Archery Talk Forum banner

Rain gear

1262 Views 20 Replies 15 Participants Last post by  hntnksn
What rain gear? I am trying to figure out how to add a waterproof layer to my system. I use either fleece or wool on everything but there will be days when the wind is strong or it is raining and I need something to keep the elements out.

I have tried several things from Cabelas and they were all too loud for bowhunting.

What do you recomend?:confused:
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You wear it under your fleece? That defeats the purpose of the fleece for insulation.

Anyone else have any recomendations?

· Registered
2,789 Posts
I've been through several iterations of raingear...just about everything Cabela's has to offer.

The best stuff I've found to date is Rivers West. Very durable, very quiet and not too bad even in warm weather. I use it for whitetails and turkey.

One I haven't tried it Sitka gear, RW is a better pricepoint anyway.

· Lift, Run, Shoot
15,068 Posts
The best is Sitka Gear (Nimbus rain gear) but it will set you back about $600 for a full set. I will own it some day before too long (before I got to Canada for Caribou) but I haven't been willing to drop that kind of coin just yet.

I have Cabelas MT050 and it's pretty decent. I also have the Cabelas Space Rain stuff. It's nice for a very light weight packable rain gear but is not sturdy enough to hold up to any sort of beating.

· Registered
9,795 Posts
The new super lightweight River's West stuff (outlaw) is awesome. I used it alot on my elk hunt this year and was dry, warm and it's even windproof past 50 mph!:eek::embara::wink: (ATV race down the mountain).

It would make a great shell or lightweight coat.

-ZA

· Registered
14,406 Posts
Some guys wear their rain gear under a light fleece to make it more silent. I DO NOT do this with the space rain, as I feel it is quiet enough. The only complaint I have about the space rain is durability if you are hiking through a lot of brush, but that is the price you pay for such outstanding packability.

· Registered
806 Posts
You guys say you've tried all of Cabela's raingear? You must not have tried their Rain Suede. I have been using it for bow and gun and it is not only completely waterproof and breatheable, but it is also very quiet. I have never had an issue with it as far as noise.

· Registered
1,204 Posts
I have cabelas rain seude...it worked great but after a for or five years it's no longer waterproof. It's been used a lot though! I have other Cabelas "Dry Plus" rain gear and it works, but on some, the membrane is a bit noisy. My next will be the Gore Tex MT050 rain gear from cabelas.

· Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
MT50 from cabelas is out of my price range and so is the Rivers West or Sitka. I am trying to stay around $80/piece.

It is tough to find rain gear that is quiet enough.

· Registered
2,789 Posts
I am trying to stay around $80/piece.
Unfortunately your options are limited, you'll have to sacrafice durability for sure at that price range. And when you do, you'll wind up buying another pair at $80/piece if they tear and are no longer waterproof. Then you'd have spent enough to get Rivers West.

Rivers West is ultra hot for hunting unless it is very cold.
Depends which model you get and what you consider ultra hot. I've hunted in 70-80 degree temps with mine and been OK. Warm...but not overbearingly hot...but it's 80 degrees...it's hot either way.

· Registered
1,052 Posts
dry plus from cabelas works good but is a bit noisy; however, I wear it when it rains and due to the rain it gets quieter. With the noise of the rain i have never scared a deer. Also, i do know others who will wear a light shirt over it to quiet it if needed.

· aka former "treeslayer"
7,533 Posts
You guys say you've tried all of Cabela's raingear? You must not have tried their Rain Suede. I have been using it for bow and gun and it is not only completely waterproof and breatheable, but it is also very quiet. I have never had an issue with it as far as noise.
I can agree with that. I also have the Space Rain gear, I prefer the Rain Suede for less noise.

· Registered
970 Posts
Atkins, I was in the same boat as you, I was looking for some decent rain gear for an elk hunt this year. I went to Bass pro and got a set of their squaltex series. I believe the jacket was $80 and the pants were $70, if I remember correctly. To me they are pretty quiet, and durable, we walked through some thick stuff in newmexico, I remember catching my suit on limbs/brush several times, it held up well, and it kept me dry too. The only thing is that they are kind of bulky, they will wiegh down your pack a little. But for me they were a good choice for the price.

· Lift, Run, Shoot
15,068 Posts
MT50 from cabelas is out of my price range and so is the Rivers West or Sitka. I am trying to stay around $80/piece.

It is tough to find rain gear that is quiet enough.

Good luck. I'm sorry to tell you that you can't really good truly good rain gear for that price. At best, you'll get some cheaper stuff that might work in average conditions for a couple of years until you can afford to get some serious rain gear.

· Registered
182 Posts
Im not a fan of Rivers West. One of my hunting buddies bought an expensive Rivers West jacket and got soaked for 10 days. It rained every day out here in the pacific north west, and his jacket let him down the first day. I have a packable set from Gamegetter and my military gortex. Military stuff is really loud, but if its raining hard enough, your the only one that will hear it. The game getter was fine for light rain and walking through wet ferns, but does not hold up well to heavier rain.
TJ

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.