Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the world of archery (just bought a 2001 bowtech black knight 2, which i'm waiting for to come in the mail) and am hoping to start shooting and eventually get into hunting. In the meantime though, I'm going to need to do some serious practicing.

The problem is that we only have 2 ranges in town, and neither of them have any sort of membership. They only have a drop in fee, which is $7 each time, and you can shoot for as long as you want. The problem is that it will get real expensive if I want to shoot a few times a week.

Are there any alternatives? I've never shot before, so I figure I should take some lessons or something, and sight it in at the range. But after that I'm not sure what to do.

And is expecting to shoot 2-3 times a week unreasonable?

·
Time Flies
13,281 Posts
Any local Gander Mountains around? They usually offer year-long memberships for between $50 and $100...otherwise I would say make your practice productive for that price!

·
Archery Blogger/Writer
9,332 Posts
How big is your backyard and does your local laws forbid you from shooting in public or in your yard?

My son and I shoot 2-3 times a week. That's not overly bad to do.

If you're able to practice in your yard, you can snag a new field point bag for about 40 bucks and then shoot all you want whenever you want.

-Steve

·
Registered
673 Posts
$7 is pretty steep...so, like CherryJ said,make it count!
Also, have you checked for Archery Clubs in your area? They should be able to help you out with shooting advice and where to go!

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
I would try to get a target and just shoot yourself after you get it shot in, to start though you should just pay the fee because other people shooting could give you tipsand help you tune in your bow.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
not expensive

Well 7 dollars for unlimited shooting is not real expensive. Most ranges charge by the hour or half hour. I charge 8 an hour and 5 a half. Shops with ranges need to have the range pay for themselves or contribute a majority for the rent on the space, because sells can't pay for all the rent. Otherwise you are going to have shops with no place to practice or try the equipement. Just some food for thought. Anyway if it is a financial issue of being able to go you may want to read a couple DYI threads on building your own targets. A guy can build a good target pretty cheap that will last a long time.

·
Archery Blogger/Writer
9,332 Posts
Used bag targets sell for 20 bucks all the time on the local Craigslists.

I've gotten a used Morrell target for 20 bucks, a used Morrell (Series 109) FITA full sized bag target for 20 bucks, and I'm getting another one used for the same price.

Get one of those, pace off your yardage, and go for it from there.

-Steve

·
Archery Blogger/Writer
9,332 Posts
Well 7 dollars for unlimited shooting is not real expensive. Most ranges charge by the hour or half hour. I charge 8 an hour and 5 a half. Shops with ranges need to have the range pay for themselves or contribute a majority for the rent on the space, because sells can't pay for all the rent. Otherwise you are going to have shops with no place to practice or try the equipement. Just some food for thought. Anyway if it is a financial issue of being able to go you may want to read a couple DYI threads on building your own targets. A guy can build a good target pretty cheap that will last a long time.
Agreed. My local pro shop that I frequent charges 7 bucks an hour (and one dollar an hour for JOAD kids).

Overhead has to be paid or you don't have a shop to go to.

-Steve

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Agreed. My local pro shop that I frequent charges 7 bucks an hour (and one dollar an hour for JOAD kids).

Overhead has to be paid or you don't have a shop to go to.

-Steve
I understand the business of overhead and profit. And $7 really isn't a huge amount, I'll be the first to admit that. I'm just not in a financial position to fork out 20 bucks a week to go shooting. I was just wishing they would have a monthly membership. I used to pay $600/yr for my membership at a rifle range, which was pricey, but I could shoot all I wanted.

I'll definitely hit up the range for the first couple of months to meet others and get tips from fellow archers. And I'll look into local clubs.

I'm going to check into local laws about shooting in town, or even going to nearby fields or whatever and use my own target (i do live in the middle of the prairies).

Thanks for the advice guys.

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
Just go talk to the owner and work out a monthly or yearly price, I'm sure they will work with you. The benefit of going to a pro shop is that you will get to know the regulars and if you spend your money and time there you get additional perks. Thinks like tuning help and form corrections are priceless and can make you shooting experience much more enjoyable.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just go talk to the owner and work out a monthly or yearly price, I'm sure they will work with you. The benefit of going to a pro shop is that you will get to know the regulars and if you spend your money and time there you get additional perks. Thinks like tuning help and form corrections are priceless and can make you shooting experience much more enjoyable.
I like that idea. It can't hurt to ask right? I'll go shooting a few times (when my bow shows up) and get to know people and ask.

