Archery Talk Forum banner

Range finders

1441 18
Any sugestions on a decent rangefinder for bowhunting? I need to get some and want the best for the money but will be using them only for bowhunting so dont need too many extras.
thanks guys
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· A&E Moderator
20,358 Posts
This has been discussed in a couple of very recent threads. It seems that one of the best deals right now may be the Nikon Laser400. It is being replaced by their 600 model. Bass Pro et. al. have the model 400 for around $199. It has very good optics and measures to the 1/2 yard out to 100 yards, and 1 yard increments out to 437 yards.

Indychris

· Registered
441 Posts
range finders

I have a Bushnell Yardage Pro Sport that I have used 2 years so far.It has done a good job and is on the lower end of the price range

· Registered
374 Posts
The Bushnell Yardage Pro Legend works great as a range finder but the optics are not very good. I have trouble reading 2" block letters at 20 yards.

· Registered
1 Posts
If you don't mind getting a refurbished Nikon Laser400 you can contact: Southern C & E at www.southernce.com and pick one up for $129.plus shipping. They only have a 90 day factory warranty. Mines been working great for the week and a half. You can also contact them at 1-800-470-1477. I hope this helps. I don't know about you? The price sure helped me. :)

· Registered
1,695 Posts
Denny, this is a little off subject, but did you get the info I sent ya? Just wondering if it helped solve any of your problems. Be safe.
Shoot Straight
Derbytown :D

· Registered
1,695 Posts
That's excellent Denny. I just wondered if you could read it because I wrote it in Word 2000. Glad you got it. Let me know how it works for ya. Be safe.
Shoot Straight
Derbytown :D

· Registered
8,533 Posts
nikon 400

Does this model have the rain mode? all the ads seem to omit describing the different features such as rain, scan less than 100 yds. One older Carabela's ad mentioned five modes, can anyone confirm this? Rain mode is a must in Oregon !!

· Registered
195 Posts
what's rain?

only over on your side of the state. on this side we need a scorching hot sun mode.:D

· A&E Moderator
20,358 Posts
ELKARCHER...

The Laser400 does not have a "rain" mode. That being said, I used mine in the rain several times last year- a couple of those in fairly hard rains- and never had difficulty getting a good reading. Rain may well have an impact, especially on long distance ranging, but I never noticed any problems when ranging for bowhunting (always under 50 yards). Hope that helps.

Indychris

· Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nikin laser400, Bushness Yardage Pro

I see there is about $100.00 differane between these two, is it money well spent? Can anyone tell me the differences I want to get the best for my money, but if there is very little diff dont mind saving some. Thanks

· Registered
3,319 Posts
Denny, there is only a 20.00 difference between the Nikon 400 and Bushnell Yard pro sport in Cabelas.The Nikon 400 Buckmaster is 199.99 the realtree camo 400 is 219.99 the Yard pro is 179.99.I'm in the same boat as you,I am leaning towards the Nikon though..:)

· In 'Da Head
24,270 Posts
A recent article I read compared all the "mainstream" rangefinders. The test was to measure the yardage from a point to a target (McKenzie Deer). The rangefinders were then tested. The less expensive Bushnells did better than the more expensive Leica. Also the Bushnell Yardage Pro will shoot yardages from 6 yds up. Some of the others won't shoot a yardage until 25 yds. This could certainly be a problem when bowhunting. The article just tested yardage to 70, but if you are bowhunting past this....more power to you. You can purchase a descent Bushnell Yardage Pro Sport for around $160-$180. I highly recommend this for bowhunting, and with the money you save buy a bigger freezer. Good luck to ya!

· Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nikon / Bushnell

I am going to look at a both of these tomorrow, but if its only 20-40 bucks difference will go with the Nikon to get the 8X power and nice optics. This may replace my binocs and give me one less thing to carry. Will let you know tomorrow more about the two.

· Registered
3,319 Posts
Ok Denny, let me know what you think would be the best deal.I will be getting a set very soon,but I'll be getting from Cabelas and wont get to see them first..Wife and son got me an early fathers day gift a 100.00 gift certificate for Cabelas:D

· Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Going with the Nikon

I checked them both out a little today, the Nikon optics are great and its size is perfect. You can use this for binocs as well as a rangefinder. I love the laser 400 will have it with in a month.

· Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Nikon laser400

Picked mine up this weekend great unit. Also scans so you can hold on an animal and watch the yardage change. It is nice being able to sight bows in at exact yardages.
Has been fun guessing distances then checking the results.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.