Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I shot a 3D shoot and had to remove my lens because of rain. Is there a way to shoot a lens in the rain? Will rain X work? What can I use on my string to keep it from soaking up water? Will regular wax work? It was brutal! My bow lost about 10-15fps. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Today I shot a 3D shoot and had to remove my lens because of rain. Is there a way to shoot a lens in the rain? Will rain X work? What can I use on my string to keep it from soaking up water? Will regular wax work? It was brutal! My bow lost about 10-15fps. Any help is appreciated.
What kind of scope do you have, I see some of the guys with classic scopes using butler creek blizzard caps for rifle scopes on their classic scope. Check out BCYs new xwax, it has silicone in it. But if it is a down pour all you can do is shoot through it.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Rain X will hurt the coatings so it is not a good idea. We have used a non abrasive car wax on the lens that worked real good.

Use regular string wax on your string.

When it is raining add 1 to 2 yards and aim at the middle of the ten! This will save you tons of points!!!

·
Registered
418 Posts
Rain X will hurt the coatings so it is not a good idea. We have used a non abrasive car wax on the lens that worked real good.

Use regular string wax on your string.

When it is raining add 1 to 2 yards and aim at the middle of the ten! This will save you tons of points!!!
Care to share with us what car wax you use?

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Yea, nothing works...it was bad Sunday also...should have walked around in my ground blind and shot out of that the whole time lol

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Care to share with us what car wax you use?
Any of them not for polishing. Usually the liquid type. The one we use now is in a green bottle but for the life of me I can't remember the name.

The biggest thing to remember is the coatings are usually sensitive to petroleum based products which is why Rain-X is not recommended.

Another thing is to dab and not wipe to get the water off. Wiping just tends to smear the water around.

I've even heard of guys (SPECTRE) toting a tampon to clean the lens. Very absorbent I'm told. I'm just not man enough to whip one out in front of the guys.:teeth::teeth:

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Ive heard of using a small can of compressed air for computer cleaning to give a quick burst to dry the lens before the shot.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Rain

At the western classic last year it was raining so hard there was nothing you can do if you are a scope shooter. Dont use the compressed air in the rain cause it just will freeze and fog the lens then you are hosed. One guy in our group just kep a bottle of water and poured it on the lens to clear it cause it would just sheet off. Thats why i like pin classes just remember to add a few extra yards when the strings get wet

1 - 10 of 10 Posts