Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanting to buy range finder what do you like are they worth the money?:confused:

·
Registered
682 Posts
don't really have a con. i like the fact that i can get in a tree and range a few different things so when a deer comes by i have a rough idea how far away he is.

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
It really depends on how and where you hunt.

If you only shoot 30 yards or less from a treestand on pretty flat ground, they are unnecessary. You can pace out the distances to landmarks (like trees) and mark them with the distances.

If you hunt where it is steep or if you hunt on the ground at all, they are really worthwhile and I would get the type that does angle compensation, like the Nikon Riflehunter 550.

Archery accuracy relies on you knowing the distance over gravity to your target.

Leica is the best I've seen and Nikon is also very good and more affordable.

Ray

·
Premium Member
5,295 Posts
Beats the heck out of a string with different yardages marked in electric tape or a 100' tape measure.....thats how I used to do it. Then I bought a coincidence type, then a Yardage pro was on clearance for under $100 and I bought it. I range different trees landmarks, a perimeter like area, then put it away...I do guess at the distance first, then range it, to keep myself calibrated....

·
My Elk Hunting Home
32,336 Posts
Ya, not a lot of cons. Push button and get the range to target. Shoot for that range.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Nikon Rifle Hunter 550

The Nikon Rifle Hunter 550 is my choice, have had it two years; rain, mist, snow, fog, and true readings through ground bind windows.
Love the Nikon 550 and the retractable cord, won’t leave it in the woods, hooked to my Primos bow vest that has a pocket designed for the range finder.

·
Registered
36,982 Posts

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
Only con is that I can't permanantly attach it to my eye...

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
I love my Nikon, nice big readings, easy to read. I use it more for practice than hunting, not a lot of time to mess with it when deer are around. I use it when I first get into the tree to earmark reference points.

·
Relocated Cajun
10,974 Posts
I wouldn't waste my money on another Leica...accuracy was horrible and I tried another one out at the store and same thing....awesome LED readout, but not my ticket for bowhunting....

Forget how many I have owned and tried, I'll stick to Nikon....

Con, I wish Nikon had a red LED readout... :)

·
Registered
572 Posts
The only con...

another gadget to drag into the woods. A big pro- Zeroing on squirrels and birds during the slow periods. It's also nice to know the EXACT ranges in your shooting lanes.

·
Registered
11,770 Posts
i have a nikon 400 and it is awesome for what i need, bout the size of a pack of cigerettes, fits right in my front pocket. i've found it gives me a TON of extra confindence regardless of the length of the shot...'94

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
No real cons

Except another expensive thing to carry in the woods that needs a battery and might get lost.
Once you get past that they're awesome. Mine has already paid for itself by saving arrows at the range when practicing on 3d targets at unknown distances. I also use mine to calibrate myself on distances. I force myself to estimate the distance, then use the rangefinder to verify. If you do this a lot you get very good at estimating distance. Also works great to pre-range trees or other objects in your hunting area.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts