Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
12 stepper for gear...
3,834 Posts
There is a can of worms for the BB world. Weights with internal damping. I know there have been some in the past, but they often looked obvious. This mostly just looks like a stack weight.

Interesting...

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
What are your experiences with the relatively new tungsten powder weight? How well do they dampen and how does that compare to rubber dampeners?

Relatively new? There have been similar weight modules (and riser capsules) with liquid mercury and tungsten powder since the 1960's. This is certainly not new.

Both are effective. Naturally, mercury won't be found in such items today.

·
Registered
477 Posts
There is a can of worms for the BB world. Weights with internal damping. I know there have been some in the past, but they often looked obvious. This mostly just looks like a stack weight.

Interesting...
I went over this weight a couple of weeks ago, I can see how it can be legal and illegal. Can of worms indeed.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I went over this weight a couple of weeks ago, I can see how it can be legal and illegal. Can of worms indeed.
Cool. I can see how that would be a big issue. Thankfully I shoot in freestyle recurve. How would you rate the dampening out of 10?

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What are your experiences with the relatively new tungsten powder weight? How well do they dampen and how does that compare to rubber dampeners?

Relatively new? There have been similar weight modules (and riser capsules) with liquid mercury and tungsten powder since the 1960's. This is certainly not new.

Both are effective. Naturally, mercury won't be found in such items today.
I was referring to the RamRods weight as relatively new, not the idea as a whole. However I did not know that this has been done before, thanks for sharing.

Do you find the Ram Rods one to be effective, or the category of dampener/weight?

·
Genesis 21:20
20,766 Posts
$60 for a 4 oz. weight.

Heh

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Interesting concept but I'm not sure how well it would compare to an actual rubber damper. The best dampers work by flexing counter to the bow to stop oscillation. Not sure how a powder filled cylinder is going to provide the same effect. Plus, it's hella $$$$

·
Registered
5,766 Posts
I had a stabilizer that was filled with sand, supposedly for vibration dampening. It did not work very well. I built one out of lead powder. It also did not work very well at least compared to rubber dampeners.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
I have a set of those tungsten powder weights. My rationale (such as it is lol) is that I don't like the flopping about of rubber dampers, such as the Doinker/Infitec/Fivics/etc. during the actual shot. I did want some of the high-frequency vibration removed, however. I talked to the Ramrods crew while at the Vegas Shoot, and we all felt that the powder weights would help with that.

For me, the powder weights are in between a non-damped setup, and a Doinker-style damped setup in terms of vibration reduction.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Calbowdude gave a very good explanation. The tungsten powder weight is not the same as a rubber dampener and it was never supposed to be. This weight does dampen vibration (particularly high frequency) but it also doesn't uncouple the weights from the bow. So you end up with this middle ground where you still get a very solid hold and shot feel, but just a little less annoying vibration. For someone like myself that shot without a dampener most of the time, this is a great compromise between feel and stability. Many people would probably love this as a replacement for a dampener, in combination with a dampener, or even stuck somewhere else on their bow, everybody's preferences are different. There are other reasons related to wind drag and holding that we think make this design great, but I won't get into that here. I hope that is helpful to people wondering about our thought process behind the weight and what is is meant to do.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
THINK OF THE PROFITS!!! /s
Actually the price is very fair. The 4 ounces of (presumably, 320 mesh) powder alone (if sourced in the USA) is worth up to $20.00 at wholesale pricing, then you have a machined capsule, and, god forbid someone tries to make reasonable margin.

Now, if you want to see exorbitant, the tungsten Kickstop damper in my Blaser R8 rifle makes this thing look dirt cheap.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Actually the price is very fair. The 4 ounces of (presumably, 320 mesh) powder alone (if sourced in the USA) is worth up to $20.00 at wholesale pricing, then you have a machined capsule, and, god forbid someone tries to make reasonable margin.

Now, if you want to see exorbitant, the tungsten Kickstop damper in my Blaser R8 rifle makes this thing look dirt cheap.
GT gets it! haha.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
What gt said.

The Ramrods crew attend a number of tournaments, including the aforementioned Vegas shoot this year. At that shoot, and IIRC at Western Collegiate Regional Championships 2 years ago, they were getting archers set up to actually try the rods on their personal set ups. I would find them and try these weights, they do have a place I believe. And no, I'm not sponsored, just a fan of their stuff and their staff.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts

The total weight/damper is 4 ounces. I bet the stainless steel case takes takes up the majority of that weight.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts