Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking for a second opinion on my limbs. It’s a 2014 hoyt faktor with a lot of miles. I just about dropped it off at the shop today for new strings and was about to leave when they flagged me down and said the limbs were pretty bad. Bad enough to consider replacing before putting on new strings.
To this point, I had considered the delamination not so serious since it was only on the limb corners. I’d like to get another couple years out of this bow, but maybe it’s time. it has been like this for some time, though maybe getting a little bit worse over time.
what say you?
Bicycle Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Tire

Tire Bicycle tire Motor vehicle Wheel Automotive tire

·
Shootin and Cussin
26,175 Posts
I'd think about replacing them but it looks ok to shoot.

·
Registered
Mathews Traverse
3,992 Posts
looking for a second opinion on my limbs. It’s a 2014 hoyt faktor with a lot of miles. I just about dropped it off at the shop today for new strings and was about to leave when they flagged me down and said the limbs were pretty bad. Bad enough to consider replacing before putting on new strings.
To this point, I had considered the delamination not so serious since it was only on the limb corners. I’d like to get another couple years out of this bow, but maybe it’s time. it has been like this for some time, though maybe getting a little bit worse over time.
what say you?
View attachment 7649938
View attachment 7649939
How'd ya the frank above the beans?

I personally wouldn't shoot it but I have a fear of stuff breaking.

·
Registered
21,874 Posts
Same problem I have always had!

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
The possibility of a catastrophic failure exists with just about everything. If I had that problem, I'd run a flexible epoxy down the delamination and shoot it. If it occurred in a second spot, I'd go for new limbs.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
If it's just an edge splinter -as per the 2nd pic - and I've had plenty - just lift the splinter as far as possible - superglue or epoxy and clamp it to set. Should be OK - if the crack is across the limb - and likely to compromise the integrity of the limb - that's a different ball game and time for new limbs

Reactions: alwayslookin

·
Registered
28,699 Posts
I had a 60# Bear takedown recurve delaminate the top limb during a shot. The limb literally broke in two with the bottom portion staying in the pocket and the top coming over my draw shoulder and thumping me in the back pretty hard. Now figure how much additional tension compound limbs are under.....constantly.....and you might want to reconsider what the shop has to say. In this case, they don't sound like they are just trying to sell you something and offering sound advice on being safe. As Dale noted, it is unlikely that the factory is still stocking those limbs unless they were continued for different models of bows. If that is your only bow, it is time to shop for a newer model.....AT classifieds or your dealer for a brand spanking new one as determined by your budget. That will allow you time to shop around for a used set of limbs or another bow to swap limbs for this one to be your backup. Barnsdale limbs are another option.....if your older bow is worth that to you.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts