Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I've been lurking for a while and decided to sign up...

How do you guys practice your range estimation for 3D shoots?
I don't have any 3D animals and can't really afford them. What I do is kinda look at trees and other objects and then guess the yardage. I then shoot it with the range finder to see how much I'm off.
Is this how you guys do it?? Is there a better way???

Thanks,
JB

·
Registered
22,697 Posts
Welcome to AT

The way I do it most of the time is walk around judging things and then check it with my range finder.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
The more you do it the better you get at it.
That is the whole of it. Everyone has different ways to find yardage. Practice your way and you will get better at it. The difference between Pros and Joes is they practice more, and therefore get better at it.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Thats about how we all do it. Pick something, range it and then shoot it with your range finder and see how well you did. There are numerous ways to judge yardage. The best way that works for me is to find 20yds ( I can do that pretty easily since I shoot spots all winter ) then from there to the target.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I also sometimes in local tournents will judge then if i had a hard time judging weather or not i made a good shot will judge it then look and see if i can take a mental note of how that targetlooks at x amount of yards

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
many of the pros have they targets they will be shooting and judge by size and amount of detail they can/can't see. Another method is counting yards by 10's (or 20's), if over 20 is it 40, no is it 30....this method is usually backed up by finding halfway and determining how far it is (easier than judging the whole distance). Those are the more common methods and have many variations. While judging it will be important to note that conditions such as tight lanes or dark lanes, or large /small bodied animals will make a difference in how far away the target appears to be. Practice is the only way to improve, I hear many pro's practice judging more than they shoot...

·
Registered
250 Posts
I have been told to take a soccer ball and toss it around the yard and guess the range. then pace it off

·
Registered
903 Posts
One thing that I have noticed is that I need to practice for the terrain I will be shooting. My target that I practice on is in a wide open field, so I dont shoot much in the woods. I have noticed that I tend to do way better on shots that are in the open as opposed to a shot in a tight lane in the woods. Those tight lane shots are very hard for me to judge. After todays shoot I will be hitting the woods to do my judging.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts