

View attachment 7705775

Entry side
View attachment 7705777

exit side
View attachment 7705778
Great looking doe. Congrats man! I have always believed 3 blade to be superior to 2. 3 blades make hole, 2 blades make a gash.

·
Registered
5,677 Posts
It just goes to show that you cant predict blood trails regardless of what BH you use. Unless you are shooting from an elevated stand even a passthrough isnt going to leave much blood on the ground. That only happens when an main artery is hit. Then you have a crime scene amount of blood. I bet her chest cavity was full of blood. The BH did its job and you have some good freezer meat. Congrats on your success.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
That is why I went to grim reaper carni fours, the smaller blades almost never break, they fly awesome and 4 blades are devistating. This is a muley my 10 yr old shot at 13 yds with a crossbow. That was the entry, the exit was out the opposite back hip and arrow buried in a dirt bank, cleaned up, sharpened and the head was good to go again.
Dog Plant Carnivore Dog breed Grey

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It just goes to show that you cant predict blood trails regardless of what BH you use. Unless you are shooting from an elevated stand even a passthrough isnt going to leave much blood on the ground. That only happens when an main artery is hit. Then you have a crime scene amount of blood. I bet her chest cavity was full of blood. The BH did its job and you have some good freezer meat. Congrats on your success.
Surprisingly. Gutting her out , not much blood. It must have been where we found her. Shot placement trumps everything. Any broadhead I used would have worked. I just believe what I’ve used in the past works better lol.

Reactions: roosiebull

·
Registered
5,677 Posts
Surprisingly. Gutting her out , not much blood. It must have been where we found her. Shot placement trumps everything. Any broadhead I used would have worked. I just believe what I’ve used in the past works better lol.
It probably all leaked out while she lay on the ground. I have never used mechanicals, so I have no point of reference. My son used Grim Reapers last year and had similar results as you. Good shot but not alot of blood. We did recover the deer and all ended as it should have. But again he was in a ground blind and that was part of the reason he used a mechanical hoping for more blood on the ground. It just cant be predicted and here is more anecdotal evidence of that mechanicals dont really change that fact.

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Lung shots don't leave huge blood trails unless you've got a steep angle out the exit. With any broadhead you ain't gonna have much blood on a lung shot.

I realize this is not an absolute, that yes you might have the occasional. Typically though is what I'm saying before anybody wants to gut me and hang me by my intestines.

·
Registered
Elite Basin
267 Posts
I thought you disliked the mechanicals. I did not even realize that the trypan was a mechanical until I looked it up. So what made you change your mind?!

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Great shot. The entry wound may have been a tad high if I had to nitpick. Those tend not to leave as good of blood trails in my experience
I mean I suppose it’s higher than the exit. I was shooting from a stand. Exit hole should have been dumping.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I thought you disliked the mechanicals. I did not even realize that the trypan was a mechanical until I looked it up. So what made you change your mind?!
I’ve been using mechanicals only since 2011. I’m a big time mech lover.

·
Premium Member
Bear Adapt, Goldtip Hunter xt 300 , cbe sight, b-stinger stabilizer Qad mxt rest.
4,947 Posts
My experience has been exact opposite of yours with the nc rage. Great bloodtrails and both deer went less than 40 yards and tipped over. One was heart shot the other double lung.

·
Registered
Mathews traverse, v3 31, Hoyt Invicta 37
354 Posts
Maybe a tad high entry like stated above. End result good so can't really complain though. Shot a buck two days ago. Fixed Three blade BH, double lungs, arrow on the ground, went 100 yards. Very little blood along the way. Chest cavity full when we opened it up...

1 - 20 of 96 Posts