Archery Talk Forum banner

Rapid Rails Opinions

4507 Views 28 Replies 21 Participants Last post by  ALo314
Has anyone used the ameristep rapid rails? I was thinking about getting a set. I use the old stick type ladder steps now. How easy to use are they and are they good and sturdy. Any opinions would help. Thanks.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
34 Posts
Rapid Rails

They are easy to put up and very light to pack.

However, I find with really big cold weather boots, they are a little tight fitting on the rungs. It's not a show-stopper, but in my opinion not as easy to climb up with large boots as a ladder. Also, when putting up your stand, you are unable to keep both feet at the same level as you can with some ladders, which makes hanging your stand a little tougher. Again, not impossible by any means, but just a little drawback.

Overall, I like them and they definitely have their place in my treestand gear. Their lightweight and easy installation make up for some of the minor drawbacks I mentioned above. Good luck!

· Registered
36,987 Posts
Best steps made , hands down .. I have owned 2 sets for 14 years and just bought a new set this year ....

· Registered
5,226 Posts
Rapid rails

I actually build my own rapid rails out or 3/4" conduit and they are awesome for trees that are not straight. They also work if you want to spin the steps around the tree as you go up, or you could go from one tree to another if two trees are close enough together. I have done all of the above.
Another thing I do on public ground is remove the bottom section and install when I hunt, that way it keeps friends out of my tree.
The aluminum ones are lighter but the steel rails work just as good for the budget minded hunter like myself.

· Registered
36,987 Posts
Here is a pic of my Rapid Rails in action .. There are 7 in this tree which has my stand at 28 ft' , I always take the first 2 down at the end of every hunt ..

Attachments

· Registered
2,491 Posts
The places I go, there doesn't seem to be a straight tree on the place. I started with a regular climbing stick, but switched to the rails for the versatility. I like to dodge limbs and follow the lean in a tree.

· Registered
36,987 Posts
I've been contemplating these. You getting about 4' per rail????
The stand in the pic has 7 rails and the stand is right at 28' , my other stand has 6 rails and is 24' high .

I just went and bought another new set of rapid rails last weekend at Gander Mt . $100.00

· Vendor
85,248 Posts
Climbing sticks

Well I have just bought two sets of Lone wolf sticks. The Mini's and the regulars. I figured that with the Mini's it would be easier for my son to climb the tree to hunt with me. But This morning. I stopped at walmart and they have two boxes of the 3 pack rapid rails for $60 a box. Im thinking about buying both boxes to put up for later. Whats your thoughts??

· Registered
5,226 Posts
Rapid Rails

Here are the one's that I make and I love them for certain tree types and or using them to extend a ladder/stixs that do not quit reach far enough. Also I usually pull the bottom section, because I mostly hunt public ground, and I do not have to worry about theft or someone stinking up my stand.

Attachments

· Registered
68 Posts
Anyone ever fill them with expanding foam to quiet the clanging? Alot of guys do, I have'nt yet, I'm a little concerned about corrosion. I love my rails, I'm done screwing in steps, fast and safe..

· Registered
209 Posts
I have the rapid rails and I have the Lone Wolf Climbing Sticks and hands down I think the lone wolf sticks are quieter, more versatile, and easier to climb and decend and I also like their strap system alot better. But they both will get you to your stand. JMO

· Registered
1,375 Posts
Here are the one's that I make and I love them for certain tree types and or using them to extend a ladder/stixs that do not quit reach far enough. Also I usually pull the bottom section, because I mostly hunt public ground, and I do not have to worry about theft or someone stinking up my stand.
Those are pretty sweet! How much do you think a section weighs?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.