Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night we were out antelope hunting and when we were sneaking in the ditch, we ran into these. I stepped right over them, and then realized what they were. I started shouting to my hubby "stop snake, stop snake!!!". (luckily the antelope we a long ways away, or they would have heard me) They are all coiled together in one big heap... Maybe mating... I don't know I'm not a snake expert by any means. But, one didn't have any rattles, and one didn't feel the need to use his/hers. :eek:
Needless to say, on the entire hike, I was extremely skittish!!! :smile: On a good note, I got within 35 yards of 3 bucks, but couldn't get a shooting lane!!! It's an incredible feeling to set up and have them come in so perfect... Hopefully one day I can get it all to come together.

Attachments

·
Registered
36,982 Posts
makes you look before your next steps huh ?

·
74,535 Posts
We were on a deer count the other night

We killed a 4' western on the road.

·
Registered
19,453 Posts
Tanya,

You had nothing to be afraid of, they dont have any heads.....hehehe That adds to the excitement of the hunt :tongue:
Hang in there, you'll get your lope! :)

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Their nerves were still making them curl up so I was feeling a little spooked holding on to them, yeah I could imagine one coming around and latching on to me... :eek:
A 4' western would absolutely get my attention. These are prairie rattlers. Usually we don't see them this big, the one had 9 buttons. It seems like I am always the one to find them. I don't know if my hubby just walks over them, or if I just have really bad luck.....

·
Registered
12,018 Posts
I've never had an "up close and personal" with a rattler, but I've come across countless Copperheads when hunting, and fishing. Once, while on vacation on Skyline Drive my wife, and I saw something in the road, and I went around it on the driver's side, and looked at it out the side window. She asked me "what was that", and I told her "a Timber Rattler". She thought I was messing with her, until we got to the next scenic overlook, which was called Rattlesnake Overlook. I could NOT get her out of the car. :D
The Eastern Timber Rattler is the biggest of the Rattlesnakes, and is one badass snake.

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/wildlife/vsnakes.asp

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
2005Ultramag said:
I've never had an "up close and personal" with a rattler, but I've come across countless Copperheads when hunting, and fishing. Once, while on vacation on Skyline Drive my wife, and I saw something in the road, and I went around it on the driver's side, and looked at it out the side window. She asked me "what was that", and I told her "a Timber Rattler". She thought I was messing with her, until we got to the next scenic overlook, which was called Rattlesnake Overlook. I could NOT get her out of the car. :D
The Eastern Timber Rattler is the biggest of the Rattlesnakes, and is one badass snake.

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/wildlife/vsnakes.asp

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
We use to find a bunch of easterns, but over the past few years with all the development down here we are not seeing that many. Here is one of my that I caught and released on a fed refuge down here.

Attachments

·
Registered
757 Posts
The Eastern Timber Rattler is the biggest of the Rattlesnakes, and is one badass snake
Sorry dude but Eastern Diamondback Rattlesnakes get waaaaaay bigger than Timber rattlers do. We killed one on our land years ago that measured 6ft 4 inches long and specimens have been found that were over 7 feet long.

·
Registered
840 Posts
rattler

i almost got bit dove hunting in western kansas a few years ago. i was in shorts and tennis shoes. the dove fell right on top of him in some tall grass. my hand was a foot from the dove when the snake came out from under him ready to strike. he could have had me if he wanted. it was a small prairie rattler. he got the 12 gauge. made the land owner a hat band for the new hat i got him. closest i have ever came to getting bit. scared me bad!!!

·
Registered
803 Posts
Keep them snake boots on ESPECIALLY this time of year.... Gone

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Down here in Texas, I have had a few run ins with rattlers. I was "scouting" a area and walking down a game trail... something was not "right" so I stopped, coiled rattler 6 feet in front of me. Shot it with my bow , 4.5 feet long. It was a little cool that morning and it never rattled.Scared the p!$$ out of me.
Last year in Sanderson mule deer hunting, walking to my "stand",lol,actually a pit in the ground....nothing taller than a couple feet out there, saw some movement... 2 foot rattler. Went back to camp and grapped my shotgun..Goodby mr rattler. I now own rattle snake chaps,lol

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.