Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I shoot 35 yards and in. I look at the target and if it's between 20 and 30 yards I look for a tree or rock or stump at 20 yards and then judge the yardage from that point to the target and add them together and I'm usually within 2 yards. :thumbs_up That works for me.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Buy a range finder and every chance you have pratice ranging. Out in the open then in the woods, up hill and down hill. It takes time. I like to get a perfect 20 yard mark and be able to go off it. Double it for 40 yards some times I imagine I am standing on that 20 yard mark looking back at me then out to the 40 yard point. Pratice, Pratice, Pratice.

·
Registered
5 Posts
PRAY.........and work on findin 10 perfect,then b able to find 20 perfect....and so on...use the targets as well,learn details on each that u can see at 20...30.....good luck

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
A lot of what has already been posted. Be able to find 20 yds solid and remember where it is. From there my personal technique is to double 20. Is the target farther or closer? By how much? Try to come up with a number. I will then focus on the target and allow my perpheral vision to pick up a half way point. Where is the half way point in relation to my 20 yd mark? Compare these and use what feels best. Beyond that you will eventually start to pick up on some targets immediately. Usually because you missed it enough, but none the less, you will know it when you see it. For me I can find 42 yds on a HD wolf easily, because I have seen it and missed it a ton at that distance. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Practice

I've also found that using a 40 yard rope with markers every 10 yards helped me get used to range estimation...

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
there are 3 common methods
1. visualization
2. increments (5-10-20 yard increments)
3. half way to target

1. some people just look at the target, esp in asa. they use the same targets over and over at every shoot. you will have a mental guess when you first walk up to a target, wether you mean to or not.

2. some guess in increments, 5-10-15-20-25-30-35 then break down to 1's
some do 10-20-30-40 then 1's and some do 20-40 then 1's

3. say i know half is 22 yards, so its 44 yards

i use #1 and #2 methods. i will say 1 is right more than 2. #2 i use 10 yard increment and 20 depending on terrain. plus ive gotten better after i left my rangefinder at home on ranges (not tournaments) and depended to know how far it was/is by my judging.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts