Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
DefiantShooter
10,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nikon or Bushnell?

Looking for one of the newer/smaller rangefinders....I'm used to Bushnell, but understand the Nikon has the 1/2 yard reading....Any other pro's/con's?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Leica 800

Don't know if you are strictly going between those two or not, but I picked up the Leica 800 off ebay a few years ago and have been thrilled. No frills, just click once to get the red square, center that...click again and you have your number. I have gotten readings of up to 834 yards with it too.

·
Banned
10,353 Posts
lol, personally, judging from the speed of even a slow bow by today's standards, a 1/2 yard reading as opposed to a 1 yard reading means exactly zilch IMO. Especially when you take in to account the ranges at which most bow shots occur.

I have the Bushnell Yardage Pro Sport that ranges from 10-800 yards, even though I have had it read as low as 6 yards and as high as 820 yards. No bells and whistles like ya said, just a very compact, trust worthy unit.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
I have a Nikon 440. The size is great. I've also had a Bushnell and a Weaver rangefinder. I think the Nikon is the best because of better and more powerful (8X) optics. It's so small, you won't even know it's in your pocket. The downside on your less expensive rangefinders is the LCD display. It's black on both Bushnell and Nikon, and can be difficult to see in dark areas.

·
Premium Member
17,587 Posts
PABowhunt4life said:
lol, personally, judging from the speed of even a slow bow by today's standards, a 1/2 yard reading as opposed to a 1 yard reading means exactly zilch IMO. Especially when you take in to account the ranges at which most bow shots occur.

I have the Bushnell Yardage Pro Sport that ranges from 10-800 yards, even though I have had it read as low as 6 yards and as high as 820 yards. No bells and whistles like ya said, just a very compact, trust worthy unit.
Have you used this rangefinder while hunting yet? The reason why I ask is because I bought a Bushnell Yardage Pro Bow years ago and it worked great in the open but because it did not have a rain, scan or zip feature it would not work very well in a treestand setting.
It would not read thru small branches, leaves, etc and gave bad readings on foggy, rainy and snowy days.
Just curious because I would like to buy a rangefinder but don't want the repeat hassles.

·
Banned
10,353 Posts
The older ones had that hassle, but I have used this thing in all sorts of conditions and it has never failed me. I can honestly say that my old Bushnell did have the problems you speak of. One rainy October morning it just wouldn't register a thing due to the fog and darkness of the woods.

Like I said though, I truly believe Bushnell has fixed that problem with their newer models. Regardless, whether it be the Nikon or the Bushnell, you can't go wrong IMO.

·
Premium Member
17,587 Posts
PABowhunt4life said:
The older ones had that hassle, but I have used this thing in all sorts of conditions and it has never failed me. I can honestly say that my old Bushnell did have the problems you speak of. One rainy October morning it just wouldn't register a thing due to the fog and darkness of the woods.

Like I said though, I truly believe Bushnell has fixed that problem with their newer models. Regardless, whether it be the Nikon or the Bushnell, you can't go wrong IMO.
That sounds good and thank you for the reply. I may give that rangefinder a try.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I too use a Bushnell yardage pro. I like it a lot, and it does what I want it to do. The only thing that bugs me about it is that it's camo. And I have lost that thing while sitting down, and had my hand right next to it.

·
Registered
754 Posts
azarrowflinger said:
I too use a Bushnell yardage pro. I like it a lot, and it does what I want it to do. The only thing that bugs me about it is that it's camo. And I have lost that thing while sitting down, and had my hand right next to it.

Yeah, I understand that!!

Wy would anyone want a camo wallet/flashlight/binos/rangefinders, and on and on. You might as well get camo fletchings,lol.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
I have both a Nikon 440 and a Bushnell yardage pro sport. The Nikon is way better...it's smaller, has an 8X lens vs a 4X on the Bushnell, measures 1/2 yard and is more accurate than the Bushnell.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
no doubt, the nikon is better, I have had both, and I have tried several bushnells ( I owned two that broke, and tried a scout that had very poor optics). The nikon has much clearer optics and it is smaller. I think it reads faster as well.

I have the 600 and I would never buy another bushnell.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
hey silverback, how far have you ranged a deer(nonreflective target) with that 600.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
I just got it a couple of weeks ago, so not very far,
i mainly got the 600 because it is 6 power instead of 8 so it would let more light in
I have used it on nonreflective targets (but not deer) out to 300 yards

but I can say, in my opinion, that is is superior to the bushnell as far as clarity, especially in low light.

·
In 'Da Head
24,266 Posts
I've had a Bushnell for several years and I haven't been exactly nice to it. I haven't even changed or removed the batteries since I got it. It has been in 20 below weather and a hot vehicle. It has been dropped, submergered and mud coated on more than several trips. I just used it yesterday at the archery range and it spits out a yardage just as well as the day I bought it. I have no experience with Nikon though.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I had a bushnell and had nothing but trouble out of it. I sent it back three times and the fourth time it broke I replaced it with a Nikon. It works great but the optics on both of them are disappointing. Neither of mine worked well in low light conditions in the early morning.

-lee-

1 - 17 of 17 Posts