Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having never used a rangefinder for archery hunting...I was wondering if a quality rangefinder(Leica) can also be used for short distance glassing(replacing binos) thus eliminating the need to carry both binos and rangefinder?

·
Registered
9,862 Posts
I bought a Leupold RX 1000 and it has very bright optics. I believe I could get by without binoculars most of the time. It's more enjoyable to spend idle times bird and critter watching with a good pair of binos though.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I've been doing it for several years. Narrow field of vision so it's not too good for overall glassing. But if you want to just see something specific up close it works.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
They will do in a pinch, but, are nowhere close to real binos.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Unfamiliar with the Leica brand but...

Having never used a rangefinder for archery hunting...I was wondering if a quality rangefinder(Leica) can also be used for short distance glassing(replacing binos) thus eliminating the need to carry both binos and rangefinder?
if you get one look for a rangefinder that will give you the uphill / downhill angle distances, especially if you're shooting from a treestand. My bow was zero'd in at 20, 30, and 40 yards on level ground and when I climbed up 16 feet I was way off the mark. I picked up a Nikon Forrester at a gun show and it showed distance changes of 1.5, 1.75, and 2.1 ft at the same targets. I'm zero'd in for 16 ft high now and a consistent grouping in the vital area on my 3-Ds.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
I've left the binos home and just use the rangefinder instead. Most of the time I'm up close anyway, but the land I hunt on is pretty hilly, so no need for long range glassing. To much gear on spot and stalk is a pain in the :zip:

·
Registered
17,328 Posts
Only the very best rangefinders will really allow you to use them as short range or quick binos... the Swarovski and the Leica are the only 2 that I have ever personally seen that were actually better than a lot of the cheap binos that I'v seen people use. My Leica LRF features a 7x monocular that honestly has a better glass than binos I've looked thru that were in the $200 to $400 range. lol!

·
Registered
976 Posts
I have a Leica and will sometimes leave the binos behind to cut some weight. It has clear optics but for serious glassing they don't replace the binos.

·
Registered
5,465 Posts
if you get one look for a rangefinder that will give you the uphill / downhill angle distances, especially if you're shooting from a treestand. My bow was zero'd in at 20, 30, and 40 yards on level ground and when I climbed up 16 feet I was way off the mark. I picked up a Nikon Forrester at a gun show and it showed distance changes of 1.5, 1.75, and 2.1 ft at the same targets. I'm zero'd in for 16 ft high now and a consistent grouping in the vital area on my 3-Ds.

Not sure how you could be way off unless it was your shooting form.

If you are 16 feet up and range an object at 20 yards (60 ft.) it is 58 feet from the base of your tree so you are off by 2 feet.

If you are 16 feet up and range an object at 30 yards (90 ft.) it is 88.5 feet from the base of your tree so you are off by 1.5 feet.

If you are 16 feet up and range an object at 40 yards (120 ft.) it is 119 feet from the base of your tree so you are off by 1 foot.

None of these distances are enough to affect your shot for hunting purposes.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Glad you think so

Not sure how you could be way off unless it was your shooting form.

If you are 16 feet up and range an object at 20 yards (60 ft.) it is 58 feet from the base of your tree so you are off by 2 feet.

If you are 16 feet up and range an object at 30 yards (90 ft.) it is 88.5 feet from the base of your tree so you are off by 1.5 feet.

If you are 16 feet up and range an object at 40 yards (120 ft.) it is 119 feet from the base of your tree so you are off by 1 foot.

None of these distances are enough to affect your shot for hunting purposes.
This is my first bow and 2 weeks old. I'm my target is a bag with a small deer pointed at it. My goal is to achieve a grouping like I've seen so many guys here get. I'm hitting it 95% of the time, just not in the X. This is normal for a new shooter?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts