Archery Talk Forum banner

Rattling and Grunt Calling

698 Views 7 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  bdeal
Has anyone tried/had much response with either of the two? I read that someone rattled in and shot a buck a few days ago. Anyone else have any luck or is it still a little too early?
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
9,544 Posts
i've never rattled in a deer, but to be fair, i havn't tried very much. I've had more luck bringing in does with a buck grunt, than actually bringing in bucks. most bucks i've grunted at have heard it, and went the other way. I was probably using too "mature" of a grunt sound, i'm not sure. every time out i tell myself i'm going to rattle and stuff, but i rarely actually do it.

· Registered
4,458 Posts
My dad tried a little light rattling on Saturday morning with no luck. I haven't called anything in yet this season. But I have only seen two does so far this season.

· Registered
1,863 Posts
I have had no luck with grunting, bleating or rattling in NE Florida. I have had deer (as stated above) walk the other way when they heard it. I am certain it is me but no matter how much I practice it does not work for me. I have watched video's to no avail.

· Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know for sure it works. I'm just looking to see if anyone has seen it working yet this year.

For those who have had no luck with either of the two, just wait for the rut. Just throw some horns together and watch 'em come in.

· Registered
257 Posts
I wouldnt do any hard rattling this time of year. Maybe some very soft tickling of the antlers but nothing crazy. I heard a couple small bucks doing a little bit of rattling. If you are going to do it just tickle them a little.

· Registered
5,628 Posts
It's getting close.
I've had more luck calling in bucks than i have rattling, but the combination can be fantastic if the conditions are right.
Cold front hit tonite, it's raining right now, so i think tomorrow might be a good time to start.

· Registered
1,004 Posts
rattled in and killed my first buck with the bow many years ago, but have only rattled in 2 more since (although I don't do it a lot). I have killed 2 or 3 bucks because they responded to the grunt call and passed on 2 or 3 others. Most of the time, they don't respond, but every once in a while they do. Had a nice doe come in when using a fawn distress call one year on opening day, but she smelled me as I was drawing back from about 15 yards. Have had absolutely no response from the can, but I keep trying it every year during the rut.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.