Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 755 Posts

·
Registered
7,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me start this by saying I don’t get a piece of gear for free (an important distinction now-a-days) and up until 2017, I was an expandable ‘hater’ for elk. Go back and look at my posts if you doubt it. I guess everyone can change their perspective every now and then when a new item comes out.

Nearly 20 years into bowhunting I decided to give expandables one last attempt on elk. After killing close to 20 elk with mostly Slick Tricks and Slick Trick Mags over the years (and my partner about the same), I watched two of them fail miserably in 2017 on bone.

A few of you on here gave me some positive feedback on the Rage Trypan, and after holding the head and doing a little testing, I came to the conclusion that it seemed tough enough for elk. Probably tougher than my beloved ST. I had been using the 2” slip-cam Rage on deer for years and the results were night and day better than a fixed head when it came to blood-trails and distance traveled after the shot.

About a decade ago I tried Spitfires 1.5” cut 3-blades on elk (two of them actually) and the head was an epic failure for me despite having a good amount of energy at the time.

In December 2017 I killed my WA elk with a Rage Hypo 1.5” cut. I shot through the center ridge of the scapula on a mature Roosevelt cow at 60 yards and got about 12” of penetration into the lungs. The second shot for good measure did some incredible damage to the liver as I kind of just aimed center mass with a quick follow up. The scapula shot broke about 1/4” off one blade but other than that, the head looked great. After having a few discussions with people afterwards, I found out that the blade angle of the Trypan was better and likely penetrated just as good as the smaller diameter Hypo or better. Not to mention the blades were about 50% thicker and considered much tougher.

In 2018 I was fortunate to kill two bulls and 2 bears with Trypans, and my partner killed a cow, a stud bull, and a nice blacktail. Not a single animal went further than 70 yards and most went 30-50 yards before dying. Typical elk shot perfectly with a ST would go 100-200 yards in my experience. On a liver hit, they normally went about a 1/4 mile or so. The bloodtrails (even when there was no exit) put a Slick Trick to shame. Never once did I have to do the typical hands and knees BS that was easily the case 50% of the time in the past. I can’t tell you how much less stressful this is as a bowhunter.

Let’s just say I was skeptical of any mechanical and my goal this season was to chronicle their effectiveness. I wish I videoed the bears and my WA elk. But with my Roosevelt, it was nearly dark and pouring by the time we tracked him up, so it was go-time getting him broken down and packed out.

My conclusion. I will never shoot another fixed head in my life. Not crazy about supporting Rage and sounding like an industry guy, but I will never argue with results.

Bow setups:

Mine: 466 grain arrow going 271 FPS
Partner’s: 478 grain arrow going 270 FPS

These are the broadheads used to kill my elk and bears. As you see below, I shot my WA bull twice.

https://youtu.be/V1NQbuJoHDY

https://youtu.be/XZaEsCV0now

https://youtu.be/_mD-IjdiyFg

https://youtu.be/EepRa6yTYmg

https://youtu.be/0o21g1BCBMs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Former Wyoming Boy
8,664 Posts
It seems, we have come to the same conclusion, Slim.
I was ultra-conservative, long ago... when I first started using mechanical heads for deer. Always afraid to go beyond a 1.5" head. After witnessing what I've seen of their performance... surviving major bone hits with very little damage... and, getting penetration about as good as it can get... I will be using 2" Rage heads for everything from now on. And, I've settled on the Trypan also, because of the tough blades and good angle.

·
RJ
3,427 Posts
:-0. But coming from you Conlan, it’s more than worth all big game hunters attention, no trout about that. Thanks. RJ

·
Registered
14,589 Posts
well there ya go, haha.... dead critter can't fib:wink: it certainly wouldn't scare me shooting at a bull with a compound and trypan after reading several similar reviews, from fixed head shooters. looks like rage got it right on the trypan.... too bad it wasn't a different company... that whole "rage in the cage" cliché is kinda hard to get behind, haha.... heck of a season Slim!

·
Registered
19,234 Posts
I would love to see a 1.5 inch trypan! I shoot and love the ulmer edge but worry if one blade breaks you could possibly have a field point with that design, now I have yet to damage an ulmer on an animal but you never know, sent one through the scapula on a large whitetail and it still looked new.

