Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Anti Fanboy
42,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this can be bow specific but I'd like to hear opinions on each, both good and bad.

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
I found with my 400's having the Arrow retaining arm adjusted just right is important. If there is any vertical flexing having a semi railess bow isn't going to hurt anything. And it could help if any horizontal flexing is happing on the rail. But the biggest plus ive seen is very limited wear on the shaft or nock. Simply because its not wearing the full length of the rail.

But the bow must be built right. As we have seen. There must be a landing on both ends of the rail or a very precise square nock to string marriage.

To be honest it dont matter to me one way or the other. Im not throwing it out with the bath water with or without. Ive had experience with both. Its in the build of the bow.

·
Bringer of truth
14,919 Posts
i can not be convinced by anyone there is any gain to having a rail less design.

When a Scorpyd bow can group with in 2" at 80 yards ans shoots an arrow at 435 f.p.s...what is the gain...?

There was a day the 3-4 f.p.s. gain because of no friction on the arrow to rail might have meant something.

The other theroy that it would make the bow shoot a wider selection of arrows and tune better is out the window.
Proof of that is everyone ditching thier factory arrows.

The last said gain is less string wear. I believe the correct design and cam height to rail is the key here with moderate down pressure of string to rail.

I like to stick with what is known to work unless there is a real gain. Having said that. A rail less bow would not hold me back from a purchase, but i would prefer to no have it.

·
Crossbow Broke
9,861 Posts
Mission and Darton seem to get it right. Maybe Darton is doing some machining for Mission

·
Anti Fanboy
42,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess I'm not fully understanding all the "actual" benefits of a semi-railess design. It would seem logical that the more time the arrow is trucking along a solid rail, the more accurate that arrow can potentially shoot.

I do know that with my bow (semi-railess) my string and serving still looks new. I'm detecting no wear on the arrows nor the nocks. But I as of now its to my belief that's where it ends. I'm certainly not seeing any improvements in accuracy when compared to a full rail design.

·
Huntoholic
10,777 Posts
What rt2 said, I have seen the Darton does see less wear from the arrow tracking in the rail than any other bow I have owned. I see no negative affects from it, and this 75 yard group with executioners displays it may not help accuracy, but it dang sure don't hurt it.
XD7P0160-sm.jpg

Yes Ramrod Mission does use the Darton semi railess design, and Darton does do some of the mission parts supplying and assembly in their Michigan facility. How much Darton Supplies Mission with I'm not sure. Mission is not the only company darton furnishes parts and assembly's for, almost every Bow company in America vertical included, uses technological and parts from this Michigan Archery engineering firm, at some time or another.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts