Archery Talk Forum banner

Rage vs. Muzzy

3006 Views 37 Replies 36 Participants Last post by  badbow148
I cant decide which to use Muzzy MX-3 of Rage 2 balde??

I know there are opinions out there.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

· Registered
19,079 Posts
The muzzy would be my choice!! Very tough construction, and time tested. One of the best fixed blade heads of all time!! The rage definitely is getting alot of raves for the devastating wound channels it creates, but the issues with blades opening in flight, etc have steered me away.

· Registered
10,406 Posts
I'm a muzzy fan myself......i like the way their put together..verry tough bh.

· Registered
2,104 Posts
I switched from Muzzy 4 Blade to Rage last season. I know its shot placement, but I've had some extremely thin blood trails from muzzy and have heard the same from others. So far, took one shot with a Rage 2, complete pass thru, fine blood trail, meat in freezer.

· Registered
381 Posts
ive shot both....and they both are awesome.....but id say if you want to make sure that deer goes down...get the rage...honestly how could something make it very far with a 4 inch hole passing through it......i shot a do walking this winter and shot her back pretty far...:pukey:...actually if you wanna know the truth i hit her back behind ALL her ribs...:angry:...she only went 50 yards...i thought i made a decent shot...but when i got to her i was furious at myself...thats not the first one ive shot with a rage but it made me a believer of a saying i heard some guy say bout the rage "hell ill just aim in the middle and it will kill em just as good as any other head" not saying im gonna do that but...they are devistating even when a not so perfect shot is mad....just my 2 pennies

· Registered
480 Posts
i shoot rage and love them however i like the muzzy design and fixed blades, my last bow just didnt like fixed blades very well, rage have worked AWESOME for me though, i would still shoot the muzzy's if my bow liked them, we will see bout the new bow comin

· Registered
8,473 Posts
Muzzy= 99.9% Garunteed penetration and KNOWN arrow Flight

Rage= Looks to be 50/50 on the Rage heads

The Muzzy's mostly will fly the same with every shot. If one of the blades open in flight of the Rage I have seen them be off as much as 18 inches upon impact. I have killed a couple of deer with the rage heads with devastating results. The 3rd deer I harvested with the rage heads ended good after about a 400 yard tracking job. Didnt get an exit hole and the arrow stopped up the entrance wound. If you get the rage heads Id suggest that after you shoot them, even if the blades are sharp, Replace the blades, screws and orings. If you do this I think youll be alright. Too expensive for me, Ill stick with the Muzzys. For expandables I reccomend Grim Reapers

· Registered
36,987 Posts
Muzzy

· Registered
2,546 Posts
I am in the same delima, I shot rage 2 blades for turkeys last year and killed a nice tom. I shoot Muzzy Mx-3's for deer.

I do not use a blind, with the rage they were always popping open when I hit some brush or just wanted to lay my bow to my side. It seemed what could get caught in them would.

I think I will shot my Muzzy Mx's for turkeys this year, micro tuned my rest and broadhead accuray is spot on so the old fly like a field point is not an isssue, the muzzy's are flying better this year than ever.

· Registered
464 Posts
i started out using rage but made the switch this season to muzzy 3 blades. i had no problem with the rages at all except for price. so far i've had no problems with the muzzy's either. i've had great blood trails with both.

· Registered
3,588 Posts
No brainer

In my book fixed blade heads trump expandables every time.

· Registered
2,959 Posts
Why not ST muzzy are awsome so are the rage my dad got a deer with them 2 years ago shot it far back ran a long ways but good blood trail. This last season my dad was using the rage tips and they opened in flight and caused him to miss the deer it could have been a bad oring but I am not going to be shooting them for this reason I am shooting GR mechanicals haven't shot any thing with them yet. Slick Trick makes a super good BH hard to say what BH you want to use you just have to try them yourself they might not all work for you.

· Registered
1,148 Posts
I have never heard a deer complain when one of my Muzzy MX-3s went through them. And I have also never had one run more then 50 yards.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.