·
Registered
14,440 Posts
Thanks guys!

I will add one thing I forgot. One 2.5-3+” entrance hole with an arrow in the animal, bleeds better than 2 holes with a fixed head.

Try saying that in he general hunting section...

What are your specs?

Draw length and weight?

Arrow weight?

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
well there ya go, haha.... dead critter can't fib:wink: it certainly wouldn't scare me shooting at a bull with a compound and trypan after reading several similar reviews, from fixed head shooters. looks like rage got it right on the trypan.... too bad it wasn't a different company... that whole "rage in the cage" cliché is kinda hard to get behind, haha.... heck of a season Slim!
Those first few years of Rage marketing really kept me from trying them. Then there was some issues with blade retention and the brittle laser cut blades. It seems like the Trypan has fixed all those concerns and we don't see the over the top marketing from years past.

Two Elk and around 15 deer with rage now and I can't find a reason to change. I do think im going all Trypan moving forward.

·
Registered
14,589 Posts
Thanks guys!

I will add one thing I forgot. One 2.5-3+” entrance hole with an arrow in the animal, bleeds better than 2 holes with a fixed head.

the reality is with elk anyways, you can't count on 2 holes with any normal setup.... they all aren't perfectly broadside... they rarely are in my world. more often than not, i'm shooting into the off side scapula at an angle.... you can bank on that one hole... why not make it a big one? maybe 3 (off the top of my head) of my 15 roosies have been perfectly broadside... the other 12 I wouldn't expect, or count on 2 holes... things we do have control of... the entrance...

I don't know what's going on with the current trend right now, the "ashby phase" where people build an arrow and think they will shoot through a buffalo at any angle.... it's just not how it goes in real life. I do like a heavy arrow, but not for it's "bone crushing" performance. I would feel better with a 600gr arrow with a trypan on the end vs a 1" single bevel head.

if I ever go back to a compound, I will be trying out an expandable (at this point it would be a trypan) they have come a long ways. if they become "the norm" for elk, I bet we will see some even better and more specialized mechanicals.

·
Registered
7,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I would love to see a 1.5 inch trypan! I shoot and love the ulmer edge but worry if one blade breaks you could possibly have a field point with that design, now I have yet to damage an ulmer on an animal but you never know, sent one through the scapula on a large whitetail and it still looked new.
I felt the same way and was really hoping they made one before last season. Now that I have shot the 2”, I see no reason to shoot a 1.5” Trypan. The 2” Trypan had identical penetration to a Slick Trick Standard.

I would love to see them make a 1.5” Trypan though for my wife. She shoots the 1.5” Hypo currently for deer.

·
Registered
7,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
the reality is with elk anyways, you can't count on 2 holes with any normal setup.... they all aren't perfectly broadside... they rarely are in my world. more often than not, i'm shooting into the off side scapula at an angle.... you can bank on that one hole... why not make it a big one? maybe 3 (off the top of my head) of my 15 roosies have been perfectly broadside... the other 12 I wouldn't expect, or count on 2 holes... things we do have control of... the entrance...

I don't know what's going on with the current trend right now, the "ashby phase" where people build an arrow and think they will shoot through a buffalo at any angle.... it's just not how it goes in real life. I do like a heavy arrow, but not for it's "bone crushing" performance. I would feel better with a 600gr arrow with a trypan on the end vs a 1" single bevel head.

if I ever go back to a compound, I will be trying out an expandable (at this point it would be a trypan) they have come a long ways. if they become "the norm" for elk, I bet we will see some even better and more specialized mechanicals.
No doubt. Having them die very quickly with maximum blood trail is the goal of every bowhunter.

But to be honest I’m very impressed with the Trypan’s penetration especially considering the hole/damage it makes. My WA bull gave me two pass-throughs. Scott’s MT bull and WA cow were easy pass-throughs. My MT bull only stopped because it smoked the femur on the opposite side. The second bear I killed was a giant 300+# sow if you can believe that and the arrow went through her like butter and buried in a log a few inches. All of this with a setup that is typical of the average bow hunter now-a-days. If we were shooting 70# bows like the old days, we would be getting 300 FPS out of a 470ish grain arrow. But clearly that’s not necessary.

1 - 20 of 755 Posts