Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how necessary is a range finder? im sure they work great but they are a little pricey so im just wondering if i absolutely need one

·
Registered
531 Posts
I think it depends on how good you are at judging distances. As I sit in a stand for a couple of hours, I begin to second guess my distances. For me it was a $60 insurance policy.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Depends on how upset you get over missing that shot....No really, it makes it so much easier to know that your bow is dialed in to what your range finder is saying instead of estimating. Depending on your rig; at 40 yards, 6 or 7 yards difference could mean several inches in drop. If you decide to get one, I would highly recommend one with an angle compensating feature. TBR, ARC, etc....

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think it depends on how good you are at judging distances. As I sit in a stand for a couple of hours, I begin to second guess my distances. For me it was a $60 insurance policy.
where did you find one for 60? ive only seen them for like 200-600

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I find a rangefinder to be invaluable

I've saved a bunch of lost arrows at various 3D ranges by using my rangefinder. It also made me much better at estimating ranges, especially uphill and downhill. With a rangefinder I'm confident and shoot small groups out to 60 yards. Without a rangefinder I pretty much limit myself to 30 yard shots in circumstances where I might lose an arrow. There are other methods to estimate range (pacing, taping etc.) if you shoot from a stand. A rangefinder is much easier.

·
"Keep Hammering"
8,066 Posts
Shooting a bow at 40-50 yards isn't the same as 10-20 yards, At 20 yards you can be 5-10 yards off and still hit your target. You can't get away with that at 40-50! Knowing your yardage is the most important aspect of making a good shot!

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
where did you find one for 60? ive only seen them for like 200-600
Ditto???

I use my Bushnell Pinseeker 1500 that I use for golf.

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
if dont want to spend alot look at the archer range range finder.i just got one they retail for around 49.99.their is a thread on A/T about them and everyone says their accurete.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I personally think a rangefinder is more important than binoculars. At any range I would concider a shot with a bow I can see fine with the naked eye, but knowing the range I'm shooting at gives me confidence and increases my chances of making a clean kill.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts