Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
addicted to hunting!
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellas,

I have had a Nikon archers choice range finder for several years.
I had bought my 14 year old a bushnell scout 1000 range finder last year

During the course of this season I have
Noticed several deficiencies with the Nikon. I do not know if it's performance is diminishing or whether I'm experiencing issues because of how it Is made.

Here are the list of situations where it fails
To accurately give a reading:

Light rain (drizzle)
Light snow
Light fog

I will get readings of 5.5 yards or 6 yards on an object which is 20, 30 yards and beyond.

I have hunted a lot this year from double bull ground blinds

Today my son and I have taken side by side readings with my
Nikon archers choice and his bushnell scout 1000
He will be able to accurately get a reading during light fog just before
Dawn and I get either nothing or a false reading

I've never noticed any of these issues on previous Years with my range finder. But maybe I did
Not hunt on days with these weather conditions. I can't recall.

Is this a typical problem with this range finder? Do they "go bad"
Over time. The battery meter is full strength.

Btw who makes really top notch range finders?

Thanks much!

·
Registered
5,687 Posts
Have you changed the battery? They often give weird readings when the battery is about out. Also call Nikon they treated me amazing when I broke my rangefinder.

·
addicted to hunting!
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you changed the battery? They often give weird readings when the battery is about out. Also call Nikon they treated me amazing when I broke my rangefinder.
Old battery showed full strength on the digital display. Changed it anyway with a new one. Same issues.

I have several Nikon scopes on hunting rifles. One Would not hold Zero after years of good service. It came with a lifetime guarantee. They repaired it at no cost.

Do they have the same policy with their range finders? I can't remember when I bought this range finder.

·
Registered
5,687 Posts
Old battery showed full strength on the digital display. Changed it anyway with a new one. Same issues.

I have several Nikon scopes on hunting rifles. One Would not hold Zero after years of good service. It came with a lifetime guarantee. They repaired it at no cost.

Do they have the same policy with their range finders? I can't remember when I bought this range finder.
They have fixed my rangefinder twice and I haven't paid a dime. I'm not sure if that's there policy or if it depends on what is wrong. I'd definitely try them first though. Good luck!

·
Airborne Archery
9,089 Posts

I recently sold my archers choice and was having the same problems as you are. In slight foggy conditions it would not read correctly. It also measured 20 yards but with a measuring tape the same yardage showed 19 yards. Mine would also seem to fog over a little and I was always having to wipe the lens off. I think you can send it to Nikon to be calibrated. I didn't care if the yardage was correct as long as I sighted in at the distances the range finder was showing.

·
addicted to hunting!
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The season ends December 31st. I just sent them an email inquiry for warranty service. Waiting for a reply. Will probably ship it off in the new year

Btw who makes really good rangefinders?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
The season ends December 31st. I just sent them an email inquiry for warranty service. Waiting for a reply. Will probably ship it off in the new year

Btw who makes really good rangefinders?

Thanks!
Leupold. Leica if you really want to spend some money. I don't think its worth spending more on the Leica.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
I'm getting ready to send my Bushnell Elite 1500 in for a check-up. It's been acting up for a few seasons, but I kept putting it off. It doesn't want to read much of anything under 30 yards, nor anything much farther than 100 yards. It won't even read a sheet of plywood at 200 yards.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts