Archery Talk Forum banner

rangefinder question

684 Views 12 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  dward
Anybody have or know of a rangefinder that can be used real early morning or late evening that you can see the yardage readings(maybe backlight in unit) in low light conditions? Thanks
TM
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
5,351 Posts
A guy I hunted with in Ill. last year had something like this. Instead of a black digital read out it had a red display that could be read in the dark. I liked this alot but have not been able to find it. Maybe you'll have better luck. My guess is that it is pretty expensive too. I just dropped my rangefinder on Sat. and couldn't find it. I had to settle for another cheap one. I used to hunt without one so how bad could it be?

· Straight Shooter
6,661 Posts
Yep, I was just using mine last night. Mine is a Leica CRF 1200. They also make a CRF 900, in addition to others. It's nice and simple, just click once to turn it on, and then click again to range. The aiming point is a red LED square, and the numbers are also red. No problem seeing these against ANY background.

The cost is in the $500 range, and with the clarity of the optics, was worth every penny to me.

I believe Swarovski also makes a rangefinder with a colored display.

· Registered
1,989 Posts
This is just a thought, but it seems that if it is too dark to read your range finder, might it also be too dark to shoot as well? It seems that it wouldn't matter how far if it's too dark. Like I said, just a thought.

· Registered
1,140 Posts
This is just a thought, but it seems that if it is too dark to read your range finder, might it also be too dark to shoot as well? It seems that it wouldn't matter how far if it's too dark. Like I said, just a thought.
Slickster obviously has never gotten up in a tree before daylight hours and as twilight is starting to break and there is just enough light to start seeing trees and landmarks wanted to get some ranges so that when the deer shows up in 20 minutes he'll already know the ranges.
Just a thought....:rolleyes:

· tmolina
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ttt

Never said I was going to shoot anything if it was too dark, just would like to be able to get distance reading as soon as I am in position at hunting location....Thanks for the info guys....TM

· Straight Shooter
6,661 Posts
Slickster obviously has never gotten up in a tree before daylight hours and as twilight is starting to break and there is just enough light to start seeing trees and landmarks wanted to get some ranges so that when the deer shows up in 20 minutes he'll already know the ranges.
Just a thought....:rolleyes:

+1 :darkbeer::darkbeer: Apparently not.....

Or even ranging into a hemlock grove several hours after dawn. Lots of dark shadows sometimes.

· Archer helping Archers
1,361 Posts
The bushnell elite 1500 have a backlight. The only problem is if it's really dark, and you can barely see out of it, as soon as you click the button, the light comes on blinding you, and you can's see until the light shuts back off.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.