·
Registered
3,310 Posts

WOW!! Your expensive. Around here in Western Pa you can shoot an indoor round for 5 bucks. Thats 60 arrows plus 6 warm up which usually runs a good hour and half to shoot a round. Most shops dont even care if you shoot another half or so as long as you use the same target. Now a indoor 3-D round will run you 8-10 bucks. Wow I guess we are just spoiled in my area to have alot of resonable shops.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
No not expensive

WOW!! Your expensive. Around here in Western Pa you can shoot an indoor round for 5 bucks. Thats 60 arrows plus 6 warm up which usually runs a good hour and half to shoot a round. Most shops dont even care if you shoot another half or so as long as you use the same target. Now a indoor 3-D round will run you 8-10 bucks. Wow I guess we are just spoiled in my area to have alot of resonable shops.
Sorry to disagree but when you pay a 1.00 or more a sq ft for range space and you have a range that is 3000 sq ft the cost add up. As for shooting 60 arrows most of the guys that shoot in my shop shoot 60 arrow in about a half hour. Most shoot 6 to 9 arrows a round and a round every 5 minutes. So if I could cut the sq ftage price then I wouln't have to charge that much. When guys do shoot at my place I usually don't charge the full time they shoot if a guy shoots 2 hour he get charged a hour and half. If he shoots more then 2 then I usually charge just the 2 hours. Kids shoot free when with a parent for first half hour and then usually 2.50 for the full time they shoot. However if it is someone who continually buys off the net and makes a point of saying how great a deal he gets and rubs it in my face then he is charged full price with no breaks. I also have punchcards that save 1.00 a hour and have a monthly membership where one price gives unlimited shooting for the month. The punchcards have no experation date they are good till they are used up and if lost I replace what time is left. I keep a record of time used.

·
Registered
24,955 Posts
gander mountain lets you shoot at there range as much as you want for free. at least my local one does.

just buy a target and shoot in your yard.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I'm very fortunate. I shoot at one of the best outdoor archery ranges you could ever hope to find. Daily costs are 6, annual fee is a very reasonable $75. I do have an outdoor range setup in my yard. I live in a rural setting on an acre+, I'm rethinking my range setup now to gain a longer shot, but can safely shoot to 50 yds the way it is.
If you really look into most cities rules you would probably find out it is not legal to shoot in your backyard. But many people do anyway. Safety is top priority, as a rifle shooter I'm sure you're aware of that. The biggest concern is whats behind you if an arrow were accidentally released on the draw or or an equipment malfunction.
If you live near any woods, stump shooting with judo tips is a lot of fun. You don't need any targets, just a few special pronged "judo" tips on some inexpensive shafts and a woods full of rotten stumps. You might want a hunting license, just in case someone thinks you're hunting. Welcome to archery, all in all it is a very affordable sport.

·
Registered
299 Posts
how to shoot

MY suggestion if you cant shoot at home is to pay the fees to shoot at the range. be enthusistic. be personable and make friends. At one point I lived in an apartment but a friend I made at the pro shop gave me a key to his gate soiI could shoot in his backyard. If you are serious abouy archery you will figure out a way to keep shooting.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
You're lucky you've got ranges to shoot at! I've got a grain bag full of old clothes which works perfectly, but shooting by myself gets a little boring. If I were you, get a cheap target to shoot at at home, but make a trip to the range once every one or two weeks. It's a great way to meet people, and quite often those people can help with your form or technique, and answer any technical questions you might have. :wink:

·
Registered
571 Posts
Wow!

Some high dollar shootin out there. Ive got a great range at one of our local parks that has targets setup from 10 to 70 yds at 5yd increments. Thats 13 targets just bring my on face to aim at. ( Targets are round bales ) All that for FREE! Local Bass pro doesn't charge for the range with x target and buck and pig 3d as well. Also have a wildlife education facility that has range as well. Love my Louisiana!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts