Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can began to see the rangefinder's class slowing being offered in 3D shoots here in New Mexico and some in Colorado.

Ladies, would you shoot in a rangefinder's class if it was offered in your state or club?

All thoughts are welcome.

I really want your imput and respect your opinions.

Thanks!:smile:

·
Registered
7,588 Posts
known distance

I have been wondering how the female archers feel about this one. ASA is gonna have known distance on the second day soooooo why don't we embrace this as a positive change? I don't know about using a rangefinder in a tourney, maybe if it were a two day shoot, using a day to practice judging yardage is good. My judging is not what it should be, of course the hubby says I need to practice more....I do the best I can with what time I have, as I am sure all other women do!!! It has gotten better this year, I have shot a lot of tournaments and it is improving. Like I have heard people say, you still have to hit the spot you are aiming at, even if you know the yardage.

So, this is my opinion, everyone is entitled to their own. I am waiting for next year and see how it goes. It should be interesting....:)

·
Registered
46,224 Posts
Here's my opinion....No! and I'll tell you why...we have known distance shoots at my archery club(s)...and knowing the distance does not seem to help the archers...you'd expect to see the score's up by 20 points or more but the general stay the same....weird huh? In, most case the "guys/gals" that shot the best and consitently win will try to go after the twelve more and even though they know the yardage they still drop out or around the twelve.

Also I think for a lot of people the fact that they "know" the yardage makes them not "aim" harder (if you understand what I'm saying).

Besides I've found out over the years I'm better at judging yardage then I am at shooting:wink: :tongue:

·
Registered
7,588 Posts
I understand the 'not aiming harder' thing. It seems that if you walk up to a close target you get to licking your lips thinking it is a gimmie and then end up shooting like crap. A real challenge would be to set targets from 5-10 yards, that puts a whole new dimension on the game!! Anyway, like I said, I am gonna shoot next year, known distance or not and have fun. That is what it is all about anyway. If you love to shoot, it doesn't matter if you know for sure how far away the target is or if you have to guess, just make a good shot no matter what!!

·
Registered
46,224 Posts
Abs......I kinda like the new ASA format, I think it will be interesting to shoot some known and un-known. I'm not sure if I'll be able to make it to any of the ASA shoots next year or not.

But I personally wouldn't shoot in a rangefinder class.....but have no objections to the class itself.

5-10yrd class...now that might get a bit tricky...as I have an aversion to intentionaly hitings other's arrows( to my own detriment, I find it hard to aim and others arrows:embara: )

·
Registered
7,588 Posts
I may have strayed from the original post, there is a rangefinder class at the club I shoot most often and I won't shoot in it. However, at the ASA's next year I will be looking forward to the known distance day. Try to shoot one next year if you can, you will enjoy it. This was my first year shooting the big tourneys and I really like them.

·
Registered
46,224 Posts
Abs, I've been shooting ASA for about 3-4 years....I agree everyone should shoot ASA at least once:)

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
I personally like to judge yardage, I spend a lot of time practicing with the rangefinder and I think that knowing the yardage takes half the fun out of
3D......however with that being said I still plan on shooting at least one ASA next year :wink:

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank You!

Thanks ladies,

I find your imput and your opinions interesting.

I had no idea what your responses would be and often wondered what the women thought about a rangefinder's division.

I totally understand the challenge and enjoyment of estimating yardage along with still having to make a good shot.

I personally have had no luck in judging yardages because of one bad eye and was sitting out the 3D game until one day, I thought, why not ask the club let you shoot your rangefinder after everyone else is out, by yourself, and not complete.

I just wanted to shoot 3Ds!

The club bought it and to my surprise, at least four clubs in the Four Corners area now offer a competitive rangefinders class and 40 % of the paticipants are women.

How about that!:wink:

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
There are some shoots here that are Marked yardage. I choose NOT to shoot them. I like the challange of judging yardage. I don't see the difference between a Marked and a Rangefinder class. I am sure if it was offered some people would shoot it. I would not be one of them.:wink:

·
Registered
290 Posts
My first reaction was that would be great, because my yardage judging isn't great. But then that wouldn't help me get ready for deer season or improve. I usually take rangefinders with me the first time I go to a stand and figure out distance on trees, etc., but the deer usually don't go where I hope they will. I keep the same setup for 3D and deer season, so I'm completely comfortable when I finally get a shot.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I kinda am leaning toward liking the known yardage day with ASA. I think that it will enhance the competition. Besides, I too take a rangefinder when I hunt.

·
Stirring the pot...
882 Posts
I have only shot one marked yardage 3D tournament and did very well. It was fun. However, I like the challenge of figuring out the yardage on my own. It is a weak area for me and I need the practice, especially to improve for hunting. I would probably shoot another marked tournament if it is offered again but I don't know if I would shoot rangefinders class regularly. I think having the option would be nice just to do something different.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Ok here is my two cents. No I do not see much of a need for 3-D shoots w/ range finders for me. If you pratice then you know the distance w/out the range finder. Now I will admit I am out of pratice right now, but when I was shooting I was pretty on target. But unless the range finder class stated I had to use it i would shoot it w/out one.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts