Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Banned
2,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, visited a new archery shop today, its not a new shop just new to me. They have been in business for 20 years and I was amazed at their stock. Long story short there was some guys in there just talking about all this rave over ram cat broad heads..... Who on here has shot them? who currently uses them? and how do you like them?

pros?
cons?

they told me you need to shoot a longer arrow to have the broad head outside the riser.

·
Registered
8,279 Posts
They’ve been around for awhile, now. I believe the Ramcat rage has come and gone, now they’re just another head. I’ve shot them. They did what they were designed to do, kill. Some people don’t like the thin blades, never bothered me. I didn’t have any trouble with the heads clearing the riser, but they are a tight fit in some quivers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Ok guys, visited a new archery shop today, its not a new shop just new to me. They have been in business for 20 years and I was amazed at their stock. Long story short there was some guys in there just talking about all this rave over ram cat broad heads..... Who on here has shot them? who currently uses them? and how do you like them?

pros?
cons?

they told me you need to shoot a longer arrow to have the broad head outside the riser.
Blades go over shaft that’s why you need a longer arrow, they do fly good, not the most durable bc of the thinner blades, kinda a pain to practice with bc of having to tighten the blades, they do have a big cut for a fixed blade...personally I’d look at other options

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
They fly great, leave big holes and short, bloody blood-trails. My only complaint is that the blades get caught up in my quiver.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
They will not last being shot into a target but they fly straight and blow right through deer leaving a large 1.5” hole. They’ll never be a IronWill and one should not expect them to be but they do a great job at killing deer.

·
Registered
698 Posts
They fly very well and worked well on a buck I shot 2 years ago. I wouldnt practice much with them. When I do they usually poke out the back of the broadhead target and I spin them off before I pull the arrow.

·
Catty Shack
12,412 Posts
They fly great, leave big holes and short, bloody blood-trails. My only complaint is that the blades get caught up in my quiver.
They fit fine in a Kwikee Kwik 4. I use them out of one of my crossbows, they are scary sharp and accurate.

·
Lift, Run, Shoot
13,535 Posts
Tested them vs other heads. They fly fine but certainly no better than many others. Blades are a weak point (in a number of ways). Long story short...not impressed. There are quite a few better options out there.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
The 125 grain Ramcats have a 1-1/2” cut. They are far more forgiving of any form or tune issues and less effected by wind than any other large diameter cut fixed blade. As forgiving from that perspective as a mechanical. I have three friends that use them exclusively and they have taken a bunch of deer and hogs with them without a failure. They do make sure the blades are tight and put a dab of blue lock tite on the blade screws. If you want a fixed blade with a big cutting diameter that will fly like a mechanical and are willing to sacrifice some durability they fit the bill.

·
The Impartial Archer
18,805 Posts
I have killed a few deer with them

Pro's Wide cut and fly well. Make big holes (make sure you have the force needed to make that big hole....lol) Were sharp from the factory.

Con's Pull hard form the target and you have to keep re-tightening the screws (so practicing with them is tough).

I never broke any blades off in the deer I shot with them. Even this one and it was a hard hit. Like any other broad head you need to look at your entire setup if you want to choose the right head. Just because a head works for some doesn't mean that is now a universally good head for everyone.

That's the problem here a lot people look at all setups as the same...…..they aren't. Choose wisely.

Attachments

·
Catty Shack
12,412 Posts
Con's Pull hard form the target and you have to keep re-tightening the screws (so practicing with them is tough).
They pull really easy from a Rhinoblock target.

1st pic is field point, 2nd pic is Ramcat at 40 yards off my truck's tailgate.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I have used original RamCats for past 6 seasons. Great flight (identical to field points) and excellent performance on whitetail deer. 20 for 20, but all shot were in the right place, so really any good broadhead would have yielded the same result. The penetrate better than any other fixed blade. Plenty of pros, only a few cons. Blades not quite as sharp as Wasp blades, and you have to keep an Allen wrench handy to tighten the screws occasionally. Other than that, I love them.

·
Registered
386 Posts
My favorite broadhead ever. I've spent hundreds testing broadheads. Ramcats have flown the best for me, and I've personally killed deer with them, and witnessed multiple other deer and elk killed with them. Big holes, short blood trails, and fly with field tips. I've converted many of my friends to shoot them, with ZERO complaints.

·
Registered
24,137 Posts
I was given one to test and it flew great. As others related, the blades are a challenge to practice with but they fly well enough that you can trust a few shots to confirm your tuning. OCN had them on sale a couple weeks ago and I bought a 3-pack to try on game in the future. Nothing to scare me away after being field tested by so many.

·
Teniente D'Equipo Mongrel
8,179 Posts
Internet says the are one of the best flying "fixed heads," some states consider them Mechs thus illegal. Are they good? Yes. Are they one of the best? Meh...

Also not a fan of the thinness.

·
The Impartial Archer
18,805 Posts
They pull really easy from a Rhinoblock target.

1st pic is field point, 2nd pic is Ramcat at 40 yards off my truck's tailgate.
Then if I were shooting them...….that's what I would get......lol. They don't pull well from a block or Matrix I can tell you that. Maybe that target is harder?

·
LSU TIGERS
1,223 Posts
They fly better than any fixed head I have ever tested and I’ve tested a lot. Especially in windy conditions they really separate themselves. They also have penetrated my target deeper than any head I’ve ever tested. Blades have proven to be strong enough to go thru deer shoulders and it does all this at a bigger cut than most heads. Only con I’ve ever had was blades breaking in my Rhinehart target but hasn’t been the case on live game.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts