Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
34,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was wondering. Do the clubs you shoot at play music during league night? I mean come on!! :mad: How am I supposed to shoot when someone is singing about Bo and Luke Duke sliding across the hood? Or about some fried tomatoes? Once that gets in my head there go those X's. Turn that crap off. I don't mind talking but music and it's always country at that. I thought everyone knew "brothas" don't like country music.

·
washed up wannabe
12,236 Posts
I agree. Archery is a quiet sport...it ain't Friday night at the bowling alley.

See how I treat my kids in the other thread.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
You will never do any good when it comes to tournament shooting if you are in quiet conditions. I know GRIV practices with music. Don't be so serious. Talk with each other, joke, and have a good time! It should be like a night at the bowling alley. Archery is not (or does not have to be) that serious.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Brown Hornet said:
I thought everyone knew "brothas" don't like country music.
LOL! There was once this guy on jerry springer....:)

I know what you mean. My shop plays the music in the shop but not in the range.

·
Registered
9,807 Posts
Our shop is across the road from Miramar Naval Air Station.

Nothing like locking in at full draw as three F-18s fly over at 800 feet. Real men complete the shot. :eek: :D

·
Registered
191 Posts
The range that I shoot in has a mexican restraunt upstairs that cranks up the music. Every Thursday night they have a mexican fiesta and everyone that works there gets up and dances. The ceiling where we shoot is not finished and the floor joists are completely exposed and we have our flourescent lights screwed directly to them. When they start dancing junk falls from the ceiling and you will see this stuff pass through the scope while you are aiming. I know of guys I used to shoot with in the past that had to have everything perfectly quiet during the shot. When shooting I like to have some music playing and guys joking around poking you in the back with arrows at full draw... that sort of thing. I still cleaned off the entire 300 league last year with 60X's with all this going on. I feel that learning through adversity is extremely important in overall shooting performance. Archery itself is also not an entertainment sport and to make it more fun I need to be around people that can joke around a little bit. If I was in a league where I couldn't even make a whisper while someone is at full draw I wouldn't be shooting league.

·
Registered
8,652 Posts
Noise at League

The place where we shoot league plays music and everyone likes it. Nice to be able to listen to music when not on the line and it teaches you to focus and turn everything off in your mind except the shot. Learning to tune out music, noise, and people talking is very important if you want to do well in tournaments. Its really more of an attitude adjustment than anything. If you are looking for something to irritate you while you are shooting, you won't have any trouble finding something. Shooting out in the yard with the dog barking and cars driving by is good too. Married men shouldn't have any trouble tuning things out anyway, otherwise you would develop a complex about the honey do's
you don't get around too. "Whats that dear? I must have missed it.";) LOL
Jbird

·
Registered
286 Posts
i used to complain about the noise at our range. i was told to learn how to shoot with these distractions. so i practiced at home with the stereo AND tv at full blast. after awhile i was able to tune out distractions. now the range noise doesn't bother me.
my scores and x's have gone up because my mind isn't dealing with the other distractions. now i thank the range owner for suggesting that i learn to shoot with distractions.

·
Registered
6,639 Posts
Definitely a good thing to learn to shoot through distractions.

But C&W...............:eek: That goat-roping stuff is just plain cruel and inhumane :D! With you all the way there Hornet, lol :D!

You know the old joke, play that C&W stuff backwards and you get your pick-up back, you get your wife back, you get your dog back........... :D:p !

Yeehah...............:)

>>------------->

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
When I shoot alone at our club I purposely turn up music to provide distractions to my shooting, and force myself to shoot through it. It helps when tourny time comes around.

It's easy to concentrate when you're all alone and it is purely silent. But if you do that all the time and get used to that you'll be in a world of hurt when you get on the competition line. :(

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
It could be worse. At my league they watch Hollywood Squares. :eek:

There are a bunch of guys who know the best jokes. They insist on springing the puchline on you at full draw. Nothing like giggling at full draw to turn a 300 into a 295. :D

·
Registered
13,158 Posts
Ain't nuthin' wrong with some vibes during shooting.

Hell, when I lived in Columbus, OH, our indoor range was in the basement of a bowling alley, and next door to our archery range was a NRA small bore rifle range - - try that one on for size during league nights of archery, bowling, AND gun firin' - - at the time, I was a clicker shooter with a recurve bow and fingers.

If you can't learn to tune out distractions, then you are in for a tough hoe of it competition-wise.

Bring on the music - - Wild THING, Louie, Louie, Battle of New Orleans - -even some of this newfangled crappin' and rappin'

field14:p

·
Registered
642 Posts
Our club has a jukebox full of 80's hairbands tunes and abuncha other crap in it. :rolleyes: They're all old 45's , some are scratched and some are warped :eek: . When I started shooting there 3 years ago I wanted to shoot the damn thing. After a few weeks when the music would stop I'd freak and yell "Somebody put a damn quarter in that thing!!!" Last year the subwoofer went out in it and it was a major catastrofe for us all. It was so quiet :mad: Everybody's scores went down :p . Cost the club $350 to get the old thing fixed up and it was well worth it :cool: Music and background distractions are a good thing I've found :)

Bring on the Jams ;)

·
washed up wannabe
12,236 Posts
:D :D :D :D

I shoot with the car noise and my dogs barking to get out of the kennel and the neighbors chainsaw and the neighborhood raven squacking at me and the greyjays landing on my target butt and the wind and the rain and the sun in my eyes....LMAO....

But nothin', nothin' in the world, annoys me as much as country music and rap. Please tell me you don't listen to rap Brownhornet...;)

·
Registered
34,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I don't mind people talking and joking around in the back ground. Heck during league half the time we all talk to each other on the line anyway. I know Nino and I joke around all the time. One club I shoot at plays music in the back were everyone sits but at the line you can't even make out what song is playing. But at our new club the pump the stuff. I will tell you that kids playing and running around gets to me and everyone else 100x's more than loud music.

·
Registered
34,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
AKDoug you don't like rap? Come on man that is about all I listen to. I was about to send you some.:D I hate country music. I know that most archers don't like it. But if I was running a shoot I wouldn't play it on the radio either. Although everyone would probably shoot better with a little 50Cent playing inthe back ground. Notice I said background. Everyone would slow down and take their time shooting so they wouldn't have to go in the back to listen to it.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts