Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I normally don't watch hunting shows. I find them a little too focused on the kill and not enough on the hunt. Anyway, I watched about 5 minutes of one tonight b/c nothing else was on, and I'm tired (don't feel like thinking enough to read a book at the moment). A guy is hunting whitetails somewhere like Alaska or Saskatchewan, in a blind. A nice huge buck (is there any other kind?:wink: ) comes in the the clearing, stops broadside for a good 30 to 1 minute, and the guy shoots it. Fine, didn't expect anything else.

And then it happened. He began pontificating to the camera that he was not totally sure that shooting that deer was the right thing to do b/c he was only 10 minutes into the first day of this 5 day hunt. He thought he made the right decision, but wasn't sure, thought he might see a better buck, but this one was too good to pass up, blah blah blah. What made me mad was not that he had these thoughts. What made me mad was that he had them and did not answer them BEFORE HE PULLED THE TRIGGER!!!!!:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

If you're going to shoot anything, I believe you should be absolutely sure it's the right decision. Now, I know that most people would have those questions in such a situation; you pay lots of money and take the time to go to a fantastic location, get the tags, etc. and don't want to waste your experience. Still, if you can't be absolutely certain that this is the deer/bear/whatever you are going to take; if you aren't 100% positive that it is the right animal at the right time....WAIT! Don't ask these questions after pulling the trigger. It's too late to put the bullet or the arrow back. Thanks for listening. You can return to worthwhile things now.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Heck, just be glad it was a good broadside shot. The more shows I watch, the more these guys think they're God and can shoot them quartering-to, frontal, through brush, wherever they want to. I doubt too many of them even know what NBEF stands for... let alone took the course.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts