Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright folks, I have an issue. Less than 30 days till season, not alot of cash on hand and my old Bushnell Yardage Pro finally took too much abuse over the last 8 or 10 years and is no longer reading accurately. I checked it against my dads today and confirmed it is 2 or 3 yards off at 20 and worse at 40. It was on last week before I dropped it on the grass again. Looking for reviews on newer models. But keep in mind that I am NOT interested in and angle compensating range finders as I do not believe the hype on them and I don't get over 20 ft in a tree (mostly hunt from blinds anyway). This will be used for both archery and rifle, but I will not shoot at an animal farther than 400 yards in perfect conditions (300 normally) so I don't need a 1000 yarder either. I am more interested in the lower models actually so I am looking for indo on the following, but wouldn't mind hearing about the others.....

Thoughts on:
Simmons
WildGame Innovations (r400 or r500x)
Bushnell Yardage Pro Laser Sport 850
Nikon Prostaff 550
Redfield Raider

Thanks

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
If i was you id go.with the nikon theyre a trusted name in optics lol. Wildgame i havent heard very good reviews about most of there stuff

·
Registered
436 Posts
There is a nikon 400 on ebay. Price is still reasonable. That is the one that i have.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. Been doing some research tonight and after reading as many reviews as I could, I have narrowed it down to the following......

Redfield Raider (great reviews and limited lifetime warranty)
Bushnell Yardage Pro Laser Sport 850 (no reviews yet)
Nikon Prostaff 550 (mixed reviews and 1 yr warranty - most bad reviews about the unit breaking just after warranty expired)

Looking for more info on these 3 now as you can forget about the others. The redfield is in the lead, but we need more votes......

·
Registered
378 Posts
I have the bushnell. Bought it last year and it works great. I have used it for both bow and rifle applications and am very happy. It has a 4x magnification and I use it has great way to get a closer look without carrying bino's. Good luck

·
Registered
411 Posts
If you are considering the Nikon 550, for the same amount of money you can pick up a leupold RX600. I have one and it is a great rangefinder, clear, accurate, and Leupold Customer Service is great! Tuff lil booger too, been dropped multiple times from 25 ft up, been out in the weather, still chuggin along. Its still under 200 bucks too i believe. I have looked through the Nikon 550 and it was no comparison.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you are considering the Nikon 550, for the same amount of money you can pick up a leupold RX600. I have one and it is a great rangefinder, clear, accurate, and Leupold Customer Service is great! Tuff lil booger too, been dropped multiple times from 25 ft up, been out in the weather, still chuggin along. Its still under 200 bucks too i believe. I have looked through the Nikon 550 and it was no comparison.
Thanks, never considered that one as I did not think Leupold made one that inexpensive. Will take a look. Anyone else?

·
BIG FRANK....
8,398 Posts
Alright folks, I have an issue. Less than 30 days till season, not alot of cash on hand and my old Bushnell Yardage Pro finally took too much abuse over the last 8 or 10 years and is no longer reading accurately. I checked it against my dads today and confirmed it is 2 or 3 yards off at 20 and worse at 40. It was on last week before I dropped it on the grass again. Looking for reviews on newer models. But keep in mind that I am NOT interested in and angle compensating range finders as I do not believe the hype on them and I don't get over 20 ft in a tree (mostly hunt from blinds anyway). This will be used for both archery and rifle, but I will not shoot at an animal farther than 400 yards in perfect conditions (300 normally) so I don't need a 1000 yarder either. I am more interested in the lower models actually so I am looking for indo on the following, but wouldn't mind hearing about the others.....

Thoughts on:
Simmons
Nikon Prostaff 550
Redfield Raider

Thanks
Alright here's what you do because I just did it....Take your old Rangefinder and send it back to Bushnell......I had one older than yours and they said it could not be fixed, it was to old, so they sent me an invoice that said... We will send you a replacement, the new,yardage Pro model Sport 850, for $136.00...Then I asked what would it cost me to have ARC....They said they would sell me the new Bow Hunter, Chuck Adams Edition with ARC, For $147.49.....Which is the same as the 850, but with ARC...Another $11.49 more....But you can get a great deal on any of the RF, you don't have to settle for the Model they put on the Invoice.....It only took about 5 to 6 days to get here....Anyway I'm pleased with the price and product.....Now that will probably be on Contingent, that your RF cannot be Fixed, either way you will get your old one fixed, or get a good one(your Choice) real cheap...Because the one I got retailed for alittle over $300.00....:thumbs_up:darkbeer:

·
Registered
123 Posts
Simmons , mine great and price was great too. I believe it's another bushnell with out there name on it. Because when I purchase it , it came with a rebate and the adress was to bushnell .

·
I have OCAD
3,531 Posts
Alright here's what you do because I just did it....Take your old Rangefinder and send it back to Bushnell......I had one older than yours and they said it could not be fixed, it was to old, so they sent me an invoice that said... We will send you a replacement, the new,yardage Pro model Sport 850, for $136.00...Then I asked what would it cost me to have ARC....They said they would sell me the new Bow Hunter, Chuck Adams Edition with ARC, For $147.49.....Which is the same as the 850, but with ARC...Another $11.49 more....But you can get a great deal on any of the RF, you don't have to settle for the Model they put on the Invoice.....It only took about 5 to 6 days to get here....Anyway I'm pleased with the price and product.....Now that will probably be on Contingent, that your RF cannot be Fixed, either way you will get your old one fixed, or get a good one(your Choice) real cheap...Because the one I got retailed for alittle over $300.00....:thumbs_up:darkbeer:
I would do this. I did this with two rangefinders of different brands but got great results with customer service. Also my Bushnell scout 1000 was one of the best rangefinders I have used. I know yours is the 850 but Bushnell makes a great product for a reasonable price.

·
74,535 Posts
Nikon 550 would be my choice.

I dont have a qlue how old my Nikon 440 is but its atleast over ten years old and gets used year round 3d and hunting. Batteries last for ever and Im not easy on this stuff.

Bushnells never held up or are as accurate.

Leupold is making some fine stuff now.
DB

·
Registered
11,660 Posts

Thoughts on:
Simmons
Nikon Prostaff 550
Redfield Raider

Thanks

out of those, the nikon would be tops, and the redfield a verrrrry close second

·
Registered
11,660 Posts
I would be inclined to do this before anything

·
Registered
689 Posts
i have been using the bow mounted vendetta for 2yrs and been loving it .they have come down in price since a bought mine 299.00.works out to 70 yrds and right on the mark.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I looked at both of these also. the only thing I didnt like about the leopold is all the gadgets and cluttered screen. Yes it will do fancy things but Im not sure its neccesary. I like the nikon as well. I have lots of nikon optics and have had no issues at all. Still have not made the decision yet. If you like fancy gadgets get the leupold, if you want to point and shoot get the nikon.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
I'm in the same boat, my Bushnel yardage pro( legend) died. I have been looking hard at the Redfields, I almost bought one today while at cabelas. I like the Nikons, but I like the price of the redfields alot better. They get pretty good reviews from what I have seen.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts